CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Looking for ideas on notes management in custom reports

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Looking for ideas on notes management in custom reports Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for ideas on notes management in custom reports - 6/6/2021 5:26:26 AM   
Sean McGrath

Ok, this is a bit of a niche topic.

I use the CT webquery to link to my Access database for custom reporting. I am debating changing my system of notes entry, and am looking for thoughts on Note entry from others who use reporting in Excel or Access for their CT wines.

Currently I use Tasting Notes, Wishlist Wines Notes, Consumed Notes and Private Notes. I concatenate them all in various reports, getting around one-to-many relationship issues by using Last or Max or something to just take one note. Not ideal, of course, as I'd like all of my TNs on the report. However, concatenating multiple TNs in a report that lists wines by Bin is, I think, beyond my SQL skills.

I am thinking of simplifying by copying all notes into the Private Note, a giant field that would mean double entry but eliminate all of my programming and concatenation issues. Before I do so, I am interested whether others have alternative suggestions.

Cheers,
Sean

p.s. and before you tell me that I am overthinking this, you should see my reports. My "Inventory quantity x kind x vintage," "Inventory x kind vs. Target and vs. Order trigger," and "Availability with NVs and Blanks fixed" would have you green with envy.

< Message edited by Sean McGrath -- 6/6/2021 5:27:38 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/6/2021 12:58:17 PM   
Blue Shorts

I used to over-think, over- analyze my wine purchases and drinking. I'm not "green with envy", but I am amused seeing that others are going through similar paths to get to a great place with wine. Good luck with your quest.

In the end, it didn't add anything to my enjoyment of the wine.

Now, I spend less time over-analyzing and more time enjoying great wine.

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 6/6/2021 1:01:11 PM >

(in reply to Sean McGrath)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/7/2021 1:25:39 AM   
Sean McGrath

Thanks, Blue. I've had my wine in an Access database for over twenty years now, so it's pretty much "no maintenance." I find it very useful for ordering -- it gives me an instant view of the age distribution of various sorts of wine, and is a bit of a corrective to overbuying one sort.

To each their own, of course.

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/7/2021 3:39:30 AM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sean McGrath

Ok, this is a bit of a niche topic.

I use the CT webquery to link to my Access database for custom reporting. I am debating changing my system of notes entry, and am looking for thoughts on Note entry from others who use reporting in Excel or Access for their CT wines.

Currently I use Tasting Notes, Wishlist Wines Notes, Consumed Notes and Private Notes. I concatenate them all in various reports, getting around one-to-many relationship issues by using Last or Max or something to just take one note. Not ideal, of course, as I'd like all of my TNs on the report. However, concatenating multiple TNs in a report that lists wines by Bin is, I think, beyond my SQL skills.

I am thinking of simplifying by copying all notes into the Private Note, a giant field that would mean double entry but eliminate all of my programming and concatenation issues. Before I do so, I am interested whether others have alternative suggestions.

Cheers,
Sean

p.s. and before you tell me that I am overthinking this, you should see my reports. My "Inventory quantity x kind x vintage," "Inventory x kind vs. Target and vs. Order trigger," and "Availability with NVs and Blanks fixed" would have you green with envy.

Are you concatenating the four columns or all of the rows for a wine? If by column you could create a new column (perhaps "Master Note") and populate it with the concatenation.

If by rows, depending on what the maximum number of rows for a single wine is, you could partition by the wine, assign row numbers to each row for that wine (ordering by date), then explicitly concatenate the rows - "case when RowNumber = 1 then MasterNote else "" end & case when RowNumber = 2 then MasterNote else "" end ..." etc. You might be able to create a stored procedure to loop through the rows, but I wouldn't know how to do that in Access (haven't used it for a few years).

Post #: 4
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/7/2021 12:30:08 PM   
Sean McGrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG

Are you concatenating the four columns or all of the rows for a wine? If by column you could create a new column (perhaps "Master Note") and populate it with the concatenation.

If by rows, depending on what the maximum number of rows for a single wine is, you could partition by the wine, assign row numbers to each row for that wine (ordering by date), then explicitly concatenate the rows - "case when RowNumber = 1 then MasterNote else "" end & case when RowNumber = 2 then MasterNote else "" end ..." etc. You might be able to create a stored procedure to loop through the rows, but I wouldn't know how to do that in Access (haven't used it for a few years).

Thanks, Ben. I might have to think that one through.

My specific issue is Tasting Notes, which can be infinite I suppose. The other fields, being one-to-one, are easy to concatenate. [30 seconds later] The more I think about it, that might be doable.

< Message edited by Sean McGrath -- 6/8/2021 2:04:54 AM >

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/7/2021 3:28:24 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

To each their own, of course.

I'd be interested to see some of the Access queries that you use. While the geeky side of things didn't increase my enjoyment of wine, I still enjoyed slicing and dicing the data 12 ways from Sunday.

Post #: 6
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/8/2021 2:03:50 AM   
Sean McGrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

I'd be interested to see some of the Access queries that you use.

Sure, I don't get many chances to share them. My wife is polite, but more engaged with the tasting than the reporting. Feedback on improvements is welcome.

I have a limitation of storage capacity for 500 bottles, and my system is designed to manage that. My goal is to have a nice bottle with Sunday dinner, and one more nice bottle during the week. Traditionally I have bought wines on release and managed the aging myself.

Cellar by Kind
I use a wishlist to categorize my wines. This report shows the number of wines in my cellar, the target amount, the trigger to order, and the amount I can drink this year (Eric's formula). All by each category of wine.

Cellar by Vintage
This is probably my favorite report. I tend to buy wines to cellar opportunistically, when there is a very good vintage. The danger is always that I overbuy the ones I like. This report gives me a quick sense of how smooth my age distribution is by kind of wine. I really want to buy more 2015/2016 Barolo and Brunello, but this report keeps me from letting things get out of hand.

Rack by Kind
Rack (and fridge) is where I keep my daily drinking wines. This report tells me when I need to order (target varies depending on summer and winter). I like to keep one nicer bottle of different kinds of whites in the fridge: "Over 20" lets me know that there is a bottle upstairs that cost more than €20.

Available by Kind
I really like Eric's availability approach -- I'd been struggling with that. I've cleaned it up, as it only covered half of my wines: fixed N.V., and put in rough rules for blanks. "Drink" is the availability number. The report includes drinking windows, Wine Spectator notes, my notes and location.

Order by Store
I use a wishlist to track which daily drinker wines we thought were worth re-ordering. When I order from a store, I check this out as a trigger for wines I might want to buy again. For daily drinkers I am probably something like 2/3 old favorites, 1/3 something new.

Capacity by Location
How to shove in more bottles -- much better than opening each case for inspection.

< Message edited by Sean McGrath -- 6/8/2021 2:09:22 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/8/2021 4:18:41 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

So comforting to know that I'm not the only spreadsheet geek on here.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

Post #: 8
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/8/2021 6:30:47 AM   
Sean McGrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedRedMoreRed

So comforting to know that I'm not the only spreadsheet geek on here.

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 9
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/8/2021 8:31:18 AM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

Sure, I don't get many chances to share them.

Nice. Where are you pulling the "kind" category from?

Post #: 10
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/8/2021 9:05:12 AM   
Sean McGrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

quote:

Sure, I don't get many chances to share them.

Nice. Where are you pulling the "kind" category from?

I have a wishlist item for each "Kind," and assign one to each wine that I purchase. I then make a table in Access of Kind x Wine ID. I also have an error report that lets me know when I've forgotten to add one.

Eric's categories are actually pretty good, but I have been using these categories for thirty years. I.e., inflexible and resistant to change.

< Message edited by Sean McGrath -- 6/8/2021 10:14:42 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/8/2021 10:37:53 AM   
mclancy10006

I find this fascinating, obsessive, cool, and way beyond my level of insanity. I wish you all luck with this level of planning and note keeping. I'll stick to my more chaos engineering approach to acquisition. :)

-Mark

Post #: 12
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/8/2021 1:57:52 PM   
Ibetian

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

I find this fascinating, obsessive, cool, and way beyond my level of insanity. I wish you all luck with this level of planning and note keeping. I'll stick to my more chaos engineering approach to acquisition. :)

-Mark

+1

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 13
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/8/2021 9:44:48 PM   
Sean McGrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

-Mark

Lol, thanks!

Certainly my wife and colleagues would say that I am extremely chaotic, but I do like solving problems. It all comes down to what you are used to -- I doubt that I've spent an hour per year on average building and maintaining my system.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 14
RE: Looking for ideas on notes management in custom rep... - 6/9/2021 5:49:11 AM   
Sean McGrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG

Hi Ben,
Believe it or not, I went with a variant of your suggestion. A bit more clunky, as I predetermine the maximum number of notes, but it works very well. Thanks for the idea.

I'm sure everyone is desperate to implement this immediately, so I have included the code below.

SELECT [Tasting Notes].TastingNotes, [Tasting Notes].TastingDate, [Tasting Notes].iWine, DCount("*","Tasting Notes","iWine = " & [iWine] & " And Int(Date()-[TastingDate]) > " & Int(Date()-[TastingDate]))+1 AS NumNotes, [Tasting Notes].Rating, IIf([NumNotes]=1,[TastingNotes],"") AS Note1, IIf([NumNotes]=2,[TastingNotes],"") AS Note2, IIf([NumNotes]=3,[TastingNotes],"") AS Note3, IIf([NumNotes]=4,[TastingNotes],"") AS Note4, IIf([NumNotes]=5,[TastingNotes],"") AS Note5, IIf([NumNotes]=6,[TastingNotes],"") AS Note6, IIf([NumNotes]=1,[Rating],"") AS Rating1, IIf([NumNotes]=2,[Rating],"") AS Rating2, IIf([NumNotes]=3,[Rating],"") AS Rating3, IIf([NumNotes]=4,[Rating],"") AS Rating4, IIf([NumNotes]=5,[Rating],"") AS Rating5, IIf([NumNotes]=6,[Rating],"") AS Rating6, IIf([NumNotes]=1,[TastingDate],"") AS TasteDate1, IIf([NumNotes]=2,[TastingDate],"") AS TasteDate2, IIf([NumNotes]=3,[TastingDate],"") AS TasteDate3, IIf([NumNotes]=4,[TastingDate],"") AS TasteDate4, IIf([NumNotes]=5,[TastingDate],"") AS TasteDate5, IIf([NumNotes]=6,[TastingDate],"") AS TasteDate6
FROM [Tasting Notes]
WHERE ((([Tasting Notes].iWine)>0))
ORDER BY [Tasting Notes].TastingNotes DESC , [Tasting Notes].TastingDate, [Tasting Notes].iWine;

and of course

SELECT [My Notes].iWine, Max([My Notes].NumNotes) AS NumNotes, Max([My Notes].Note1) AS Note1, Max([My Notes].Note2) AS Note2, Max([My Notes].Note3) AS Note3, Max([My Notes].Note4) AS Note4, Max([My Notes].Note5) AS Note5, Max([My Notes].Note6) AS Note6, Max([My Notes].Rating1) AS Rating1, Max([My Notes].Rating2) AS Rating2, Max([My Notes].Rating3) AS Rating3, Max([My Notes].Rating4) AS Rating4, Max([My Notes].Rating5) AS Rating5, Max([My Notes].Rating6) AS Rating6, Max([My Notes].TasteDate1) AS TasteDate1, Max([My Notes].TasteDate2) AS TasteDate2, Max([My Notes].TasteDate3) AS TasteDate3, Max([My Notes].TasteDate4) AS TasteDate4, Max([My Notes].TasteDate5) AS TasteDate5, Max([My Notes].TasteDate6) AS TasteDate6, "[" & [TasteDate1] & " " & [Rating1] & " " & [Note1] & "]" & IIf([NumNotes]>=2,"[" & [TasteDate2] & " " & [Rating2] & " " & [Note2] & "]","") & IIf([NumNotes]>=3,"[" & [TasteDate3] & " " & [Rating3] & " " & [Note3] & "]","") & IIf([NumNotes]>=4,"[" & [TasteDate4] & " " & [Rating4] & " " & [Note4] & "]","") & IIf([NumNotes]>=5,"[" & [TasteDate5] & " " & [Rating5] & " " & [Note5] & "]","") & IIf([NumNotes]>=6,"[" & [TasteDate6] & " " & [Rating6] & " " & [Note6] & "]","") AS MyNote
FROM [My Notes]
GROUP BY [My Notes].iWine;

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Looking for ideas on notes management in custom reports Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI