CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/17/2022 6:48:46 AM   
Jesi1882

I've noticed quite often that when I use my coravin the wine tastes slightly muted in the glasses that I pour out of the system, as compared to the last glass or two which I just pull the cork and pour normally. Ive noticed this across the board with dry and off dry whites, rose and reds. Ive noticed it in bottles that I have drank over a week or less and even from one glass out of the coravin and one poured out of the bottle on the same night. So its not really a matter of the system not properly preserving the wine, but rather coming out of the coravin the wine tastes different.

Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe the pouring allows more air to let the wine breathe a little whereas the coravin trickles slowly so its not exposed to as much oxygen? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to try using the aerator attachment to see if this kind of eliminates the taste difference tonight but thought I'd ask the forum.

Thanks all
Post #: 1
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/17/2022 7:16:02 AM   
DoubleD1969

I don’t have a Coravin. Do you clean the needle after each use?

(in reply to Jesi1882)
Post #: 2
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/17/2022 7:37:07 AM   
dontime

Welcome Jesi. Interesting first post.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/17/2022 8:22:53 AM   
Jesi1882

Thanks. Glad to be here.

I don't clean it after every use but almost every night. I might have a bottle with 3 or so glasses left which would make a good test. Unclean needle, clean needle, and PnP.

One article I read somehwere mentioned vigrously swirling after using the coravin. It suggested that the argon may still be blanketed on top so swirl heartily and wait. I know next to nothing about chemistry, but would it be possible that the argon is still present in the glass after the slow delicate trickle out of the needle but pouring is enough agitation that the argon melts/floats/disspiates away?

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 4
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/17/2022 10:09:36 AM   
KPB

I do have one, and don't use it a lot, but have wondered about this. My current theory is that the effect is purely psychological and that in a blinded tasting I wouldn't be able to tell (like if we had two bottles, one coravined a few days ago, then opened tonight, side by side with a second full bottle opened tonight).

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Jesi1882)
Post #: 5
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/17/2022 4:19:08 PM   
grizzlymarmot

Argon is heavier than air, but the argon should not come out the bottle when you pour the wine. What about temperature? Are your Coravin wines generally always cellar temp when poured? I think I would try to avoid warming and cooling wines where Coravin is used. (I literally got my Coravin today and I have been thinking about the temperature issue and I decided that cellar pours were the best idea.)

(in reply to Jesi1882)
Post #: 6
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/17/2022 10:11:26 PM   
Hollowine

I use Coravin almost exclusively in the same way it sounds like the OP is using it...2-3 pours over time, then pop the cork for the last glass or two.

I have noticed some occasional variation but not enough to sense every glass is affected. I think KPB makes an interesting hypothesis that sample bias could come into play, though as a science and math nerd I think that might be situational more than cause-effect.

Grizzly, I too agree with drastic warming/cooling, as the needle puncture has never proven to be as elastic as I would want for long term sampling and simple PV=nRT would dictate that a wine sampled at cellar and then put in the fridge would have a pressure drop as it cooled to 38-40 degrees, and thus would create a vacuum that could pull air in the puncture. That said, my whites go in the fridge anyways, and I try not to think too much about it as I'm usually pairing with food and any minor degradation is probably masked by my ADD

Don't really have a guess on this one Jesi...hope the aeration helps. I usually give my pours several seconds of healthy swirling just to wake things up.

(in reply to grizzlymarmot)
Post #: 7
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/18/2022 6:03:01 AM   
Sourdough

Well said, Scott! Very solid comments IMO.

I seem to be increasingly using my Coravin - usually stealing 1/3 to 1/2 bottle at a time for the two of us. I do not feel I typically notice variation over a week or two or even up to a month. My limited experience with storage over 3 months has been spotty. Reds are typically left on a counter, upright, at room temp to be drunk over the next week or two, and collared if longer. White are typically refrigerated before and after needling.

It is I think worth noting that argon is first off, an inert gas. It doesn't react chemically with anything( under anything but super extreme weird laboratory conditions) so is not directly involved chemically. That said, after Coravining, the air space above the wine will be almost pure Argon (say 80% or more if we steal 160 ml and there was 40 ml of ullage before the steal). The volatiles in the wine will be diminished as they vaporize to achieve new vapor pressure equilibria between the liquid and vapor space. So one should anticipate some (small in most cases) shift in the aroma profile. That said, pouring wine does much the same thing but with air and not argon and has the complication of introducing oxygen and oxidation which will degrade the wine in addition to reducing (preexisting) volatiles in the wine. From this perspective Coravining should be superior to opening and recording.

I am a touch embarrassed that, as a Chemical Engineer I had not thought much about temperature effects encouraging the bottle to breathe. The needle hole and its reluctance to seal and thus seep has long discouraged me from extended storage of Coravined bottles. If we drop the temp of a sealed bottle from 70 oF to 40 oF trphe pressure of the vapor space will drop by in proportion to the temperature change relative to absolute zero or 30/530

Or. (70-40)/(70 +460)

as adding 460 converts Fahrenheit to Rankine (absolute 0).

This equates to a reduction in vapor pressure of 5.6% - the equivalent of a 1680 foot rise in elevation. That seems substantial and would seem likely to cause the bottle to "inhale" is the needle hole is not sealed. Also worth noting that the volume of air to be inhaled woipuld be 5.6% of the vapor space or 11 ,2 ml in the example above with a 200 ml vapor space. Not substantial but not trivial with extended storage.

< Message edited by Sourdough -- 2/18/2022 7:42:26 AM >

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 8
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/18/2022 6:31:47 AM   
DrBad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sourdough

I seem to be increasingly using my Coravin - usually stealing 1/3 to 1/2 bottle at a time for the two of us. I do not feel I typically notice variation over a week or two or even up to a month. My limited experience with storage over 3 months has been spotty. Reds are typically left on a counter, upright, at room temp to be drunk over the next week or two, and collared if longer. White are typically refrigerated before and after needling.

It is I think worth noting that argon is first off, an inert gas. It doesn't react chemically with anything( under anything but super extreme weird laboratory conditions) so is not directly involved chemically. That said, after Coravining, the air space above the wine will be almost pure Argon (say 80% or more if we steal 160 ml and there was 40 ml of ullage before the streal). The volatiles in the wine will be diminished as they vaporize to achieve new vapor pressure equilibria between the liquid and vapor space. So one should anticipate some (small in most cases) shift in the aroma profile. That said, pouring wine does much the same thing but with air and not argon and has the complication of introducing oxygen and oxidation which will degrade the wine in addition to reducing (preexisting) volatiles in the wine. From this perspective Coravining should be superior to opening and recording.

I am a touch embarrassed that, as a Chemical Engineer I had not thought much about temperature effects encouraging the bottle to breathe. The needle hole and its reluctance to seal and thus seep has long discouraged me from extended storage of Coravined bottles. If we drop the temp of a sealed bottle from 70 oF to 40 oF trphe pressure of the vapor space will drop by in proportion to the temperature change relative to absolute zero or 30/530

Or. (70-40)/(70 +460)

This equates to a reduction in vapor pressure of 5.6% - the equivalent of a 1680 foot rise in elevation. That seems substantial and would seem likely to cause t g e bottle to "inhale" is the needle hole is not sealed. Also worth noting that the volume of air to be inhaled woipuld be 5.6% of the vapor space or 11 ,2 ml in the example above with a 200 ml vapor space. Not substantial but not trivial with extended storage.

Always like it when we get some equations on this board ;-)

I've never noticed anything funny about short term Coravined bottles and though not scientific, it doesn't seem to me like a Coravined glass behaves any differently than a PnP glass.

Sometimes I don't pour from the Coravin to the end of the pressurized pump but release the trigger while it is still pressurizing because I've reached the amount I want to pour. I've noticed that sometimes when I insert the needle into a bottle I've Coravined in the past there is still some pressure in the bottle. Seems like this is a good way to prevent "inhalation".

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 9
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/18/2022 7:40:10 AM   
Sourdough

Good comment, DrBad. Early on I pulled the needle pretty quickly and noticed similar effects but seepage at the needle hole led me to begin waiting before pulling the needle. Having the bottle lightly pressured with Argon would would certainly reduce or prevent "breathing" with temp change. This does rise the question of needle hole sealing though. If the hole seals then it should not breath. But if it doesn't seal and you put it in the fridge the excess pressure should be helpful in preventing breathing. On the counter it doesn't seem likely to make much difference.

< Message edited by Sourdough -- 2/18/2022 7:41:17 AM >

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 10
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/18/2022 8:06:22 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Any time we can talk about Chuck's Law I feel like we have nerded a topic into submission. Nice!

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 11
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/18/2022 9:39:30 AM   
DrBad

quote:

Good comment, DrBad. Early on I pulled the needle pretty quickly and noticed similar effects but seepage at the needle hole led me to begin waiting before pulling the needle. Having the bottle lightly pressured with Argon would would certainly reduce or prevent "breathing" with temp change. This does rise the question of needle hole sealing though. If the hole seals then it should not breath. But if it doesn't seal and you put it in the fridge the excess pressure should be helpful in preventing breathing. On the counter it doesn't seem likely to make much difference.

Yes, seepage sucks. I've got a little puddle in my closet from a bottle and of course I keep my Coravined bottles on the top shelf so it's dripped all over the necks of the bottles below :-(

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 12
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/18/2022 10:13:56 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

Or. (70-40)/(70 +460)

This equates to a reduction in vapor pressure of 5.6% - the equivalent of a 1680 foot rise in elevation. That seems substantial and would seem likely to cause the bottle to "inhale" is the needle hole is not sealed. Also worth noting that the volume of air to be inhaled woipuld be 5.6% of the vapor space or 11 ,2 ml in the example above with a 200 ml vapor space. Not substantial but not trivial with extended storage.

"You had me at hello..."
- Jerry Maguire (1996)

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 13
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/18/2022 10:28:54 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrBad

quote:

Yes, seepage sucks. I've got a little puddle in my closet from a bottle and of course I keep my Coravined bottles on the top shelf so it's dripped all over the necks of the bottles below :-(

Yeah, reds upright on counter, whites no longer on their sides as fridge had puddles...now upright in door.

I've toyed with the idea of sealing the cork puncture with a toothpick...insert 3/8-1/2" and snap off, should be sufficient. Just never remember to go buy a box of toothpicks to keep in the area where I serve my wines.

On the residual pressure comments, I usually stop the pour such that a bit of argon evacuates the needle. This is in part to my obsessiveness with cleaning the needle with a countertop bottle re-corked with grain alcohol, which even after the cleanse I burst argon through the needle before putting the Coravin on its stand.

On a side note:

I had been doing an experiment with my bottle of grain alcohol. It took me a year to use up a pint of Everclear for sterilization, but when I had only about 30ml left in the bottle, I pulled the cork and poured the content into a white bowl. It confirmed my suspicions about contamination risk to pristine bottles...even after argon purge from the pour, the argon charge in the sterilizing bottle has the affect on an as-yet-determined level to introduce wine particulates from a prior pour. This makes the contamination from needle residue a >0% risk. I state this based on a red coloration to the grain alcohol after 100+ sterilization efforts. I let the grain alcohol evaporate over several days and there was a distinct fine-dusting of red powder evident against the stark whiteness of the porcelain bowl. It is for this reason I sterilize after I'm done pouring for the night from each bottle, and for this reason I rarely let wines moved from Location = Cellar to Location = Coravin to remain unfinished longer than 2-6 weeks (typically)...I suspect if I didn't follow this protocol the contaminate risk would be much higher for follow on usages.

< Message edited by Hollowine -- 2/18/2022 10:32:50 AM >

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 14
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/18/2022 10:35:03 AM   
DrBad

I know some folks who seal up the top with wax after they Coravin.

I rinse with warm water and do a puff and don't worry about it too much. I mostly use it for weekday drinkers so plan on finishing the bottles off within a few weeks.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 15
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 2/18/2022 10:42:03 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrBad

I know some folks who seal up the top with wax after they Coravin.

I rinse with warm water and do a puff and don't worry about it too much. I mostly use it for weekday drinkers so plan on finishing the bottles off within a few weeks.

I love playing with matches, but...I detest wax capsules and, worse, the hardened plastic "wax" that is more likely to send me to the emergency room for lacerations than to enhance my opinion of their product. I comprehend what you are saying, just hard for me to go that route when I hate candles/wax that is put it anywhere other than next to the charcuterie in the tasting room...

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 16
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 4/9/2022 6:34:13 PM   
rogerjanss

Very random but related question. Has anyone tried using Coravin to pour separate glasses every couple hours and then drink 5 glasses simultaneously with different periods of pours? I have often drank a bottle over several hours/days to watch evolution but it seems like Coravin allows simultaneously comparing glasses with different periods of time opened?

It’s only worth it if you drink it.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 17
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 4/10/2022 4:55:36 AM   
KPB

Cool idea! I’m going to try this

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to rogerjanss)
Post #: 18
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 4/10/2022 9:35:44 AM   
Sourdough

+1

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 19
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 4/10/2022 10:27:50 AM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogerjanss
and then drink 5 glasses simultaneously

I think 2 glasses simultaneously is my limit.

(in reply to rogerjanss)
Post #: 20
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 4/10/2022 10:39:41 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogerjanss
and then drink 5 glasses simultaneously

I think 2 glasses simultaneously is my limit.

I’ve only got two hands, too

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 21
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 4/10/2022 11:59:36 AM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

Has anyone tried using Coravin to pour separate glasses every couple hours and then drink 5 glasses simultaneously with different periods of pours?

Great idea!!!!!

I don't have a Coravin, but am looking forward to the results from those that do.

One of the things that I think about, when it comes to wine and the amount of time to let it breathe, can be resolved to some degree with this test.

Wine appears to taste better after a glass or two. So is the wine actually getting better with more air....or does the wine only seem to taste better since I have more alcohol in my system?

(in reply to rogerjanss)
Post #: 22
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 4/11/2022 5:29:19 AM   
Chip Merlot

I also would love to read the results of some empirical testing of multiple Coravin glasses poured at different time intervals. I've had numerous tasting-room experiences where my 2 oz or whatever was poured from Coravin and I've always wondered how they thought I could get a truly representative taste from a wine that literally had seconds of air exposure. And imagine they miss out on a lot of sales that way because people are sampling very dull pours unless they stand there for an hour waiting for it to open up....

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 23
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 4/11/2022 10:20:23 AM   
jmcmchi

An easy way of getting at a (limited version of a) similar result is for a couple who don’t mind sharing a glass to each get a pour of wine “x” in a tasting room/ cellar door, one from the end of a bottle, one from a newly opened bottle, and each taste both

You just have to make sure an over-zealous pourer doesn’t try to top up a small pour with wine from the newer bottle

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 24
RE: Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences - 4/11/2022 10:31:04 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chip Merlot

I also would love to read the results of some empirical testing of multiple Coravin glasses poured at different time intervals. I've had numerous tasting-room experiences where my 2 oz or whatever was poured from Coravin and I've always wondered how they thought I could get a truly representative taste from a wine that literally had seconds of air exposure. And imagine they miss out on a lot of sales that way because people are sampling very dull pours unless they stand there for an hour waiting for it to open up....

We recently did a tasting at Savage Grace where every pour (I think) was from a fresh poke with a coravin. A.) this used a lot of argon. and B.) I wondered the same thing about "first" pours each time. I thought they might just do it with the whites, but it continued through 7-8 red wines too. I enjoyed the wines we tasted but who knows how they might improve with more time to open up. Those wines were low alcohol, low oak, low tannin wines, so maybe not as crucial to air out, but I agree with your point that it's an odd practice in tasting rooms. I presume one reason they do that is to conserve on bottle of wine, but it seems more common to assume at least one bottle gets used any day tastings are served.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Coravin vs. Opened-Taste differences Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI