CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Did anyone else buy 2018 Soos Creek "Reserve" futures last year?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Did anyone else buy 2018 Soos Creek "Reserve" futures last year? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Did anyone else buy 2018 Soos Creek "Reserve"... - 1/22/2020 1:58:30 PM   
BRR

I know there are some big fans of the wines Dave Larsen puts out here in Washington under his Soos Creek label. I was just looking at my pending delivery list in CT and was reminded of the four bottles I bought from Soos Creek. What was unique (and I'm going from memory here) is that it was a futures program...the first for Soos Creek, AFAIK. The wine is/was a 2018 Soos Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Red Mountain Reserve for $35.

That's all I can remember. According to my data, I bought (or entered the purchase) on August 29, 2018. Did any of you do this? Do you know anything more? I can't find the email or any other information.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Post #: 1
RE: Did anyone else buy 2018 Soos Creek "Reserve&q... - 1/22/2020 2:01:20 PM   
BRR

Well...did a little more digging and found this email, which was also in August 2018:

Dear Friends,

Many of you have inquired about the status of our Reserve wine that you purchased through our futures offering. So this message is to give you an update on the status of that wine.

I just completed the first tasting trials for the wine and am already fairly certain of the blend. I am planning on it being 100% Cabernet Sauvignon comprised of block 21 from the Klipsun vineyard, and the 1982, 1994 and 2001 blocks from Ciel du Cheval.

We were fortunate that 2018 was such an excellent vintage and I am very happy with my winemaking. I think the pressure of living up to the high expectations I created for the wine motivated me to raise my game.

I expect we will bottle the wine in June of next year and release it immediately.

I want to thank those people from the past that suggested I make a reserve style wine and especially our longtime volunteer, Phil Edwards!

Cheers,
Dave

Cheers!

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 2
RE: Did anyone else buy 2018 Soos Creek "Reserve&q... - 1/22/2020 2:01:43 PM   
BRR

< Message edited by BRR -- 1/22/2020 2:02:27 PM >

Cheers!

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 3
RE: Did anyone else buy 2018 Soos Creek "Reserve&q... - 1/23/2020 9:18:26 AM   
hankj

not buying futures, but have had a couple maybe 4 or 5 years ago that were a little frizzante, not what I'm looking for in a BDX blend. Probably unfair but it put me off the label.

Regarding trying a label and rejecting it permanently after 1 or 2 negative experiences, a wine marketing class I took once gave evidence that this consumer tendency is very strongly millennial. Boomers and Gen X will return and reconsider; millennials tend to get burned once and move on forever because the understand consumer markets as chock-a-block with choices. It's irrational I think, and probably my only millennial trait! Moral of story lots of strong palates like Soos Creek, so I need to try again :)

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 4
RE: Did anyone else buy 2018 Soos Creek "Reserve&q... - 1/23/2020 12:25:05 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

not buying futures, but have had a couple maybe 4 or 5 years ago that were a little frizzante, not what I'm looking for in a BDX blend. Probably unfair but it put me off the label.

Regarding trying a label and rejecting it permanently after 1 or 2 negative experiences, a wine marketing class I took once gave evidence that this consumer tendency is very strongly millennial. Boomers and Gen X will return and reconsider; millennials tend to get burned once and move on forever because the understand consumer markets as chock-a-block with choices. It's irrational I think, and probably my only millennial trait! Moral of story lots of strong palates like Soos Creek, so I need to try again :)

Hi, I cannot remember whether you attended when I invited Dave to our Seattle Tasting Group? Is that where you had the "frizzante" experience? I don't remember that from the tasting.

BRR, I did not buy any of the futures. PM me if you need Dave's contact info to find out status on those. I have run into Dave a couple of times recently at our local Starbucks (he lives a mile away from me); he seems well.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 5
RE: Did anyone else buy 2018 Soos Creek "Reserve&q... - 1/24/2020 8:31:22 AM   
BRR

Thanks, skifree.

I loved that tasting with Dave. What a great guy, and great wines.

Leave it to hankj to come on this thread and not answer my question but, instead, use it as a platform to give a backhanded...compliment?...to another WA winery.

Cheers!

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 6
RE: Did anyone else buy 2018 Soos Creek "Reserve&q... - 1/24/2020 8:30:03 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

Hi, I cannot remember whether you attended when I invited Dave to our Seattle Tasting Group? Is that where you had the "frizzante" experience? I don't remember that from the tasting.

BRR, I did not buy any of the futures. PM me if you need Dave's contact info to find out status on those. I have run into Dave a couple of times recently at our local Starbucks (he lives a mile away from me); he seems well.

I missed that tasting! I did get the frizzy wines from you though. Either bad luck or poor taste in ski buddies:). Or maybe from Mike. Can't recall. But do regret missing that tasting, would have been nice to get a better sized sample. I think I still have a couple Soos Creek in the cellar - I'll open another with the hopes of not further raining on poor Brandon's parade. Sorry Brandon!

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Did anyone else buy 2018 Soos Creek "Reserve" futures last year? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI