CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Another wine fridge post

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Another wine fridge post Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 8:59:28 AM   
Eddie

We need to replace a dead 24-bottle wine fridge. I'm soliciting recommendations for wine fridges in the 24-36 bottle range. Our defunct one was an inexpensive model we ordered from Wine Enthusiast and we were never happy with it...it was cantankerous, and quit after about 3 years following a slight leakage from a bottle, which caused an electrical short. Which fridges in that size range are reliable and long-lived?

V horam in quodam loco est.
Post #: 1
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 9:24:17 AM   
WineGuyCO

Allavino from Beveragefactory.com is a good choice but you MUST get extended warranties for these things. I don’t know if Beverage Factory has anything out on the East Coast. Allavino is there own brand and I’ve been happy with mine. They also carry a lot of the major brands too. Their people are very knowledgeable. I’m sure there are similar companies closer to you.

Rick

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 2
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 9:52:04 AM   
PinotPhile

We had a 50-bottle Marvel unit that was still going strong after 15+ years. Donated it to make room for a new 92-bottle cooler from Costco. For small coolers I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Cheers!

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 10:24:11 AM   
davo22

I did a lot of recent research on this subject. Similarly highly underwhelmed with my previous purchase that was a nightmare of continual repairs and failing parts after about 3 years. What I learned is you buy a wine fridge from a manufacturer with a long track record of making refrigeration products in general. In a certain price category wine fridges are the same. All made from the same recycled set of Chinese made parts that fail. Kick your wallet up a bit and it’s a different game. Like another said, Marvel is first class and worth the investment. Couldn’t be happier with my decision and from what I’ve read these units can run for decades without fail.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 4
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 11:15:57 AM   
Eddie

All the Marvels I see are "built-ins". We are looking for a freestanding model. Marvel is also WAAAY too expensive.

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 5
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 11:51:42 AM   
CranBurgundy

Danby's 36 bottle unit has served me well (x4 now). Just over $200 with free shipping!:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-18-in-36-Bottle-Wine-Cooler-with-One-Temperature-Zone-DWC93BLSDB/203686806?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD29A%7CMulti%7CWhirlpool%7CPLA%7C71700000036365208%7C58700004382753193%7C92700036834799724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8ZbEhMXA3gIVElqGCh3Jfg60EAYYASABEgJVyfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 6
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 11:53:02 AM   
PinotPhile

Are you a Costco member? We were pleased with the cooler we purchased there about 2 years ago. Decent price and they extend the warranty. Just an idea...see they have stores in KY.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 7
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 12:00:56 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

Are you a Costco member? We were pleased with the cooler we purchased there about 2 years ago. Decent price and they extend the warranty. Just an idea...see they have stores in KY.

We aren't members. They require detailed bank account information (including number) on their application.....I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily supply that.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 8
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 12:02:05 PM   
River Rat

Over 10 years ago I purchased the 50/53 bottle unit from Home Depot Magic Chef/Vissani. Bought two more since and all three are still in use. 2 in my home and one in my Step-Sons home. One required a $50 part a couple years back otherwise no issues.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-23-4-in-W-50-Bottle-Wine-Cooler-in-Stainless-Steel-HMWC50ST/300509607

< Message edited by River Rat -- 11/6/2018 12:08:10 PM >

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 9
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 12:23:24 PM   
Poppacork

This is the 52 bottle Frigidaire branded unit that i'm using. $400 at Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-52-Bottle-Capacity-Stainless-Steel-Built-In-Freestanding-Wine-Chiller/1000436083

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 10
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 1:01:48 PM   
mye

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

quote:

We aren't members. They require detailed bank account information (including number) on their application.....I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily supply that.

ahm wha? i don't think this is true.. anyone else experienced that??

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 11
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 1:05:11 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

quote:

quote:

ahm wha? i don't think this is true.. anyone else experienced that??

Well it's certainly true at the one in Lexington (or at least was when I inquired about membership). That's why I didn't join.

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 12
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 1:27:11 PM   
RedLoverJim

I started out with a Danby (I think 32 bottle dual zone), then got another, before getting a Wine Enthusiast BYO for 500 bottles. The Danby units actually held up better for the few years I had them, and for the price I'd get another if I had the need.

As a digression, the WE BYO cooling units just didn't seem to hold up, and aren't easily serviceable. I had to replace the cooling unit, then the replacement didn't work out of the box and WE told me to just discard it and they sent me another. I kept the non working one in the box, eventually sold the whole thing to friends when I moved and included the non working cooling unit. As it turns out, a friend of ours knows enough about HVAC that he got it working for them as a backup. What a retired guy with a little know how and free time can do, a service tech was going to charge in labor more than the unit was worth.

RLJ

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 13
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 1:44:46 PM   
SteveG

quote:

quote:

Not sure what was going on in the store you visited, perhaps they were trying to sell you on the Costco Visa card which doubles as membership ID, but since you can purchase a membership on line for a third party as a gift, I'm pretty sure it doesn't require much beyond payment.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 14
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/6/2018 5:47:24 PM   
RedRedMoreRed

+1 on Danby's. I've got two 75 bottle units that have been going strong for 8+ years.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to SteveG)
Post #: 15
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/7/2018 1:37:06 PM   
GalvezGuy

I have had a Danby going 13 years strong.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 16
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/12/2018 2:36:20 PM   
CBJB

Ditto on Costco. We are in a fairly remote part of the NC mountains and they still delivered for free and got it in to the laundry room.

Lovin' life in the NC mountains!

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 17
RE: Another wine fridge post - 11/13/2018 4:15:43 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

All the Marvels I see are "built-ins". We are looking for a freestanding model. Marvel is also WAAAY too expensive.

My understanding is that the "Built In" units have better cooling units than the freestanding one. I bought a built in unit but just have it freestanding in my living room. Beverage Factory told me this but maybe they just wanted me to get a more expensive unit? Being a former salesman I'm always a sucker for a great sales pitch. I bought it hook, line and sinker.

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 11/13/2018 4:17:22 PM >

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Another wine fridge post Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI