CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/24/2019 6:04:57 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

Not sure why so much general confidence that Washington State red wines are gonna be palatable 20 years after vintage. I've had a few that were fine at that age, many more that were well out of their prime and overwhelmed with rancia funk (or gone over the hill in a variety of other ways), including Leonetti, both reserve and regular.
I've had probably 10-15 Washington Cabs/blends in the 15-30 year range, one that was 50 years old, and never had a bad experience. Luck of the draw maybe, but the acid and tannic structure is there and if stored properly, they last. I have quite a few I have cellared myself going past 10 years, and I really don't worry about them aging out. I'd wonder about cork failure as being a primary cause of problems described as rancia funk.

Syrah from WA is a completely different animal in my experience and I've have some of those fall apart after 5 years, many not last to 10 years. I need to start pounding that side of my cellar.

Chris,

I am with you. I recently drank a couple of older Cayuse wines (2004 Widowmaker and 2002 Flying Pig) that I thought although ready could still be spectacular for another 10-15 years. The Columbia Crest Walter Clore Reserve is another great ager that drinks well young but still keeps going. I would not be at all surprised to see WA Bordeaux varieties make it well past 21 at a great range or price points. I think it is the lively acidity that you mentioned that allows them to age effortlessly. I also think back to a 24 year Quilceda Creek cab that I had last year. It was still spectacular. Hard to go wrong with the Leonetti suggestions here.

I just drank a 2002 Cayuse Camaspelo BDX Blend about a month ago. My impression was that it was 3 years past peak and falling off quickly. But the 2012 a month before that was incredible.

I do know that a lot of people are deep in WA State BDX wines, and really think they age wonderfully. To each their own! Personally I'm generally unhappy with wines that come across with a lot of elements of organic decomposition. I don't really like big soft Brunellos with a lot of age for instance.

Will say too that this idea that WA State wines are both high alcohol and high acid is only half true. I hear people all the time call WA State reds high acid when what they really are noticing is sharp astringency. No matter what else is going on with a wine, no matter how dense it is, if it's acidic it will make you salivate, the more saliva the more acidic. All of these 14.4% alcohol on the label, 15.3% in reality WA State reds are just too ripe to have a lot of acid, no matter what the "cold nights good acid" marketing myth says. We tasted through a 10 year vertical of Leonetti Reserve several years back (didn't really like 8 out of 10, though all were high 90's Parker darlings), and I would call all of those wines low to mid acid, except the 2007 which was mid+. But high tannin/high astringent. We all know that w/o acid wine won't age cleanly, maybe not a turn off for wine geeks, but most ordinary people find lower acid old red wines gross, no matter how much tannic structure they have to prop them up.

Anyway though, I will say I've had some pretty good 20 and 30 year old WA red wines, almost never the ones you'd suspect, rather more modest bottles stored perfectly. And again we all have different palates, and I'm quite fussy about even mildly off aromas in aging wine. But the OP probably will be just fine buying WA red for 20 year cellaring. In good conscience I think I can say that red Bordeaux is far more of a sure thing, but Leonetti isn't bad, particularly the non-reserve Cabernet. I suppose it wouldn't be a mistake.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 31
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/24/2019 6:12:05 PM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

PS: Many of the suggestions above are "untested" in the sense that a lot of people are suggesting ideas that nobody has 25 or 30 years experience with -- so if you assume your son won't be hitting these often and won't even start until age 25 or so, if you went with those, be aware that you run a risk that after a long time, some wines won't be good to drink anymore. Most people who say that they have good experience cellaring wine mean for 10 or 15 years, maybe 20 or 25 at the extreme outside. And many of the wines mentioned are places that weren't even making wines 25 years ago.

Not saying that those ideas are bad. Just that you want to factor in the "but does it age well?" dimension, and that can be quite a mystery for some modern wines.

Tahbilk planted their Marsanne grapes in 1927 (a youngster compared to their 1860 Shiraz). Tahbilk regularly opens museum Marsannes that are older than 20 years. Leo Buring planted riesling grapes in 1945 and you can often get 1970s Leo Buring at auction that are still drinking nicely.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 32
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/24/2019 6:48:15 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Nevermind

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 4/24/2019 7:25:58 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 33
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/24/2019 7:01:59 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Double never mind

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 4/24/2019 7:26:38 PM >

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 34
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/24/2019 7:34:09 PM   
CranBurgundy

You're both playing that Nirvana album? Shouldn't that info be in the dedicated thread "Today's Music Mix"?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 35
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/24/2019 7:40:59 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

You're both playing that Nirvana album? Shouldn't that info be in the dedicated thread "Today's Music Mix"?

Grunge is indeed highly acidic. But not as much as Hendrix.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 36
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/24/2019 8:28:56 PM   
desertwine

2017 Ridge Montebello
A classic 1st class wine that will just be coming into it's own in 20 years.

My backup plan - drink a wine I know will be good!

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 37
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/24/2019 10:10:00 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: desertwine

2017 Ridge Montebello
A classic 1st class wine that will just be coming into it's own in 20 years.

Excellent choice... but only a couple of bottles will fit in the $300 budget. Maybe 1 750 and a few 375s....

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to desertwine)
Post #: 38
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/25/2019 9:27:39 AM   
brettlaurvick

Met a woman recently that instead of just a birth year wine, is purchasing a single bottle every year for her kids and cellaring them till they are 21.
Haven't heard that one and thought it was unique. Just an alternative instead of going big in 1 year.

Brett
Owner - Cellar Fifty-Five Wine Storage, Sarasota

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 39
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/25/2019 11:08:22 AM   
lazyriver

That's a great idea!
quote:

ORIGINAL: brettlaurvick

Met a woman recently that instead of just a birth year wine, is purchasing a single bottle every year for her kids and cellaring them till they are 21.
Haven't heard that one and thought it was unique. Just an alternative instead of going big in 1 year.

(in reply to brettlaurvick)
Post #: 40
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/26/2019 6:29:23 AM   
GWW

If it was me I’d look toward Tour Saint Christophe, it will cellar the time and you’ll get 6 bottles in your budget. It’s an upcoming vineyard from Bordeaux under new ownership.

Alternatively I would look to UCO valley in Mendoza Argentina, you can certainly get some amazing reds that will cellar and be a lot better value than the old world wines of France Italy etc.

GWW on CellarTracker, my cellar is open to view

(in reply to lazyriver)
Post #: 41
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/26/2019 8:39:30 AM   
KPB

High acidity isn't a guarantee of longevity, unless we are talking about Madiera (which does have high acidity and will last forever, but isn't everyone's cup of tea).

Lots of very tart wines just have their fruit fade away with age and remain very acidic forever!

In fact after drinking wine my whole life I still have a lot of difficulty guessing at how a wine will age. With experience from some particular region like CDP or Cote Rotie or Bordeaux, you start to get a sense of what the wines that were great at age 18 tasted like at age 3. Then you can taste a young wine and sort of guess -- but there are many winemaking interventions (added acidity being a major one) that can confuse the taster and lead to a wrong guess.

You also have the issue that only some wine grapes and regions and styles yield genuinely long-lived wines. Bordeaux in the old style did. Less clear about Bordeaux in the modern very ripe style: my sense is that if a Bordeaux is delicious on release, you shouldn't try to hold it for 30 or 40 years. Burgundy, on the other hand, at the high end of the spectrum, does drink well young and yet also can age really well.

If I look at Napa, there are specific wines that seem to age very well. But different winemaker, same site, and you get wines that don't age very well at all...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to GWW)
Post #: 42
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/26/2019 8:50:47 AM   
lazyriver

quote:

If it was me I’d look toward Tour Saint Christophe, it will cellar the time and you’ll get 6 bottles in your budget. It’s an upcoming vineyard from Bordeaux under new ownership.

GWW – Incredible you should mention this. My parents bought a few bottles from Saint Christophe (my namesake) in '91 and we tried them in '15. The reds had soured but the desert wine (can't remember what it was..need to dig through some old photos) was truly one of the most incredible things I've ever had.

(in reply to GWW)
Post #: 43
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/26/2019 9:04:42 AM   
GWW

Tour st Christophe changed hands a few years back, I’ve got the 15,16,17,18 vintages. They are all mid 90 points some towards high 90 points. As far as quality versus price, it’s right up there in my opinion. Uco valley in Argentina is also great value at the moment especially with the devaluation in peso. Also the Salta region.

Best of luck with your search

GWW on CellarTracker, my cellar is open to view

(in reply to lazyriver)
Post #: 44
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/26/2019 11:35:52 AM   
Smaragd

Prüm - Spätlese, Auslese, or Trockenbeerenauslese

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 45
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/26/2019 7:35:59 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smaragd

Yeah those are can't miss picks for not too pricey

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 46
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/27/2019 3:42:34 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smaragd

Yeah those are can't miss picks for not too pricey

really?
I believe the TBA (if you can find it) is well over $500 per bottle.

edit--oops I was wrong

< Message edited by S1 -- 4/27/2019 3:48:32 PM >

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 47
RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar - 4/27/2019 6:16:35 PM   
CranBurgundy

2017 Prüm was over $30 for Spatlese and around $40 or more for Auslese - and that was purchased pre-arrival.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Recommend me something 2017 to cellar Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI