CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

TN: 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Sangiovese Estate Vineyard

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> TN: 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Sangiovese Estate Vineyard Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TN: 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Sangiovese Estate Vineyard - 3/17/2020 8:28:03 AM   
BRR

Generously given to me by ChrisInCowiche, I was excited to open and try my first Goat Rocks wine. We were having pizza, so we figured a Sangio was needed. This fit the bill very nicely. I don't know how to post a TN directly to these forums, so here it is:

Very light, bright ruby color. Not decanted. Very shy nose with hints of wet hay (nice though) and red fruit. Bright and lively on the palate with juicy pie cherry and strawberry notes. Mouthwatering acidity provides good balance. This was great with Pagliacci pizza! Nicely done, Chris. Those juvenile vines are showing some promise!

Very fun to drink this, Chris, and thank you again!

Cheers!
Post #: 1
RE: TN: 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Sangiovese Estate Vineyard - 3/17/2020 12:04:46 PM   
dsGris

WA Sangio is one of my favs from the region, that's not saying much as I enjoy a lot of that reserved pinot from guys and gals on this side of the mtns. That said, I just finished a bottle of '14 Balboa Syrah from Last Bottle that was fresh and fruity, quite enjoyable to drink.

< Message edited by dsGris -- 3/17/2020 12:06:13 PM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 2
RE: TN: 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Sangiovese Estate Vineyard - 3/17/2020 12:52:22 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Very glad you enjoyed it Brandon. Even if this was supposed to be Riesling when we planted, we are happy it is Sangio.

While I'm here I'll give an overall update... We are bottling '17 and '18 wines as we speak, more or less. We have Sangio, Gewurz, Syrah, Pinot Noir. Small lot of Viognier/Roussane but that is long gone. Also some experiments in 2018 with a Sangio Rose and a Syrah Port.
This photo is Gewurz, Sangio Rose, Syrah Port, Pinot, Sangio, Syrah, various vintages. ...

Overall 2017 and 2018 are reflecting slightly lighter palate than 2016, meaning even more acidity, but our vines are showing a bit more complexity too. We didn't harvest in 2019, but expect to in 2020. The 3 year vertical of 16, 17, 18 I expect to sample for all our wines in a few months.

The most consistent so far seems to be Syrah which I have always co-fermented with Viognier (5-7% I think) and Roussanne (less than 1%) . If I were asked today I prefer 2017, Barrel 1. We've drank about 3 case of it this year to date since bottling over the holidays. 2017 Barrel 2 was enough different than Barrel 1 that I am bottling it separately but its ready when I can get to it. 2018 is coming along also ready, but in a logjam for bottling time.

The Sangio has had some reduction (skunkiness) and cork issues on 2016 some bottles so I am glad your bottle was good. I think Sangio was overcropped by 2018 and a bit green on the palate, so will attempt to correct that in 2020. The Sangio Rose was good, bright, dry, acidic. Will likely split the crop with an early pick and a late pick depending on mood of the winemaker. We have some 2017 Sangio bottled and a blend of 2017/2018 that I made to fill a barrel in carboys waiting on time.

Gewurz has been my hardest variety to figure out. 2016 was so flat I turned it all into Brandy (later used to make Syrah Port in 2018). 2017 was a bit better/cleaner but had cork issues which meant half went down the drain. Remaining bottles are only so so. 2018 I finally picked early enough, and let it ferment on the skins. Half of my carboys froze that year so small batch survived. Gorgeous color and when I tasted recently I was pleased. It tastes like Gewurz and is right dryness for my palate.

Pinot Noir has grown bigger crop each year. 2016 was only maybe 7 cases, about 12 in 2017, a full barrel, 24 cases or so for 2018. 2016 was too ripe. 2017 was plummy, 2018 again picked at a good time (finally) and I am happy with it. Lighter and more earthy with some bright bing cherry. The Pinot Noir vines are my easiest to manage, easiest cordons to train, and easiest to prune. and have had least frost hits. That last part is likely due to their location at top of my block.

This photo shows the log jam that used to be Barbilocks family room.

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 3/17/2020 12:54:28 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 3
RE: TN: 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Sangiovese Estate Vineyard - 3/17/2020 12:55:15 PM   
CranBurgundy

How great would it be to replace the plastic jug on the office water cooler with one of those bad boys?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 4
RE: TN: 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Sangiovese Estate Vineyard - 3/18/2020 8:54:50 AM   
BRR

I know she loves wine too, but that Barb is one special person to let you run your crazy wine adventure roughshod through the house!

I'm not very sensitive to cork taint, so there may have been some low-level in the Sangio because it really had no nose to speak of. I sure liked it nonetheless!

Cheers!

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 5
RE: TN: 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Sangiovese Estate Vineyard - 3/18/2020 10:14:52 AM   
recotte

I’ve been fortunate enough to taste through a number of Chris’ wines, and I’ve enjoyed them all.

Chris, any plans to plant some Cab Franc? I think that and your Syrah have been my faves, although your Sangio is a great weeknight pizza/pasta wine.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 6
RE: TN: 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Sangiovese Estate Vineyard - 3/18/2020 11:22:19 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Chris, any plans to plant some Cab Franc? I think that and your Syrah have been my faves, although your Sangio is a great weeknight pizza/pasta wine.

Not sure. Bordeaux varieties have a hard time getting ripe on Naches Heights and Cab Franc is latest of those to be picked most places in Yakima. That said, there is some here, and I need to talk with Phil Cline about it, and maybe even buy or barter for a half ton of local CF. I can always buy other stuff but I am liking the cost model of growing all our own fruit.

My vineyard expansion (2+ more acres, don't tell Barb) will include more Viognier for sure, also Pinot Noir, and I have always wanted Mourvedre, but those vines are scarce the couple of times I've asked/looked. My original order in 2015 had 100 Mourvedre vines that got swapped last minute to more Syrah.

The Treveri guys are planting 20+ acres of sparkling varieties on NH, Pinot Noir/Chard, and the other Pinots mostly, and they have had trouble getting vines on those. Not sure what all has happened with Inland Desert over the past couple of years, but my guess is they are a boom or bust business, and have had year of bust after some tremendous booms in early 2010's that may have hurt, but it does seems somethjing shifted.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> TN: 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Sangiovese Estate Vineyard Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI