CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Walla Walla rocks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Walla Walla rocks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Walla Walla rocks - 2/11/2019 8:59:04 PM   
mwest

I have been drinking Walla Walla wines pretty consistently the last fifteen years. I feel like I gave a pretty even bead on what producers are doing in the valley. I get the one hit wonders and follow the ones I like vintage to vintage.

Right now for the rocks I am digging:

Delmas
Buty
Sleight of Hand
Cause
Saviah

Who are you currently appreciating from the rocks?

Post #: 1
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/11/2019 9:26:05 PM   
Wine Gopher

Coincidentally I did a side-by-side of the 2014 CT Barrel Project (SJR) and 2014 Reynvaan Unnamed tonight. I preferred the Reynvaan but for about half the price the CT Barrel Project was a great deal.

(in reply to mwest)
Post #: 2
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/11/2019 10:51:39 PM   
BenNoir

I recently dropped Reynvaan to make room for Delmas and

The Walls Vineyards Concrete Mama

ben

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 3
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 3:16:24 AM   
khmark7

Getting more into Rotie Cellars.

Less into Reynvaan due to pricing.

Anyone else making grenache wines in that area? (besides Rasa who i know about)

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 4
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 5:41:02 AM   
Slye

My current favorites are Cayuse, Horsepower (though just dropped them), Delmas (just added) and Rotie.

On grenache, there is obviously Cayuse and Horsepower, but also Rotie. Though I am not sure if Rotie's is from the Rocks (their Northern blend now is). Were you asking about WA generally, or just the Rocks?

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 6:47:17 AM   
MaineMark

I am relatively new exploring the region.

I first learned about Delmas on this boards. In fact, I think it was reading through a posting about the Cellar Project, where SJR vineyard was mentioned, and then a little more digging, that I found Delmas. Still pretty new, I have only had a couple of bottles but really liked them, and liked the overall profile. This year I also sprung for their extra release in Magnum, The Peddler (any one else get that?)

At the top of the food chain, I got an allocation for Hors Categorie this year, and have two bottles on order. That price tag is a big bite for this region, but got sucked into the hype around the winemaker and the vineyard, and decided to go for it. I also am planning to do a first-order (3-pack) from Horsepower later this week.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 6
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 7:19:40 AM   
mqvn

I think syrah is the most popular grape from this region, and so most vineyards are growing syrah. However, there are a few other varietals that I see out there - Cayuse has especially been great with trying out grenache, tempranillo, cabernet, cab franc, etc. from the area.

Any other producers making wines from the Rocks using varietals other than syrah?

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 7
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 9:33:59 AM   
BRR

I realize the OP is asking about Rocks AVA fruit, but don't overlook the killer Syrah (and Grenache) being made by the folks at Elephant Seven. Lots (all?) of their fruit comes from Yellow Bird Vineyard up near the Blue Mountains. If you're looking for a little less overt funk and more of a savory and peppery expression of Syrah, these folks are doing really cool stuff. That, and their price point is killer.

Cheers!

(in reply to mqvn)
Post #: 8
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 9:53:10 AM   
CranBurgundy

Oh, I thought the OP was simply saying that wines from Walla Walla are awesome!

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 2/12/2019 9:58:48 AM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 9
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 10:04:53 AM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

I realize the OP is asking about Rocks AVA fruit, but don't overlook the killer Syrah (and Grenache) being made by the folks at Elephant Seven. Lots (all?) of their fruit comes from Yellow Bird Vineyard up near the Blue Mountains. If you're looking for a little less overt funk and more of a savory and peppery expression of Syrah, these folks are doing really cool stuff. That, and their price point is killer.

Thank for the Rec, most of the wines from the Blue Mtns I got were from Nicolas Cole and subsequently Tranche Cab Franc. Rotie is a perennial favorite and with retirement and not needing wines that take forever to age, I am buying them and Result of Crush. Proper, related to Rotie is another that gets some regular interest. Now that I am on the Cayuse list, I force myself to buy a few. I had a hard time deciding on No Girls, so kept the Temp and Ganache, dropped the Syrah this year. Second year for the Delmas, yet to drink any. Plenty of CT SJR to fill the gap.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 10
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 10:10:42 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

So it's more in the style of a Cornas?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 11
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 10:38:48 AM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Gopher

Coincidentally I did a side-by-side of the 2014 CT Barrel Project (SJR) and 2014 Reynvaan Unnamed tonight. I preferred the Reynvaan but for about half the price the CT Barrel Project was a great deal.

The 2016 CT Project (part of release featuring the DryCab Cab/Merlot blend) is SJR Vineyard, Walla Walla. Got 3 of those. At a price of $50+, I wouldn't call it a great deal but it was a splurge in honor of Brad. Any thoughts on that wine? And, Cran's question about Cornas raised my curiosity.

Any Cornas-like value Syrahs out there from Walla Walla? Absolutely no experience w/Cornas. Due to $$$$.

< Message edited by PinotPhile -- 2/12/2019 7:08:24 PM >

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 12
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 11:19:59 AM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Gopher

The 2016 Drycab is SJR Vineyard, Walla Walla. Got 3 of those. At a price of $50+, I wouldn't call it a great deal but it was a splurge in honor of Brad. Any thoughts on that wine? And, Cran's question about Cornas raised my curiosity.

Any Cornas-like value Syrahs out there from Walla Walla? Absolutely no experience w/Cornas. Due to $$$$.

I haven't pulled the cork on any of the 2016 CT Barrel wines yet. I've liked everything I have drank with SJR fruit (Rotie, Gramercy, Rasa & Delmas) so it was an easy decision to me when it was offered. I will probably hold off at least another year before opening my first 2016 CT wine.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 13
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 11:29:47 AM   
skifree

quote:

Thanks BRR! I get enough Cayuse that I am not looking for more wine in the Rocks style. I like No Girls a lot, but dropped them as they will only ship via UPS. Will check out Elephant Seven, your descriptors match the type of Syrah I like.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 14
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 1:12:13 PM   
the_lovenest

I think one of the best bangs for the buck in the rocks is Two Vintners Some Days Are Stones. It's $50 and is great vintage to vintage. It's not quite as knock you over the head savory as Baron's wines but it's always tasty, I'd say its just a small step toward more traditional WA syrah from Baron's style. At release Reynvaan's gotten too rich for my blood, but it's frequently available on the secondary market for well below release price, so we've been socking some away as we find them. I think for the price we've been paying for secondary market Reynvaan it might be our favorite.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 15
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 3:23:30 PM   
musedir

quote:

Rotie, Gramercy, Rasa & Delmas

I love Rocks wines — Sleight of Hand, Rotie, Rasa, Buty, Delmas and Grammercy. I understand that Rotie was/is considering building a tasting room at their vineyard in the Rocks district. And, of course, the CT Project. I have No Girls in the cellar but got dropped from the list this past year.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to the_lovenest)
Post #: 16
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/12/2019 6:17:15 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

My current favorites are Cayuse, Horsepower (though just dropped them), Delmas (just added) and Rotie.

On grenache, there is obviously Cayuse and Horsepower, but also Rotie. Though I am not sure if Rotie's is from the Rocks (their Northern blend now is). Were you asking about WA generally, or just the Rocks?

Probably could start a new thread. Rhone varietals from the west coast ($50 and under) - recommendations...

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 17
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 10:01:30 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

So it's more in the style of a Cornas?

I'd say yes, in some cases. The Yellow Bird Vyd. Syrah ($37) is co-fermented with Viognier (8%), so I'd say maybe Cote Rotie?

< Message edited by BRR -- 2/13/2019 10:05:03 AM >

Cheers!

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 18
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 10:03:17 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

quote:

Thanks BRR! I get enough Cayuse that I am not looking for more wine in the Rocks style. I like No Girls a lot, but dropped them as they will only ship via UPS. Will check out Elephant Seven, your descriptors match the type of Syrah I like.

Please do. I'll be really interested to learn what you think of them. I have come back toward this style for one major reason: non-wine-geeks, by and large, really don't enjoy that super-meaty-funky thing that so many Rocks Rhone varieties exhibit. My wife, for one. So, since I drink most of our wine with her, I'm limiting the Rocks fruit wines to come extent.

Cheers!

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 19
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 10:29:10 AM   
the_lovenest

quote:

Please do. I'll be really interested to learn what you think of them. I have come back toward this style for one major reason: non-wine-geeks, by and large, really don't enjoy that super-meaty-funky thing that so many Rocks Rhone varieties exhibit. My wife, for one. So, since I drink most of our wine with her, I'm limiting the Rocks fruit wines to come extent.

We feel this way about a lot of the wines we love, not just Rocks stuff. Finding people not on the boards that are simpatico with our tastes has been difficult (though we do have a few dear friends who are our age and have largely similar taste to us which has been wonderful). The parents by and large don't really like anything that isn't new-world bdx varietals which we're not drinking tons of these days, so no AFWE anything, no Pinot, bubbles, or German Riesling, and if we poured them Horsepower they'd probably hate it even though it's weighty enough for them. Most of our friends would probably like Rocks wine or at least find it interesting, but once they saw the price tag, they'd think we're insane, most are not really financially able or willing to support the type of compulsive disregard for solvency a wine habit like ours tends to induce; a coke habit would probably be cheaper and draw less side-eye from that group honestly.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 20
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 11:20:53 AM   
Jenise

Big Reynvaan fan here; in fact, I own more Reynvaan than any other single producer, period. Also like Saviah's The Funk (own two bottles that were gifts but haven't purchased any), have bought Two Vintners Some Days are Stone, which is a bit dialed back from Reynvaan but still funky, and recently loved Kevin White's l'Hommage which is as good a Hermitage style wine as I've had from this state and just $30 per bottle. For value, nothing beats that.

Someone mentioned Concrete Mama--isn't that cabernet, not syrah?

(in reply to the_lovenest)
Post #: 21
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 11:33:54 AM   
motoring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

Someone mentioned Concrete Mama--isn't that cabernet, not syrah?

The Walls offers two Concrete mama's syrah or grenache

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 22
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 1:10:20 PM   
dsGris

I will agree on the Kevin White wines. They are in my comfort zone for drinking, sharing and gifting. A regular buy whenever Full Pull offers, but I think they are Yakima fruit.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to motoring)
Post #: 23
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 7:34:20 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

I will agree on the Kevin White wines. They are in my comfort zone for drinking, sharing and gifting. A regular buy whenever Full Pull offers, but I think they are Yakima fruit.

Boushey Syrah, DuBrul Cab, some others Elephant Mountain, etc... I think. Not sure if Kevin uses any W2 fruit.

Rotie and CT are my current W2 Rhone sources, Full Pull private label too. All still under $50. Rotie at $35 for us early believers is now being rewarded with mostly Rocks fruit.

Lots of good Syrah in Washington and the NE corner of Oregon. I've heard it grows pretty well here.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/13/2019 7:41:33 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 24
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 7:40:02 PM   
BornToRhone

A bit late to the game, but I like the Reynvaan wines and the Rotie Cellars Northern Blend. I don't buy anything from list more than these, although I have enjoyed the Rasa wines as well. I have bought a few Cayuse on the secondary market but only because my Reynvaan are a bit too young to drink.

For Cabs, I am on the Doubleback list and like the Rasa cabs as well.

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 2/13/2019 7:41:00 PM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 25
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 8:04:17 PM   
nmw

Big fans of Reynvaan, about 12% of our cellar and we don’t hesitate to enjoy it. I find Matt’s wine are a bit more feminine then Cayuse which we also like a whole lot. Give them some time to age and wow. For a special treat look for some MTR.

Have also enjoyed some select offerings from K Vintners. And then there’s Rotie Cellars. Very Cayuse like but I get uncontrollable sneezes.

Overall a great winemaking region and even better to visit.

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 26
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 10:15:39 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

Variously Olsen, Bouschey, dubrul, ElephantMountain that I have drunk

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 27
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/13/2019 10:37:32 PM   
ob2s

If you buy from Full Pull look for Two Vintners Syrah. QPR is unmatched in WA. No it isn't a $19.99 Rotie Northern, but it is worth every penny.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 28
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/14/2019 8:52:22 AM   
agbanker

My favorites for Syrah from the Rocks in order of preference - Proper, Rasa, Cotie, Sleight of Hand.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 29
RE: Walla Walla rocks - 2/14/2019 9:04:06 AM   
Poppacork

We enjoyed a 2015 Rotie Cellars Northern Blend last night with some NY strips on the grill. Reminded me of a Cayuse Syrah, but lusher and fruiter. Good stuff.

(in reply to agbanker)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Walla Walla rocks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI