CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: CT scoring guide vs the reality of how we score...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: CT scoring guide vs the reality of how we score... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CT scoring guide vs the reality of how we score... - 12/23/2021 6:27:59 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brej

As a huge rookie compared to many in this thread, I will say that I value what is written in TNs. I have seen scores on CT that are wildly above or below the majority of scores for a particular wine and the scorer leaves no TN to support their score. I ignore those TNs. But I will confess to having padded my scores on a at least one wine that I liked in an attempt to provide balance for what I feel is an unrealistically low score.

One of the many things I appreciate about CT is a discussion such as this that provides so much information and perspective to consider. I hope it helps make me a more appreciative enjoyer of good wine!

re: the part in bold: See, that wasn't honest of you. As a result, now you are tasked with remembering this lie, and the direction in which you padded, for your note to be of maximum utility to yourself. As for others who read your note and see your score: they'll never know you padded the score, and are likely to take you at face value (as anybody should, imo). Just something to think about.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Brej)
Post #: 31
RE: CT scoring guide vs the reality of how we score... - 12/23/2021 6:35:50 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: fanglangzhe

I appreciate how many CTers try to follow the CT scoring guide. Perhaps the biggest problem is with 80-85 being called "Good". Perhaps I just don't understand what "good" means in the English language. But when I see a score in that range, it almost certainly does not mean "good" in the way I understand that word. As I posted in another thread, "good" should not mean the same as "OK", "so-so", "average", "meh". It should convey something that is better than all of those words.

I think many (most?; damn near all?) CT users really *are* out of touch with what an "average" wine really is. I have not intentionally purchased a wine that is generally-regarded as "average" in I-don't-know-how-long. Even our "cheap" or "daily drinker" wines tend to be at least "good" (80 pts, or above). Hell, my "cheap" or "daily drinker" wines tend to be at least 86 points, per my scoring. Us wine geeks, simply, know what we're doing, and we're good at it. Remember back in the days when we knew nothing? When we were buying grocery store garbage because we had no clue? I remember. I still have my TN notebooks from those days. My wine selections were made mostly on the basis of how good the alleged "deal" was --- oooh!, a random-a$$ CA Cab. from who-knows-what-appellation, normally $27, but now on sale for $15.99?!? -- What a deal! Sold!! Sorry-not-sorry, but my experience with shopping like that meant I ran into many clunkers, many "good" wines, and only the occasional very good or excellent wine. But, over time, with time and attention, I learned, as we all do, so long as we're paying attention. "We" comprise "the 1%" of wine drinkers. "We" lose sight of what "good" and "average" truly are, instead -- over time -- replacing those terms/ideas with "good to us" and "average to us," which, really, tends to be "very good" or "excellent" to most others.

Sorry for being long-winded. Not even sure I made a point there ...

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to fanglangzhe)
Post #: 32
RE: CT scoring guide vs the reality of how we score... - 12/23/2021 6:43:29 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrBad

If I were required to score the CT way I would find another wine tracking system, there are plenty out there.

I came to Cellartracker looking for a better way to track my wines and score my wines and I am paying yearly for that service based on the number of wines in my cellar. I had begun writing my own database inventory system when I stumbled on CT and figured this is much easier. There is NO requirement on the scoring system for the cellartracker wine tracking and scoring system. There is the mentioned thread on CT scoring method but this IS NOT in the terms of service. My scoring is not disruptive and is actually in line with the majority of scorers for the wines I score. I would be more than happy for the capability to remove my scores from the overall CT average or for CT to be able to do that automatically.

I generally don't pay a lot of attention to CT scores except for people I've come to know who have similar tastes and scoring as myself. The notes are probably more important to me than the scores. I rely more on professional reviewer scores for decisions on buying wine, CT for how a wine is drinking.

Great post!

One feature I love about CT is the ability to mark other users as "Favorite Tasters" (in the OG CT) --- I think maybe this term was changed to
become a fan of", or something like that.

Professional reviewers aren't exactly free of ulterior motives the way most CT users are. Most CT users aren't going to be folks who write notes you find especially useful, but CT is comprised of tons of users, so there *are* *a lot* who do know what they're talking about, and who write notes that *are* of incredible usefulness. When I'm in the wine store, and want to look-up a wine on CT to read the notes, I always read the notes from my "Favorite Tasters" first, and give them much more weight than I do the notes from others. In fact, I have the option toggled to display TNs from my "Favorite tasters" first and foremost, before the TNs from all other users; I find this helpful.

Ultimately, one's TN (imo) should first and foremost be useful *for oneself*! If the TN isn't of any utility to the author, herself, then why even bother?

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 33
RE: CT scoring guide vs the reality of how we score... - 12/23/2021 9:17:49 PM   
DrBad

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrBad

If I were required to score the CT way I would find another wine tracking system, there are plenty out there.

I came to Cellartracker looking for a better way to track my wines and score my wines and I am paying yearly for that service based on the number of wines in my cellar. I had begun writing my own database inventory system when I stumbled on CT and figured this is much easier. There is NO requirement on the scoring system for the cellartracker wine tracking and scoring system. There is the mentioned thread on CT scoring method but this IS NOT in the terms of service. My scoring is not disruptive and is actually in line with the majority of scorers for the wines I score. I would be more than happy for the capability to remove my scores from the overall CT average or for CT to be able to do that automatically.

I generally don't pay a lot of attention to CT scores except for people I've come to know who have similar tastes and scoring as myself. The notes are probably more important to me than the scores. I rely more on professional reviewer scores for decisions on buying wine, CT for how a wine is drinking.

Great post!

One feature I love about CT is the ability to mark other users as "Favorite Tasters" (in the OG CT) --- I think maybe this term was changed to
become a fan of", or something like that.

Professional reviewers aren't exactly free of ulterior motives the way most CT users are. Most CT users aren't going to be folks who write notes you find especially useful, but CT is comprised of tons of users, so there *are* *a lot* who do know what they're talking about, and who write notes that *are* of incredible usefulness. When I'm in the wine store, and want to look-up a wine on CT to read the notes, I always read the notes from my "Favorite Tasters" first, and give them much more weight than I do the notes from others. In fact, I have the option toggled to display TNs from my "Favorite tasters" first and foremost, before the TNs from all other users; I find this helpful.

Ultimately, one's TN (imo) should first and foremost be useful *for oneself*! If the TN isn't of any utility to the author, herself, then why even bother?

Thanks NORTHPAL!

Yes, I've made a few connections by scoring similar wines. Haven't met up yet due to travel restrictions but hope to meet up with them some day and share some of the wines we've all been enjoying together virtually.

Peace :-)

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: CT scoring guide vs the reality of how we score... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI