CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

new Indiana member, and an ask

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> new Indiana member, and an ask Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/12/2020 3:34:58 PM   
hat

First, I'm a new member here! I enjoy wines, and make my own when time and the spirit)moves me. Now, on to the ask! I have recently acquired nearly a case of wines, mostly French, and all from the 70's and 80's. Among them is a Chateau Lafite Rothschild, and a Lynch Bages, Chateau Cambon La Pelouse. Nearly all are full, and most exhibit seepage from the cork. Most labels are partially or in one case nearly all gone from deterioration. I recovered them from a basement of a house I recently bought. They were stored horizontally. Unfortunately they were also stored under a leaky window, hence the deteriorated labels. I need help in identifying what I have, and what value they may have. Also, perhaps good advice on how to best sell them if I decide to go that direction...Any and all advise appreciated.

Oh, by the way, I am located in South Central Indiana, so if there is anyone in the area that would like to take a look at them that would be great. I have pictures, but it's hard to capture a lot of the info with a camera.....
Post #: 1
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/12/2020 3:37:47 PM   
wadcorp

Welcome to the club, hat.

This sounds like it could be a great blind tasting.

In many instances, you'll have an idea of what you have once the cork is pulled. (winery logo on cork)

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to hat)
Post #: 2
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/12/2020 10:20:09 PM   
forceberry

I doubt you can sell them. Nobody is going to be paying any serious money for wines kept for 30-40 years in not-optimal temperatures, especially if most wines kept there exhibit signs of seepage.

Definitely a great lot for a (blind) tasting, though.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 3
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/13/2020 4:54:34 AM   
dontime

Welcome aboard! If you place your location is the area under your name, folks will have an idea of where you are. Its a friendly group here, and we're always looking to get together to drink some wine.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 4
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/13/2020 5:01:34 AM   
musedir

Welcome to the Forum.

In the days of commercials for suffering Jewish refugees in Siberia or forgotten pets in the winter outdoors in horrible conditions (you can save either or both for just $19.99/month each), now we have the case of the ignored and forgotten wines in the Hoosier State where abusive storage conditions have taken its toil. Good luck with your sleuthing and again, welcome to the place where dreams are made.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 5
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/13/2020 5:23:13 AM   
KPB

I once helped my wife’s uncle rescue a half dozen similar bottles from under the house he had just purchased in the Loire. We expected that every single bottle would be vinegar. The reality, as it turned out, was even worse (sadly, worse things can happen).

Those bottles won’t have value, and probably won’t be drinkable. They may not even be “safe” to try. To last a long time, wine simply has to be in a place that stays dark, humid, and very cool, every single minute of every day, year round.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 6
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/13/2020 6:45:25 AM   
lockestep

To determine what you have without opening the bottle, cut the foil to expose the name on the cork.
I would suggest purchasing a Coravin (about $150 on Amazon) and tasting the bottles before pulling corks. Accounts vary on how long the bottles will last after doing this, but I would plan on drinking very soon after -within a day or two given the age and condition of your bottles. You will learn if the bottle is still drinkable, and get some idea of how long before serving to open the live ones.
Plus the Coravin is great for weekdays when you don't want more than a single glass.

Welcome to the forums.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 7
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/13/2020 11:06:46 AM   
Franklin 10

Well I guess some Hoosier should chime in...

Hi, hat, and welcome to the forum!

I agree with the other responses. I don't think anyone wants to be a "wet blanket" and it was an exciting thing that happened, finding those wines unexpectedly.

My advice is that if you aren't really that in to wine and haven't already experienced older ones to see if you like them (or even learned how to uncork them, which will need to be done carefully), then you may want to find someone else who may be interested in them. If you know someone, that may be ideal as you can try them together. If not, try a wine store (NOT just a liquor store) and ask if there is a customer who may be interested (may have to go to Bloomington or Louisville if that is closer, try more than one if needed) but don't expect much on the sale due to the way they were stored and likelihood that they are not good.

- Franklin

< Message edited by Franklin 10 -- 2/13/2020 11:07:41 AM >

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 8
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/15/2020 5:59:28 AM   
hat

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Welcome to the Forum.

In the days of commercials for suffering Jewish refugees in Siberia or forgotten pets in the winter outdoors in horrible conditions (you can save either or both for just $19.99/month each), now we have the case of the ignored and forgotten wines in the Hoosier State where abusive storage conditions have taken its toil. Good luck with your sleuthing and again, welcome to the place where dreams are made.

LOL - I love it!
Ok, so I have some additional information, and maybe another Q or two. So far as I can tell, here is what I have:
1974 Chateau Pomerol Grand Vin ..no label, or at least not enough to read anything else. This came from the seal
Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Pauillic, of course, right where the date is, the label is torn. There is a 75 on the bottom of the bottle though. Does this indicate a 1975 vintage date?
two bottles of Chateau Lynch Bages Grand Cru, no date visible.
1983 Chateau Cambon La Pelouse Cru Bourgeouis, Haut Medoc , then the label also says Chateau Misen Bouteilles Au
1982 Chateau Fonplegade Saint Emilion Armand Movix . Red Bordeaux
1976 Chateau Latour Paullic, the importers label says Red still wine.
Chateau Suduiraut Sauternes. 1st Cru. Bordeau, most of the label gone. no date
a bottle with half gone (leaked?) with not a lot of info label name starts Leo.....err maybe - any ideas here?
a 1.6L bottle of Christian bros 1978 Zin. Labeled 1882-1982 Centennial - full. looks like fun!

Any help or advise on any of the above? BTW - I'm located in Columbus, In

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 9
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/15/2020 6:32:02 AM   
S1

Drink up!

No real value to serious collectors (who would insist on a record of sound provenance), unless your initials are P.T.B. and you can find a rube/victim

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to hat)
Post #: 10
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/15/2020 7:13:40 AM   
brettlaurvick

I had a customer sell a bunch of old Bordeaux from the early 1900's up to the 1950's and the wine was not stored properly. He did quite well on the sale.
HOWEVER, like S1 suggests, he had all the paperwork from the 1950's from when his father acquired the collection. Provenance was impeccable and it made all the difference in the world.

Ironically, he was in yesterday and he kept one bottle for himself...not a bad keeper

< Message edited by brettlaurvick -- 2/15/2020 7:17:56 AM >

Brett
Owner - Cellar Fifty-Five Wine Storage, Sarasota

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 11
RE: new Indiana member, and an ask - 2/15/2020 8:09:51 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: hat

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Welcome to the Forum.

LOL - I love it!
Ok, so I have some additional information, and maybe another Q or two. So far as I can tell, here is what I have:
1974 Chateau Pomerol Grand Vin ..no label, or at least not enough to read anything else. This came from the seal
Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Pauillic, of course, right where the date is, the label is torn. There is a 75 on the bottom of the bottle though. Does this indicate a 1975 vintage date?
two bottles of Chateau Lynch Bages Grand Cru, no date visible.
1983 Chateau Cambon La Pelouse Cru Bourgeouis, Haut Medoc , then the label also says Chateau Misen Bouteilles Au
1982 Chateau Fonplegade Saint Emilion Armand Movix . Red Bordeaux
1976 Chateau Latour Paullic, the importers label says Red still wine.
Chateau Suduiraut Sauternes. 1st Cru. Bordeau, most of the label gone. no date
a bottle with half gone (leaked?) with not a lot of info label name starts Leo.....err maybe - any ideas here?
a 1.6L bottle of Christian bros 1978 Zin. Labeled 1882-1982 Centennial - full. looks like fun!

Any help or advise on any of the above? BTW - I'm located in Columbus, In

The 75 on the Lafite bottle probably refers to its (standard) 75 Cl size
Cambon la Pelouse. The rest means "chateau bottled". A middle of the road vintage, probably 20 years past its best even with the best of storage conditions
Latour is probably the most likely to be drinkable, if it is the 1er cru, it was made tough for long keeping back then, but ....
You should get the Suduiraut vintage on the cork
The half empty bottle is probably Leoville Poyferre. Apart from being killed by air, this chateau was under performing in the 70's

Good luck

(in reply to hat)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> new Indiana member, and an ask Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI