CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Wine in Cincinnati?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wine in Cincinnati? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/20/2018 4:54:45 AM   
Yossarian

Looks like a trip will be on the horizon for me, hopping over the pond from London to Cincinnati!!

Any recommendations for restaurants and wine bars? Gotta get this stuff planned in before booking any hotel etc.

As a side note, the people inviting me over obviously thought I was some 1800s Irish potato farmer ("It will a great opportunity for you to come to America") as though I would be in awe of such an incredible once in a lifetime opportunity to escape the village of London!

Looking forward to it though!

New April 2021 Mix Here

Post #: 1
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/20/2018 5:00:45 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

Looks like a trip will be on the horizon for me, hopping over the pond from London to Cincinnati!!

Any recommendations for restaurants and wine bars? Gotta get this stuff planned in before booking any hotel etc.

As a side note, the people inviting me over obviously thought I was some 1800s Irish potato farmer ("It will a great opportunity for you to come to America") as though I would be in awe of such an incredible once in a lifetime opportunity to escape the village of London!

Looking forward to it though!

(you had me at, "Cincinnati...")

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 2
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/20/2018 5:20:33 AM   
musedir

Seriously... do they have wine in Cincinnati?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 3
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/20/2018 5:37:43 AM   
Eddie

Yes, they do have wine in Cincinnati, and some good wine stores.

Paul, I'm about 90 miles from Cinci, close enough to drive up for dinner, if you'd like to meet up. I can show you some very good places to eat. The Over-the-Rhine area has a number of reputable restaurants and watering holes, all within convenient walking distance of each other. You can park at the Fountain Street parking garage and walk anything in that part of town.

When will you be there?

Edited to add: The wine stores to which I refer above, will all be "off-license". There are a few wine bars downtown, and while they have a charming ambience, the selection of wines will not be up to the standard you enjoy in London. The best options for drinking wine, if you want better bottles, will be in someones home, or your hotel room, or perhaps in the kitchen with a friendly restarateur. To that end, if you haven't already arranged your lodgings, I can connect you with a owners of a delightful B&B, which is about a mile from the Over-the-Rhine area, overlooking it, with a splendid view from a high mount. They would be happy for us to bring in wine, and sip it on the porch overlooking the city and the Ohio River.

< Message edited by Eddie -- 1/20/2018 5:46:36 AM >

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 4
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/20/2018 6:28:04 AM   
Eddie

P.S. In the event that you'll be there during March 8th-10th, you can participate in the 2018 Cincinnati Wine Festival.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 5
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/20/2018 10:36:40 AM   
Smaragd

quote:

We americans can be that way...It's an odd quirk. We haven't figured out yet that our quality of life isn't the highest in the world. Strangely, some who HAVE figured that out, seem to want to blame Europe rather than emulate them. Apologies.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 6
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/20/2018 6:16:39 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

America, the land of the free and home of the ignorant. Well, at least you'll get away from the werewolves for a while. Remember to pack some limes so you don't get scurvy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Seriously... do they have wine in Cincinnati?

I hear they have both kinds of music there too - country AND western!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 7
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/20/2018 9:09:50 PM   
jmcmchi

20+ years ago, on a trip over from London, I was taken to a locally famous ribs place...plastic bibs, good beer, I don't recall any wine

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 8
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/20/2018 9:15:50 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

20+ years ago, on a trip over from London, I was taken to a locally famous ribs place...plastic bibs, good beer, I don't recall any wine

Who needs wine with BBQ ribs and beer? There's only one other thing I like better than BBQ that you get a plastic bib when you order it - CRABS! I don't mean crab cakes, or even Alaskan snow crab legs.... I'm talking about Maryland Blue Crabs, baby! Whole crabs in Old Bay, with a container of drawn butter on the side. Give me & my wife a mallet and an aluminum cracker and get out of the blast zone. Whack! Yummy.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 9
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/21/2018 4:53:43 AM   
Yossarian

Its a part of America I have never been to, so looking forward to it. Not sure of times yet - sometime over the next 2 months probably.

If Ribs and beer are the local things, then ribs and beer is what I'll be having. I tip my hat to the Americans when it comes to all things bbq related.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 10
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/21/2018 5:31:45 AM   
Smaragd

quote:

Its a part of America I have never been to, so looking forward to it. Not sure of times yet - sometime over the next 2 months probably.

If Ribs and beer are the local things, then ribs and beer is what I'll be having. I tip my hat to the Americans when it comes to all things bbq related.

Ribs and Beer are not really the thing in Cincinnati. Well, the beer is OK. Cincy is more like a northeastern city, but more provincial and somewhat influenced by the worst parts of the south and midwest. The only regional food they are known for is "Cincinnati Chili" -- which is not at all good chili but rather a kind of fast-food chili with spaghetti noodles in it. They may want to share this with you ... order small try to choke some down if you are polite.

Above poster is correct, downtown Cincy and "Over the Rhine" neighborhood (it was a German immigrant city) is now full of interesting restaurants, so you should eat and drink well there.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 11
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/21/2018 6:34:15 AM   
smahk

I was in Cincinnati last spring and have a fabulous dinner at Orchids at Palm Court in the Hilton Hotel voted one of the top ten dining establishments in USA (not sure by who) but I will say tasting menu was fabulous, service impeccable and the Somme (Meredith)” I think) is a NYC transplant. Deep, deep wine menu.

The walk over the bridge to Kentucky was interesting... did NOT enjoy the “chili” over spaghetti

Cin Cin!

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 12
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/22/2018 7:26:29 AM   
Anthonyiez

Just be glad you're not going during the 4th week of november

https://youtu.be/QEYyBU7FqZ0

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 13
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/22/2018 4:27:18 PM   
khmark7

quote:

You are fk'd. They do have a marathon called the "Flying Pig", so i took the liberty of signing you up.

Seriously, can you request a 24 hour layover in Chicago??

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 14
RE: Wine in Cincinnati? - 1/22/2018 4:48:46 PM   
Smaragd

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

You are fk'd. They do have a marathon called the "Flying Pig", so i took the liberty of signing you up.

Seriously, can you request a 24 hour layover in Chicago??

LOL

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wine in Cincinnati? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI