CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Paul Jaboulet Aine Crozes-Hermitage Domaine Raymond Roure vs Domaine de Roure

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Paul Jaboulet Aine Crozes-Hermitage Domaine Raymond Roure vs Domaine de Roure Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Paul Jaboulet Aine Crozes-Hermitage Domaine Raymond Rou... - 2/12/2021 9:18:19 AM   
Echinosum

My suspicion - hope - is that these are not two different wines, just different or inconsistent labelling practices from one year to another. If they are two different wines, then I'd like to know what the difference is. I own some labelled Domaine de Roure 2016, and would like to understand more clearly what I own. I have been unable to find out definitively. When you look at the history of the Jaboulets, then for a large producer/negociant selling maybe 50-odd wines, including world-famous wines, they don't seem to have the organisation and polish you would expect.

It is clear that we do see - at least over the years - labels both with the wording Domaine de Roure and also Domaine Raymond Roure. We also see labels further annotated Vielles Vignes, and in this case the script is in blue rather than the usual red. It turns up in a couple of vintages, most recently 2014. Looking through the labels in the slide show, and their attributions to specific vintages, I don't think I have found a case where the same year has more than one labels. As well as flipping back and forth between the different names, they also flip back and forth between a more simple modern label blank and the traditional label blank with cursive script in a curve. It's like someone's got a batch to label up, they have more than one label design blank set lying around, and what it actually gets labelled as depends on which blanks someone picked up and what they thought to put in the free space at the moment they printed it off. Or maybe the variation in year-to-year names does actually signify something to someone, but apparently not to the customer.

It's quite difficult trying to find prove a negative. Jonathan Livingstone-Learmonth http://www.drinkrhone.com/wines/Hermitage/PAUL%20JABOULET%20A%C3%8EN%C3%89/ makes no distinction between two Roure wines. He ought to know. The jaboulet.com website is now defunct, not that it said anything very much about anything when it did exist. The Caroline Frey group of properties has a shop website, from which we learn nothing much, but not a business website. If you go to the Chateau La Lagune website, it is just a one-pager which links you to Caroline Frey's facebook page. I've tried some importer websites, but they don't help either.

My understanding is that the Roure wine is supposedly from a small specific vineyard - the part of Les Picaudieres they picked up when the Roure estate was sold off on his death. It is only available in much smaller quantities than Thalabert. (Rousset has the other part of Picaudieres.) If that is correct, it would seem rather fussy to have more than one wine. But then when you label it with a brand name rather than a specific lieu-dit (as is also the case with Thalabert), then it gives you greater flexibility to put what you choose into the bottle.
Post #: 1
RE: Paul Jaboulet Aine Crozes-Hermitage Domaine Raymond... - 2/12/2021 10:35:42 AM   
Tricky99

Think you’ve almost answered your own suspicions there - this is the French and I mean that in the kindest possible sense!

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 2
RE: Paul Jaboulet Aine Crozes-Hermitage Domaine Raymond... - 2/12/2021 4:49:30 PM   
andrew

It looks like they re-named it to Domaine de Roure at the same time as Caroline Frey took over. I have updated the wines to the correct form and linked across the change.

There is one side issue. It looks like 2000 was labelled different as VV or maybe there was a different edition as well. I can't find any specific and will leave this as is for now.

The really interesting issue? There is a 2014 label with VV that is simply impossible. The label still refers to Jaboulet as the bottler which is just wrong. I am going to reach out to the user who posted this to see if we can find out more. This one is pretty sketch.

Andrew Hall

CellarTracker Editorial & Support Services

(in reply to Tricky99)
Post #: 3
RE: Paul Jaboulet Aine Crozes-Hermitage Domaine Raymond... - 2/13/2021 2:12:49 AM   
Echinosum

Many thanks for clearing that up, it's been bugging me for some time. There's a lot of confusions over Jaboulet, not helped by the misunderstandings Robert Parker, doubtless unintentionally, propagated in his book.

(in reply to andrew)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Paul Jaboulet Aine Crozes-Hermitage Domaine Raymond Roure vs Domaine de Roure Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI