CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

South African Farm Seizures

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> South African Farm Seizures Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
South African Farm Seizures - 8/20/2018 11:43:12 AM   
Poppacork

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the South African wine industry. I imagine that it will create tremendous downward pressure on land values and discourage new investments.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/world-economy/south-africa-begins-seizing-whiteowned-farms/news-story/8937f899bd3f131bfc4ffb648ea5c53b
Post #: 1
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/20/2018 12:07:49 PM   
cigar52

If they can successfully expropriate the land of Farmers I would guess they would be looking at productive Wine Farmers next.

(in reply to Poppacork)
Post #: 2
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/20/2018 1:54:32 PM   
khmark7

The article is from April, and this topic has been gathering a good amount of international interest this year, so it would be interesting to follow the developments, but it also becomes very political and probably best debated elsewhere. All i will say is that it is never possible to rectify the sins of the past, you can only move forward.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to cigar52)
Post #: 3
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/20/2018 2:26:03 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

it also becomes very political

Which is why I haven't made any comment on it, as every time I started typing I realized Eric would give me the boot if I hit the OK button to submit my post. I figure if I'm gonna get myself axed from yet another forum, I'll make it really worthwhile and go out in a blaze of glory. This topic isn't up to that kind of incendiary standards so I won't waste a good rant.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 4
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/20/2018 6:53:27 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

it also becomes very political

Which is why I haven't made any comment on it, as every time I started typing I realized Eric would give me the boot if I hit the OK button to submit my post. I figure if I'm gonna get myself axed from yet another forum, I'll make it really worthwhile and go out in a blaze of glory. This topic isn't up to that kind of incendiary standards so I won't waste a good rant.

LOL You’re on thin ice

Rick

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 5
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/20/2018 7:51:24 PM   
Slye

quote:

The article is from April, and this topic has been gathering a good amount of international interest this year, so it would be interesting to follow the developments, but it also becomes very political and probably best debated elsewhere. All i will say is that it is never possible to rectify the sins of the past, you can only move forward.

Now that is a topic that I have spent most of my professional life studying and consulting. To oversimplify, one needs to address the past sufficiently in order that one can move forward. And of course the question then is, what is sufficient? Happy to chat offline more about this if you want. SA has had both successes and failures in this regard. (SA is one of the places where I have done a bunch of this work.)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 6
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/21/2018 3:33:26 AM   
khmark7

Slye, don't have your email. You PM? Curious to hear your thoughts?

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 7
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/21/2018 9:24:00 AM   
dsGris

Just reroute over to Wine Berserkers, no shortage of political views and discussion over there.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 8
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/21/2018 9:26:41 AM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

Just reroute over to Wine Berserkers, no shortage of political views and discussion over there.

Yes, though the general tenor and tone supports the decision here to avoid such topics. :-)

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 9
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/21/2018 9:50:48 AM   
Ibetian

I haven’t been on WB in a while, since each time I got an Amazon users pop up that seemed like some kind of virus.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 10
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/21/2018 12:05:42 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ibetian

I haven’t been on WB in a while, since each time I got an Amazon users pop up that seemed like some kind of virus.

You don't use AdBlocker?

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 11
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/21/2018 1:55:14 PM   
dsGris

I just try not to embarrass myself too badly, but that doesn't seem to faze many others over there.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 12
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 4:46:26 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye
Now that is a topic that I have spent most of my professional life studying and consulting. To oversimplify, one needs to address the past sufficiently in order that one can move forward. And of course the question then is, what is sufficient? Happy to chat offline more about this if you want. SA has had both successes and failures in this regard. (SA is one of the places where I have done a bunch of this work.)

Not that he needs the affirmation, but Slye might know more about African issues of truth and reconciliation than anyone else in the US. It is an inherently political topic, but he approaches it not from the remove of (whichever) ideology, but the reality of a lifetime in direct contact with all African factions working to find resolutions that do the most good and least further harm. If you are involved in the offline conversation he's well worth listening to.

< Message edited by hankj -- 8/24/2018 10:55:16 AM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 13
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 5:58:28 AM   
Poppacork

I would like to hear Slye's thoughts on the issue if there is a discussion via PM.

My intent on starting the public thread here was only to engage in discussion on how this may effect the SA wine industry.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 14
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 8:31:57 AM   
fingers

quote:

Is there a SA thread over there? I’m not seeing anything, especially with Slye’s input

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 15
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 10:03:00 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

quote:

Not that he needs the affirmation, but Slye might know more about African issues of truth and reconciliation than anyone else in the US. It is an inherently political topic, but he approaches it not from the remove of (whichever) ideology, but the reality of a lifetime in direct contact with all African factions working to find resolution that do the most good and least further harm. If you are involved in the offline conversation he's well worth listening to.

We have some amazing people in this forum.

And then there's me.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 16
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 1:05:48 PM   
Slye

quote:

quote:

Not that he needs the affirmation, but Slye might know more about African issues of truth and reconciliation than anyone else in the US. It is an inherently political topic, but he approaches it not from the remove of (whichever) ideology, but the reality of a lifetime in direct contact with all African factions working to find resolutions that do the most good and least further harm. If you are involved in the offline conversation he's well worth listening to.

Oh dear, that is embarrassing. Thanks for the kind words Henry! I would be happy to chat with people via pm on this issue, though I have not been following the details that closely. I did note that there was some support for changing the Constitution to provide for no compensation for expropriated property, which is worrisome. I can understand how 100% market compensation might be problematic given the country's history, but zero seems to raise its own serious problems. I am reluctant to start a discussion or participate in a discussion on WB, as I am afraid it may quickly devolve into political polemics. I do not profess to either know everything that is being contemplated in SA, nor what should be done to address historical injustices there. I do strive to learn more by following some of the SA papers, and chatting when I can with friends in SA with whom I trust.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 17
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 1:07:25 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

quote:

Not that he needs the affirmation, but Slye might know more about African issues of truth and reconciliation than anyone else in the US. It is an inherently political topic, but he approaches it not from the remove of (whichever) ideology, but the reality of a lifetime in direct contact with all African factions working to find resolution that do the most good and least further harm. If you are involved in the offline conversation he's well worth listening to.

We have some amazing people in this forum.

And then there's me.

My recollection is that you are pretty amazing as well! At a time when online forums can quickly become toxic, this one has remained pretty focused on topics that interest us all, who probably have very different views on many other things. That is both a tribute to Eric and how he has nurtured the space, but also to the vast majority of us, including you recotte, who participate.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 18
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 1:28:18 PM   
KPB

I really like the tone of the board these days, hope we all continue to stick to these policies.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 19
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 3:27:16 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I really like the tone of the board these days, hope we all continue to stick to these policies.

+1

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 20
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 3:56:06 PM   
CranBurgundy

....and then there's me, posting with my head in the guillotine, monitored constantly by Eric who has his hand on the release lever.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 21
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 4:21:07 PM   
BenNoir

quote:

quote:

Yes, though the general tenor and tone supports the decision here to avoid such topics. :-)

+1

Troll avoidance is essential to a peaceful hang out.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 22
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 5:35:45 PM   
dsGris

I agree, we can discuss sensitive issues without becoming political. I works really well to write a post, think a bit and delete. You can get it off your chest without offending others.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 23
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 7:11:16 PM   
KPB

quote:

....and then there's me, posting with my head in the guillotine, monitored constantly by Eric who has his hand on the release lever.

Like wine, the tone would be dull if everyone was cut from the same mold. So a moldy curdgeon or two adds a certain spice and verve. Heck, Eric has been ready to pull that lever on me more than a few times. I’m a moldy SOB myself.

But the key is to not get angry at one another. None of us is a saint beyond some threshold, but nobody said we had to be saints. Just interested in wine.

So... Keep it coming!

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

Post #: 24
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 7:31:22 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

I’m right there with you Dennis but I am channeling my Inner Peace, calmer self. You and I just need to not comment on any France threads. . I promise not to.

Rick

Post #: 25
RE: South African Farm Seizures - 8/24/2018 7:34:18 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

quote:

Like wine, the tone would be dull if everyone was cut from the same mold. So a moldy curdgeon or two adds a certain spice and verve. Heck, Eric has been ready to pull that lever on me more than a few times. I’m a moldy SOB myself.

But the key is to not get angry at one another. None of us is a saint beyond some threshold, but nobody said we had to be saints. Just interested in wine.

So... Keep it coming!

Ken...Great post and totally agree.

Rick

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> South African Farm Seizures Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI