CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

The exceptional 2018 Misc Napa cabs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> The exceptional 2018 Misc Napa cabs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The exceptional 2018 Misc Napa cabs - 11/15/2020 4:51:31 PM   
KPB

If you know me, you know that I think Grant Long's Misc wines are one of those unknown treasures from Napa valley. Grant runs Aonaire and Blue Oak, but has various roles in a number of other wineries and is in a position to source some remarkable material in small quantities (he told me that he actually manages all aspects from vineyard management to blending for the wines he sells under the Misc label). Each Misc vintage is extremely limited: one or two barrels per wine, and that's it. To me the attraction is dual. First, Grant's style is very much to my taste: he eschews that heavy, overextracted, hot style and aims for wines that are midweight without ever overdoing anything. And second, his pricing is remarkable: at $95, you end up with bottles you could confidently put side by side with Napa's $300+ bottles (honestly, Napa's $500+ bottles -- and I say this because I've tasted many of those wines and it objectively is true: these are just as good!) So if you can find them, I highly recommend trying them. I buy directly from the winery (via a mailing list Aonaire manages).

My friend Natasha convinced me that I absolutely needed a Coravin, so I decided to try these on arrival. It was a fun tasting:

2018 Misc. Wines Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville (94 Points)

USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville

Deeply colored. The nose on the Oakville Cabernet is floral and high-pitched, with sweet aromas of creme de cassis, acacia flowers, cherry pastilles. A midweight but richly-structured wine, the palate reveals a nice balance of soft tannins, a racy and rather lifted fruit structure, and a long mineral-inflected finish. Very impressive! 94-96pts, but for now I'll go with 94. I would drink this in the 2023-2038 period.

2018 Misc. Wines Cabernet Sauvignon (92 Points)

USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford

Deeply colored, the 2018 Rutherford Cabernet has an alluring, complex nose showing pomegranate fruit, rhubarb/strawberry tart, mint, floral notes. The fruit here has a lovely sweetness, and the palate brings a very soft, gentle tannic structure, with a bit less acidity at present than the other 2018 wines. Approachable soon. I would give this 92-95pts, but right now I'll go with 92; if you want more points, be patient! This will mature fairly early -- drink in the 2021-2028 timeframe.

2018 Misc. Wines Howell Mountain (93 Points)

USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain

Deeply colored, the 2018 Howell is the most backwards of the new releases. The nose here runs to red plums, but I also find a forest loam aroma, menthol, walnuts, and a hint of beeswax. Richly flavored and mouthfilling, long, medium acidity and velvety but pronounced tannins. 93-94 but I'll go with 93 right this second. Will reward aging. I wouldn't open a bottle before 2023.

2018 Misc. Wines Cabernet Sauvignon (94 Points)

USA, California, Napa Valley, Diamond Mountain

Deeply colored and very reticent, one has to work to coax the nose from the 2018 Diamond Mountain. With extended time to breath I find cassis and roast chestnuts, rosewater and beeswax on the elegant, long nose. A wine that manages to be powerful without being at all heavy, the Diamond Mountain shows just ripe fruit held in an iron fist of tannins that will need some time to relax. Perhaps the best of the 2018 Misc offerings, the Diamond Mountain really needs a few years to unwind. 94-96, but I'll go with 96 right now. Drink no sooner than 2026, but could age until 2040!

< Message edited by KPB -- 11/15/2020 6:02:17 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology
Post #: 1
RE: The exceptional 2018 Misc Napa cabs - 11/15/2020 6:33:09 PM   
CranBurgundy

I be this brand is a nightmare for those who keep track on a spreadsheet. "Damn auto-file keeps changing the category from Cabernet Sauvignon to miscellaneous!"

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 2
RE: The exceptional 2018 Misc Napa cabs - 11/15/2020 9:54:18 PM   
Eduardo787

I bought a case of this wine and I am sure it is going to be up my alley. I recommended the wine to a friend that was going to order some Caymus SS and Buchella and he placed an order for a case as well. The winemaker is such a nice guy ! Very accesible and gave more than a few minutes to explain his wines to me. I went with 6 Oakville, 3 Rutherford, and 3 Diamond

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 3
RE: The exceptional 2018 Misc Napa cabs - 11/16/2020 7:34:04 AM   
KPB

Cran is right about the CT entries. Very erratic!

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 4
RE: The exceptional 2018 Misc Napa cabs - 11/17/2020 10:47:37 AM   
Roy Piper

Wow, thought I knew of almost all Napa brands, but this one I have not. Will be checking into it! Have had Blue Oak, since the vineyard adjoins Meteor Vineyard and I was looking into it. Curious which vineyards he is using for each AVA.

Edit... wow, 2 barrels each.. .. he must be making these in T-bins.

< Message edited by Roy Piper -- 11/17/2020 10:49:43 AM >

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 5
RE: The exceptional 2018 Misc Napa cabs - 11/17/2020 12:21:49 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

I be this brand is a nightmare for those who keep track on a spreadsheet. "Damn auto-file keeps changing the category from Cabernet Sauvignon to miscellaneous!"

The internet password in my house is " I don´t remember ". Imagine what happens when people ask me about it

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> The exceptional 2018 Misc Napa cabs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI