CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 11/25/2023 10:13:59 PM   
KPB

I like good wines, and variety. But up to now my preference among WA offerings has been the Rhône varietals.

< Message edited by KPB -- 11/25/2023 10:14:20 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 31
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 11/26/2023 12:20:52 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

These suggestions were useful to us today! Woodinville itself is not a thrilling city, but we aimed for DeLillo (no luck: fully booked) and ended up trying other places in the same complex. Mark Ryan had my WOTD (wine of the day): the 2020 Cabernet called “Lonely Heart” from fruit off a site called Red Mountain in the Ciel du Cheval area. Very soft, ripe, and really delicious, with potential to hold for years. I would give it 92+. Translates to 97 on the Wine Advocate scale..l $100. Almost as good was the 2020 Old Vines Cabernet, from a vineyard called Red Willow, 91+, $80. Sparkman, in contrast, did not pour anything at all appealing. All the wines tasted green, yet a little candied or cooked. Next time I’ll book a visit to DeLille and will also try Long Shadows and Fidelitas.

Glad you enjoyed your visit, Ken.

I was just in Woodinville in October, and almost all of the ones you mention are now in the former Red Hook Brewery complex, which is mostly new tenants since Eduardo's visit that started this thread. Mark Ryan is now in at least its third Woodinville tasting room location, same for Fidelitas, and maybe Long Shadows too. My October business event was based at The Willows Lodge, just next door, and we actually had one of our dinners at Fidelitas. Catered food I think, but it was good as was the very large Fidelitas tasting room.

Not sure what it all means exactly, but mostly I think it means wine making and tasting is a very dynamic business in Woodinville, and the wineries sell a lot of wine there.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 32
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 11/26/2023 6:39:17 PM   
hankj

Go to Janiuk. The wines are perfectly drinkable, it's a large handsome facility, and you can get a nice wood oven pizza on the weekends. There are more elite tasting rooms, but they don't have good pizza.

Also go to Lachini - Oregon winery so.you don't have to drink Woodinville wines. 😜

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 33
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 12/3/2023 7:10:50 AM   
Jenise

quote:

These suggestions were useful to us today! Woodinville itself is not a thrilling city, but we aimed for DeLillo (no luck: fully booked) and ended up trying other places in the same complex. Mark Ryan had my WOTD (wine of the day): the 2020 Cabernet called “Lonely Heart” from fruit off a site called Red Mountain in the Ciel du Cheval area. Very soft, ripe, and really delicious, with potential to hold for years. I would give it 92+. Translates to 97 on the Wine Advocate scale..l $100. Almost as good was the 2020 Old Vines Cabernet, from a vineyard called Red Willow, 91+, $80. Sparkman, in contrast, did not pour anything at all appealing. All the wines tasted green, yet a little candied or cooked. Next time I’ll book a visit to DeLille and will also try Long Shadows and Fidelitas.

Interesting! I've not had Mark Ryan's upper end wines in a long time. Based on past experiences I would not put them in the same category of sophistication that DeLille and Long Shadows exist in (though Red Willow fruit might be a game changer here). Fidelitas is up there, but only if you love big oak. Def not for Europhile palates. Sparkman? Not a fan at all--would never send anyone there, personally. Candied yes--extracted and sweet. There are so many better wineries here.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 34
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 12/3/2023 8:37:08 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Sparkman sucks you say????

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cowboy-clad-crook-causes-1m-013947269.html

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 35
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 12/3/2023 12:58:02 PM   
KPB

@Jenise, I was actually aiming for DeLillo, but there were full, and Sparkman is next door! And @ChrisinCowiche, your characterization is stronger than my reaction. They simply failed to impress me in a positive way. Very sorry to realize that it was their winery that experienced the dumping attack!

On the other hand, the Mark Ryan wines were good, and I know the Rasa wines pretty well and those are great. Down in my cellar I have others -- Horsepower (which is perhaps a bit more powerful than my normal goal, in fact), and a few bottles of Cayuse, and over the years I've tried Andrew Will, Hors Categorie, Reynvaan and others. So actually, what I really should do is to look for a way to sample a whole lot of wines at once, to find producers and styles in my wheelhouse.

Basically, I'll need to find a trade show sort of setting where there is lots of wine available in tiny tastes... and that happens to be welcoming the public just at a moment when we are out visiting our grandson!

Ken Birman

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 36
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 12/3/2023 3:10:43 PM   
KPB

I’ll maybe add that of them all, Rasa is by far the best match to my palate!

Ken Birman

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 37
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 12/3/2023 3:41:36 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

I’ll maybe add that of them all, Rasa is by far the best match to my palate!

In that case, you might want to try Lobo Hills in Artisan Hill when in Woodinville (weekends only)

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 38
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 12/3/2023 4:31:36 PM   
KPB

Ok! Plus, I’m thinking I should do a side trip to Walla Walla!

Ken Birman

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 39
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 12/3/2023 9:00:41 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

Ok! Plus, I’m thinking I should do a side trip to Walla Walla!

Based on my experience, best allow a week for that

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 40
RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA - 12/13/2023 12:44:14 PM   
annerk

I would suggest Long Shadows for one reason. You've got 11 very different wines made by 6 different winemakers in very different styles.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Best tasting room in Woodinville WA Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI