CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

What about that very special bottle you have ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> What about that very special bottle you have ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/11/2021 2:33:23 PM   
Eduardo787

Regardless of price, many of us have a very special bottle of wine in our cellar ( not a case, but a single bottle or maybe 2 or 3 ). Maybe you bought it on sale, on a trip, maybe it was a very valuable gift ( price or sentimental ) and since you got it you put a name or an ocassion to drink that special bottle. Heck, we can write many stories about special bottles that make us remember a loved one or a special moment etc. So, how and when do you decide to drink it ? We always want to age bottles forever and it seems that at least on the expensive wines when it hits 20 you want 30, and when its 30 years old you want 40, etc etc etc. And then, there you are on your 70th bday after 30 years saving that bottle and it happens you are actually on a cruise ship and you didnt opened the bottle ! Or you happen to be with a stomach issue on THAT very special date you dream for many many years. I still have a bottle of wine Phillipe Melka signed for my son and reads " Happy 18th birthday Patricio ! " and heck, my son is turning 24 and the wine is still there . How many of you actually respected that very special wine for that moment ? My question remembers me of the movie Sideways and that Cheval Blanc 61 that is opened in a burger joint and drank in a styrofoam cup PRICELESS !!!!

It seems that at least for me I am very bad at keeping or drinking that very special wine the moment I said I was going to drink it. I was wondering if I am alone here

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/11/2021 3:31:30 PM   
DoubleD1969

Good question Eduardo! I don’t have a sentimental bottle like yours, but some of my bottles have appreciated in value by quite a bit. I vowed to never sell it. But I hope it doesn’t come to drinking it alone in a red Solo cup!

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/11/2021 3:56:07 PM   
oskiwawa

Easy one for me. !982 Gruaud Larose. Wedding year wine I purchased it 20+ years ago and have always planned on having it on our 50th anniversary. Quite a few wines in the cellar worth more $s but this one is special.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/11/2021 4:16:33 PM   
skifree

Mine is my birth wine - a 1954 Haut Brion. I bought it in 2018, paid WAY too much but I knew it would be a "one and only". No regrets - '54 was such a terrible vintage for wine so am happy to have found one.

I joked with the salesman at Grand Vin that it was probably something Rudy concocted in his kitchen - so I just bought the label.

Opening it to honor my 70th birthday makes the most sense - hopefully with my fellow wine lovers, as I am sure it will not last long once opened if it is real!

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 4
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/11/2021 4:28:43 PM   
DoubleD1969

Good luck with your bottle ski free!

Your story reminded me of a ‘69 DRC Echezeaux I purchased a few years before my 50th. It was the second highest amount I paid for a bottle. I ended opening it on my 51st with a couple of friends. It was a memorable wine in the sense that it was spent with friends and that the wine tasted and smelled like flat cola.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 5
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/11/2021 8:44:50 PM   
Scott W

Since covid broke out I decided that it's time to drink special bottles (life is too short) Last two a 2001 Chave Hermitage and a 1980 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Único just because i'm still alive

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 6
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/11/2021 9:37:34 PM   
daviladc

I bought a case of 2000 Dow for my kids. My daughter was born in 1999 and my son 2001. So I split the difference. I also bought a box of cigars for each of them that I've kept good care of in my humidor. The cigars and a 6 pack of Dow is waiting for when each of them get married.

Oh, and I'm not giving them the wine and cigars as gifts They're for me to enjoy at the reception.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 7
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/12/2021 4:00:00 AM   
rthpal

The longest my wife and I kept a wine was a bit over 13 years. It was a bottle of 1982 Leoville-Las-Cases bought in 1986 and greatly enjoyed with my wife, her sister and her husband on the last day of 1999.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 8
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/12/2021 1:12:16 PM   
Ximenez

My last and oldest bottle of a 1995 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 890 is what I will probably crack open and drink during the year's end holidays. I hope my passive basement stash kept it in good condition throughout the ten years it has been resting on its side.

No one knows what it's like, to be a red wine man...to be a white wine man, behind green eyes...

(in reply to rthpal)
Post #: 9
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/12/2021 5:50:08 PM   
CranBurgundy

Holding 2007 and 2012 Comte de Vogüé Musigny simply because they're far too young to drink at present.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 10
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/13/2021 4:36:44 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Mine is 2004 Moon Mountain Cabernet. ~$10 bottle that we served at our wedding in 2007. After becoming more selective and addicted, I stumbled upon Last Bottle sales of this very same wine in 2012 and bought all they had, which turned out to be 8 bottles that I got allocated. We have now drank 6 on or close to our anniversary, with 2 bottles remaining that will get drank on some other anniversary, and we may save one for a "big" anniversary, 50 or 75, when I will be 118 years old.

The wine itself had totally fallen apart by our wedding reception in April, 2007 and has gone downhill from there, but it tastes pretty nice when we share it.

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 12/13/2021 4:43:22 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 11
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/13/2021 4:57:51 PM   
Hollowine

Holding an 1875 Madeira with the thought of opening @ 150 years in 2025. If Covid keeps chipping away at the decade, may accelerate my plans and just find a reason to share with close friends.

Drank a few special bottles of sentimental value this past August for 30th Anniversary.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 12
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/13/2021 8:49:14 PM   
recotte

1917 Sandeman. Meant to open it in 2017 for its 100 year anniversary, but that came and went. Now I'm holding it until I can share it with a few folks who will appreciate it.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 13
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/13/2021 8:55:06 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

1917 Sandeman. Meant to open it in 2017 for its 100 year anniversary, but that came and went. Now I'm holding it until I can share it with a few folks who will appreciate it.

Hey...you got chocolate in my peanut butter!

You got peanut butter on my chocolate!

Wait a minute...

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 14
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/13/2021 9:02:09 PM   
Rossodio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Holding an 1875 Madeira with the thought of opening @ 150 years in 2025. If Covid keeps chipping away at the decade, may accelerate my plans and just find a reason to share with close friends.

Drank a few special bottles of sentimental value this past August for 30th Anniversary.

What exactly does it take to become a close friend of yours? I am willing to convert religions and learn some pretty solid party tricks if that would get me in on the list. The oldest wine I ever had the pleasure of tasting was actually an 1868 Berry Bros. & Rudd Madeira. No detailed notes but I remember the taste of that wine like it was yesterday when I had it... at 140 years old in 2008. Nothing like an old Madeira, and that one outdated the next oldest wine I have ever consumed by 96 years.

I actually got a special bottle of sorts... volunteered for a local wine auction when I was 26 years old and in my intern year after medical school and living off of caffeine and very little free cash. Along with 4 or 5 quite lovely women, I was the sole male in the rotation picking bottles up from backstage and putting them up on the pedestal and standing behind them as a wine model in my nicest suit while people bid on these incredible gems from the small auction catalog for a TV station in New Orleans. I didn't look the part, but I sure as hell played it hard and enjoyed getting to handle bottles that I will never be able to afford. Phone calls would come in for bids as I or one of the women stood behind them before moving the bottles off set after bidding was complete for each. I actually arrived 2 hours pre-auction and scouted the entirety of the auction catalog prior to it starting and with permission from the folks running the show I decided to sit back in a bidder seat as a particular lot approached. While perusing wines pre-auction I noted that the people running the auction had mislabeled a 1990 Dom Ruinart as a non-vintage Ruinart blanc de blancs. I did ask the auction managers about the mislabel and they said it was too late and they would just auction it off, having no idea what they were doing, I believe. It was a Katrina wine that had been underwater in a hotel restaurant's cellar during the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. The label was well worn and it was unclear how it would drink. But when it was presented late in the auction with a difficult to read label and bidders already buzzed from the free wine that was flowing into their glasses in the audience, I was hoping no one would notice what it actually was. I walked out of there at the end of the night with bottle in hand for $70,

Like many Katrina wines it drank perfectly well as if nothing had ever happened to it. My note follows... but the full story is not included:
"This bottle was flown to Connecticut for my brother's wedding. It was shared with the groom, the other groomsmen, our father, and the father of the bride, the night before the ceremony. There was some question of provenance with this particular bottle, as I purchased it at auction at home in New Orleans. The cellar which donated the bottle for auction was a local hotel, and it was likely that the bottle suffered through Hurricane Katrina; the label was scuffed badly and potentially water-damaged. Nonetheless, as it was mislabeled in the auction guide as a non-vintage Ruinart BdB, and was one of the last lots, many folks were uninterested, tipsy, empty-walleted, and not paying attention. I picked the bottle up at a ludicrously low price.

My fears about the storage conditions of the wine were allayed as I removed the firmly-planted cork. A strong hiss came forth as the cork was dislodged intact and with no signs of seepage. Immediately, medium-sized bubbles rose lazily to form a beautiful mousse, seemingly ignorant of their voyage through arguably the worst natural disaster in American history, with hundreds dying in inhumane conditions within less than 5 miles of the bottle's cellar. The bottle itself likely went through weeks without power in a flooded cellar during a scorching summer, but one would never know this as the bubbles ascended to the tops of the cups and glasses as I poured, bursting into beautiful aromatics delightfully. I reflected briefly on the voyage this wine has had as others in the room immediately commented on the beautiful aromas that permated the room. The nose carried with it honey, buttered toast, white flowers, and butterscotch atop a firm foundation of crisp chalkiness, rounded citrus acidity, and a bit of minerality. The palate presented this flavor profile methodically, stepwise, and smoothly, with the full range of the palate expressing itself over the course of many seconds in the mouth. The sweeter flavors were bracketed with well-balanced light chalkiness as the fizz presented beautiful miniature breaks from what the juice itself offered to the palate. The finish showed each of the flavors gracefully bowing out over 45, 60 seconds, or maybe more. All in all, the experience was enjoyed by everyone involved, and this wine certainly did its label justice.

I don't know that this wine will evolve much in the next few years, and the richer parts of the flavor profile struck me as possibly being at the tail end of their peak; I wouldn't keep this wine for 10 more years, but it certainly has a few more good years left if you have a few bottles. It is drinking very well at this moment, however, so if you have a bottle, by all means, pop the cork and enjoy it!

A great bottle enjoyed with great company."

The secret here is that the hotel that all of the wedding party were staying at refused to give us a bunch of wine glasses to take to a hotel room. We all were standing in my brother's (the groom's) hotel room with only my brother and the father of the bride having swiped glasses from the hotel bar for themselves to enjoy the wine out of. The rest of us did indeed drink this wine out of small styrofoam cups, myself included. I will say, however, without a doubt that this was the best champagne I may ever have had the pleasure of trying, despite the styrofoam cup part of the experience. An appropriately shared and enjoyed wine of its class and caliber, I don't think it would have tasted bad out of a 150 year old well bucket with pond scum lining its inside walls.

That is probably my most special bottle and I am glad I got to enjoy it in exactly the way that I did.

- Rossodio
USA

Click below to see my profile on CT:

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 15
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/13/2021 9:41:00 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rossodio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

What exactly does it take to become a close friend of yours? I am willing to convert religions and learn some pretty solid party tricks if that would get me in on the list.

A good start would have been taking credit as my Secret Santa

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 16
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/14/2021 5:06:04 AM   
slaughterer

Back to the original question, with a short answer. When it came time to open that special magnum of 1960 Bordeaux I had been saving for more than 20 years for my wife's 60th Birthday in 2020, we decided to not open it. Why? First, banal reason: 1. We had already worked through a lot of bottles and did not want to drink more. 2. Second reason is more revealing to a wine geek: we did not want to risk opening a disappointing bottle of BDX from an off-vintage after drinking through some very spectacular Burgundies. End result: We decided to save the 1960 BDX for her 65th birthday in 2025, when it will probably be even worse, he he. There is a strange illogic here at place for sure.

"... to make, of this scuttle and heartbeat, art." (J. Updike)

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 17
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/14/2021 5:51:27 AM   
Echinosum

My oldest bottle is a 1985 Moscato Passito di Strevi from Ivaldi. I bought it in the late 80s. The label fell off and I lost it quite a long time ago. A substantial fraction of the producers in Strevi are called Ivaldi, so saying it is by Ivaldi doesn't narrow it down much. Probably best known is an estate called Bagnario which is owned by some Ivaldis, who sell an aged passito called Eliodoro. But their label looks nothing like the rustic label my bottles had.

I had 4 bottles orginally. I think I opened the penultimate in 2015 when it was 30. So the last one is for when it is 40 or 50 or something. When I bought it, I was told it could last 50 years. The past bottles haven't been of the kind of rave quality that I can experience when opening an old bottle of Ch Climens. I still have quite a holding of Ch Climens 88/89/90, so they aren't so individually special.

My most valuable bottle is Barolo Vigna Cicala 1988 from Aldo Conterno, (since I finished my case of Hermitage La Chapelle 1990). It is the last bottle of a case I bought en primeur. I had the penultimate bottle earlier this year and it was good, though I think it was probably at its best about 5 years ago. Though it is hard to say given the bottle variation due mainly to cork quality. I shall keep this last one a while yet. Doubtless I could keep it a long time, though sufficiently many of the bottles have been in poor condition I worry about keeping it too long. It's a bit uncompromising for most people's taste, so I have to choose the right company. Wines like these have become much more expensive in recent times, so I no longer have many bottles of this level of fame.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 18
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/14/2021 10:04:27 AM   
ksmith

I'm still holding on to a couple of bottles of 1997 Salon blanc de blancs brut that I haven't decided what to do with yet. Looking for an 'occasion'!

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 19
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/14/2021 4:38:44 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ksmith

I'm still holding on to a couple of bottles of 1997 Salon blanc de blancs brut that I haven't decided what to do with yet. Looking for an 'occasion'!

https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=517962

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to ksmith)
Post #: 20
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/15/2021 5:34:43 PM   
DoubleD1969

There are special bottles, and there are CHAZ-worthy bottles! It's nice to be in both.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 21
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/23/2021 3:40:20 PM   
grafstrb

I have some special bottles that were gifted to me; for those bottles, my aim is to age them to a point where I believe them to be in their prime windows, and then my goal is to try to find a way to open them with the folks who gifted them to me.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 22
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/23/2021 4:07:24 PM   
mclancy10006

I have this 1952 Rioja I thought I would wait until it is 70....

https://www.cellartracker.com/w?1248446

Mark

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 23
RE: What about that very special bottle you have ? - 12/23/2021 6:03:51 PM   
grafstrb

There's some pretty positive-sounding notes on that Rioja, Mark! 2022 will be the year! How is the condition of your bottle?

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> What about that very special bottle you have ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI