CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

How often do you add wines to cellartracker?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How often do you add wines to cellartracker? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

How often do you add wines to cellartracker?

As soon as its purchased
  76% (56)
Within 1 week of delivery
  13% (10)
Within 2-4 weeks of delivery
  0% (0)
Wont let it go much more than a month!
  1% (1)
Wont let it go past 1 yr
  2% (2)
As often as the boss makes me do it!
  0% (0)
Ill get to it someday!
  5% (4)
Drink it faster than I purchase it so never need to record it
  0% (0)

Total Votes : 73

(last vote on : 6/29/2022 6:46:33 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/8/2022 6:56:34 PM   
Mocoso

Trying to see if Im the only one that procrastinates updating the incoming wine... I have labels on my wines so the outgoing gets tracked as soon as bottle is opened but getting the new wine in... thats a whole different story...I just added 6 months of wine that was still in boxes!!
Post #: 1
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/8/2022 7:56:15 PM   
cigar52

I login when purchased. It helps keeping track of expected wines.

I tend to purchase most wine online (my local wine merchant stores until I am ready to bring home).

(in reply to Mocoso)
Post #: 2
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/8/2022 8:19:28 PM   
Sourdough

I use both CT and an integrated multiple spreadsheet system for tracking my wines. Keeping them synched is nontrivial. As we consume an average of a bottle a day I literally update both systems daily.

< Message edited by Sourdough -- 5/8/2022 8:20:06 PM >

(in reply to cigar52)
Post #: 3
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 2:46:09 AM   
racerchris

I generally log new wine in on the same day as purchased, and consumed bottles within 24 hours.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 4
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 6:24:01 AM   
pbilling

I used to be pretty good about it, maybe a box or 2 shows up then I get it to CellarTracker. Last summer a friend who moved out of the country gifted me 8 cases of mixed wine. Now I'm tripping over that and everything else that has shown up since.

The secret to enjoying a good wine.
1. Open the bottle and allow to breathe
2. If it doesn't look like it's breathing, give it mouth to mouth.

(in reply to Mocoso)
Post #: 5
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 6:49:03 AM   
brettlaurvick

Right away when I purchase. Much better at logging in than out

Brett
Owner - Cellar Fifty-Five Wine Storage, Sarasota

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to pbilling)
Post #: 6
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 7:11:39 AM   
wineismylife

Purchased.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to brettlaurvick)
Post #: 7
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 8:26:35 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

I have gotten better about adding on purchase then listing as pending, but the correct answer for me is after delivery, since a) I often forget to enter until the bottles arrive, and b) I still have a winery that charges club shipments that I don't know what's in the shipment until I pick it up.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Mocoso)
Post #: 8
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 8:49:32 AM   
BobMilton

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

I have gotten better about adding on purchase then listing as pending, but the correct answer for me is after delivery, since a) I often forget to enter until the bottles arrive, and b) I still have a winery that charges club shipments that I don't know what's in the shipment until I pick it up.

Same here.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 9
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 9:07:05 AM   
Jenise

My answer isn't clearly one or the other so I took the "I'll get to it someday" route. I had a huge pileup of purchases last fall (auction deliveries and purchases from trips to BC and Oregon) and it took six months to get all those recorded and put away. Part of the delay was pure old-fashioned procrastination and part was re-arranging sections of the cellar to acccomodate more of X and Y than I'd previously allowed space for as my tastes have changed somewhat. I felt terrible about it--but I've done it before so no doubt I'll do it again. Fortunately, I'm far more fastidious about removing wines we drink--typically next day.

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 10
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 10:23:55 AM   
chrisrsprague

If I don't do it as soon as purchased I'd probably lose track, and keeping track is the entire reason I keep a CT database. I'm slightly less good at deleting things I've drunk, but still probably 98% good at that overall.

Online purchases get added immediately, store purchases don't go down cellar until scanned in. I may not get around to those for a day or two, but they don't go beyond the cellar door without getting scanned in.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 11
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 10:32:47 AM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

My answer isn't clearly one or the other so I took the "I'll get to it someday" route. I had a huge pileup of purchases last fall (auction deliveries and purchases from trips to BC and Oregon) and it took six months to get all those recorded and put away. Part of the delay was pure old-fashioned procrastination and part was re-arranging sections of the cellar to acccomodate more of X and Y than I'd previously allowed space for as my tastes have changed somewhat. I felt terrible about it--but I've done it before so no doubt I'll do it again. Fortunately, I'm far more fastidious about removing wines we drink--typically next day.

This is close to my approach (or lack thereof!) as well. I sometimes log things in when I purchase, but I am not very good at that. Once a box arrives I then wait until I have time to take out the bottles, make a bar code, and then figure out where to put them. Like Jenise I also try to rearrange to keep things somewhat logical in the cellar (like wines near like wines). With CT of course one can place wines anywhere, but I do like walking into the cellar and just browsing for something rather than doing a more focused search on CT -- a bit like browsing in a bookstore. I am at the rearranging moment -- so there are loose bottles on the floor of the cellar waiting to be placed back in a proper place, and boxes in the cellar and in the hall outside waiting to be opened and catalogued. I am hoping to carve out some time this summer to get it all squared away (he says confidently and optimistically.......)

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 12
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 10:43:05 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

With CT of course one can place wines anywhere, but I do like walking into the cellar and just browsing for something rather than doing a more focused search on CT -- a bit like browsing in a bookstore.

THIS.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 13
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 10:46:28 AM   
sastewart

quote:

ORIGINAL: cigar52

I login when purchased. It helps keeping track of expected wines.

I tend to purchase most wine online (my local wine merchant stores until I am ready to bring home).

This. I just wish I was better at logging consumed wines so that I didn't need to use "missing presumed drunk" so often.

(in reply to cigar52)
Post #: 14
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 12:19:06 PM   
desertwine

In when purchased
Out when consumed - usually within 12 hours

My backup plan - drink a wine I know will be good!

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 15
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/9/2022 11:33:34 PM   
PortLover

When I order wine online, I put the bottles into CT immediately. But when I buy offline I'm getting much worse with keeping track, and bottles that are presents hardly ever find their way into CT. Those are the bottles that I stumble upon in my cellar wondering where they come from.

(in reply to desertwine)
Post #: 16
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/12/2022 6:08:32 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mocoso

Trying to see if Im the only one that procrastinates updating the incoming wine...

I don't just procrastinate, I flat-out don't even bother. The only time I've entered wine into CT was when I was creating the list of bottles I was selling so I could easily send the shop the list.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Mocoso)
Post #: 17
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 5/12/2022 7:33:10 AM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mocoso

Trying to see if Im the only one that procrastinates updating the incoming wine...

I don't just procrastinate, I flat-out don't even bother. The only time I've entered wine into CT was when I was creating the list of bottles I was selling so I could easily send the shop the list.

So 44 out of 49 of us are rather fastidious about our inventory.

It takes a bold man to admit his shortcomings, Cran. We still love you anyway

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 18
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/15/2022 12:34:36 AM   
grafstrb

I used to be fastidious with putting wines into, and taking them out of, inventory in a timely fashion. Over time, I've gotten scary-bad (I voted for the "not much more than a month" option). I took delivery of some Goodfellow at least a month ago at this point, and still haven't updated pricing or changed them from Pending to In My Cellar.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 19
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/15/2022 2:06:59 AM   
rlp805

We are pretty good at keeping CT up to date. We typically add our purchasing to the pending file when ordered (most of our wine is straight from the winery) but it may take us up to a week to actually accept the delivery and move the bottles to the cellar. We typically log out the bottles as we remove them, if not we update CT as the bottles are taken out to the recycle bin. That being said we aren't perfect as we are typically find a few missing bottles and a few untracked bottles when we do a complete inventory.

-Richard

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 20
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/15/2022 5:02:52 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Purchased.

Yup

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 21
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/15/2022 5:24:26 AM   
DoubleD1969

Flawed poll. I only enter in CT if I am not going to drink it right away. Most daily drinking stuff, simple white wines or red wines that will be drunk soon, or in a few instances where I didn't feel opening one from my stash but wanted a bottle to try - these wines don't get entered. I may add a tasting note to remind me if it was worth buying again.

I also don't enter the true quantities or whether I have double mags of Macdonald.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 22
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/15/2022 12:40:16 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sourdough

I use both CT and an integrated multiple spreadsheet system for tracking my wines. Keeping them synched is nontrivial. As we consume an average of a bottle a day I literally update both systems daily.

I'm curious - what's the purpose of the parallel CT/spreadsheet maintenance?

As for myself, purchases get logged right away. Consumed bottles get removed within 1-3 days typically. I usually leave the empty bottle, or at least the cork, on my counter next to the coffee maker as a reminder, and I don't move them until I've made the CT update. Otherwise I'd certainly forget.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 23
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/15/2022 2:57:55 PM   
dad300

usually, the same day I've purchased or when they arrive. taking them out can be problematic and i run a check every couple of months to see how close i am.

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 24
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/15/2022 4:24:03 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

As for myself, purchases get logged right away. Consumed bottles get removed within 1-3 days typically. I usually leave the empty bottle, or at least the cork, on my counter next to the coffee maker as a reminder, and I don't move them until I've made the CT update. Otherwise I'd certainly forget.

I used to be a lot like this, but I would still have a fair share of "missing, presumed drunk" entries. Mainly, because I had a habit of not marking a bottle consumed until I had written a tasting note. Then I made the shift to "consuming" it as soon as (if not, before) popping the cork. I can always add a tasting note later. It has made me not "Suck at CT" nearly as bad as I used to

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 25
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/15/2022 8:56:55 PM   
eyewino

I RELIGIOUSLY enter the bottles I purchase and log out the wines I drink.

That means frequently I say " Oh God, I forgot to log in (or out) the wine"...

I suck at CT.

-Don

In Vino Veritas

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 26
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/15/2022 10:04:29 PM   
dsGris

It sure helps that I have learned to use the iPhone app.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to eyewino)
Post #: 27
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/16/2022 4:32:29 AM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Purchased.

Yup

ditto

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 28
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/16/2022 4:38:27 AM   
dontime

as well.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 29
RE: How often do you add wines to cellartracker? - 6/16/2022 8:41:09 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sourdough

I'm curious - what's the purpose of the parallel CT/spreadsheet maintenance?

I too use both CT and also a spredsheet for tracking. The reasons for doing both are several, but the two most important are that my spreadsheet has a visual representation of all of my bins, so it's easy to see where new arrivals are to be placed. The second is that it allows me to know right away if a mistake has been made. If ever my bottle counts don't match, then it's relatively easy to revew recent drinking history and uncover the error.

I have been using my spreadsheet from the very begining of my journey down this rabbit hole, and it's not that much effort to keep it up. And if it helps in understanding, here's what my SIL got me for my birthday several years ago.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How often do you add wines to cellartracker? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI