CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Is there a way to flag bottles?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> Is there a way to flag bottles? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there a way to flag bottles? - 12/6/2019 1:49:28 PM   
davetroup

Several times each year, I wish for a feature that I don’t think exists in CT. So I’m going to suggest it, and perhaps there's already a way to do this of which I’m unaware.

I’d like a way to easily flag or mark specific bottles or wines, and just as easily unflag or unmark them. And I’d then like the ability to print or display a list of the flagged/marked wines along with their locations.

Whenever I’m going to have a group of friends over for an occasion that includes wine, I go through the process of selecting which bottles I want to serve. This involves going through the “ready to drink” list and figuring out which bottles I want. Because there's no way to flag bottles I’m considering, I end up having to write down, manually, all the wines I am considering and their locations. It sure seems like there should be a better way.

It’d even be nice to be able to select the whole list or flagged bottles, and mark them all as consumed, rather than having to do so individually, though that’s not such a big deal to me.

Am I missing an existing way to do what I want? If not, this seems like a really useful feature that would benefit CT users.
Post #: 1
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 12/6/2019 9:27:16 PM   
dpolivy

You can tag wines to a wishlist, and then print the restaurant-style wine list based on the wish list and include the locations/bins of the bottles. I do this for the exact scenario you describe and it works well. The only "challenge" is that wish lists are based on wines, not specific bottles, so you can't tag just a specific bottle.

To tag specific bottles, you can relocate them to a temporary location, and then print the restaurant style wine list based on that location. You can then also perform bulk consumption on the bottles by filtering by location.

The last option is to use the My Selling List feature to tag bottles, however there's not an easy way to print that list in a friendly way. You can export to Excel, though.

Dan

(in reply to davetroup)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 12/6/2019 9:29:20 PM   
Eric

You can also bulk set and clear the per-bottle notes and easily filter on those, although it does not integrate with the restaurant style wine list.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to dpolivy)
Post #: 3
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 12/8/2019 4:27:24 AM   
racerchris

Here's an option - edit the bottles you want on your list by adding an entry to the Bottle Note window. Use the same word for all the bottles to be considered for the same get-together.
When you want to look at that list start from the In My Cellar list, switch to "Individual Bottles", and then sort for "Note".
You can also Narrow the list to see only the bottles with the specific note you entered. Bottle Note is the last option in the expanded search window.

Edit: that's what Eric said, but without the specific details.

< Message edited by racerchris -- 12/8/2019 4:28:18 AM >

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 4
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 12/8/2019 6:33:10 AM   
Eric

This gives an example of how to use the per-bottle note: https://support.cellartracker.com/article/27-coravin-bottle-tracking

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 5
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 12/9/2019 2:04:35 PM   
davetroup

Thanks for the suggestions. I used the Wishlist for this weekend's event, it pretty much worked though I couldn't figure out how to get it to print out with the bottle locations included, I had to manually search for the wines and jot down the locations on the printed list.

I will try the per-bottle note method next time and compare the two techniques to see which is easiest.

Thanks again for the good ideas.

David Troup

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 6
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 12/9/2019 2:22:02 PM   
dpolivy

Glad that (mostly) worked! To print the list with locations, go to Quick Links, select Print Lists and Labels. Select the Restaurant Style Wine List tab. Choose to show "My wines on my wish list...", and select the list(s). In the bottom right of the dialog, under Inventory and Location, check the boxes to include Location, Bin, and Quantity as desired. Then, print the wine list, and those details should be included.

Dan

(in reply to davetroup)
Post #: 7
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 12/9/2019 2:34:54 PM   
davetroup

Thanks, I think my mistake was trying to print just a "regular" list and not the "Restaurant Style Wine List." Will try that next time.
quote:

ORIGINAL: dpolivy

Glad that (mostly) worked! To print the list with locations, go to Quick Links, select Print Lists and Labels. Select the Restaurant Style Wine List tab. Choose to show "My wines on my wish list...", and select the list(s). In the bottom right of the dialog, under Inventory and Location, check the boxes to include Location, Bin, and Quantity as desired. Then, print the wine list, and those details should be included.

Dan

(in reply to dpolivy)
Post #: 8
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 1/27/2020 9:24:56 PM   
klezman

When I'm selecting a bunch of wines I just open each one up in its own tab. If/when I decide to pull it for consideration for that day's festivities, I click on the appropriate location button to open the "drink a bottle" page where it pre-selects the bottle I clicked. If we drink it, I write a note and mark it gone. If we don't drink it, the location is handy for me to return the bottle to it and I close the page. Easy peasy.

Not sure if that exactly addresses your use case, but any time we have a bunch of people over I do it that way.

It would be nice to have a list of wines I could "flag" as being in consideration for near-term drinking for those nights I don't want to peruse the larger list. On that topic, it would also be nice to have a way to quickly and easily see the last time I drank a particular wine - often that's how I choose.

(in reply to davetroup)
Post #: 9
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 1/27/2020 10:11:54 PM   
davetroup

Thanks, that's a good suggestion and would probably work for me most of the time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: klezman

When I'm selecting a bunch of wines I just open each one up in its own tab. If/when I decide to pull it for consideration for that day's festivities, I click on the appropriate location button to open the "drink a bottle" page where it pre-selects the bottle I clicked. If we drink it, I write a note and mark it gone. If we don't drink it, the location is handy for me to return the bottle to it and I close the page. Easy peasy.

Not sure if that exactly addresses your use case, but any time we have a bunch of people over I do it that way.

It would be nice to have a list of wines I could "flag" as being in consideration for near-term drinking for those nights I don't want to peruse the larger list. On that topic, it would also be nice to have a way to quickly and easily see the last time I drank a particular wine - often that's how I choose.

(in reply to klezman)
Post #: 10
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 3/1/2020 7:14:58 PM   
austinmdpedi

Hi. New forum member here.

I’m setting up my cellar and my plan is to do all the CellarTracker work on the mobile site with my iPhone.

I really like the ability to flag a bottle by adding a bottle note. This will let me do several things I want to do. The instructions in this thread are very helpful. I did a test run and entered multiple bottle notes.

I’m running into problems though when trying to search for my bottle note using the mobile site on my phone. There is no “bottle note” in the search pull down menu on the mobile site and when I search the bottle note terms I used when searching “My Cellar” it comes up with an empty search.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Mike

< Message edited by austinmdpedi -- 3/1/2020 7:15:16 PM >

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 11
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 3/1/2020 7:46:40 PM   
Eric

Sadly we don't have the full set of advanced search features on mobile right now, and that includes the per-bottle note filter.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to austinmdpedi)
Post #: 12
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 3/1/2020 7:57:44 PM   
austinmdpedi

Bummer.

But thank you for your prompt reply.

This would seem (???) to be an easy upgrade. Any idea if it is in the works?

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 13
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 3/1/2020 8:03:13 PM   
Eric

Right now we are the very, very end of a big project with a full cloud migration. After that we will likely have a couple of months of follow-on projects. Next after that, I am happy to say that advanced search in mobile really is our highest priority item.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to austinmdpedi)
Post #: 14
RE: Is there a way to flag bottles? - 3/1/2020 8:05:15 PM   
austinmdpedi

Great news.

I’ll keep adding bottle notes.

Thanks so much.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> Is there a way to flag bottles? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI