CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

How long do you wait to try a brand new wine?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? Page: [1]
[Poll]

How long do you wait to try a brand new wine?

I open one as soon as it arrives
  22% (10)
I wait 2-3 years and continue buying blind
  24% (11)
I talk a friend into opening their bottle when I am there
  8% (4)
I read the tasting notes from the winery and follow any guidance there
  13% (6)
I put them in the cellar and forget for a decade.
  13% (6)
I read pro reviews and do what they suggest.
  17% (8)

Total Votes : 45

(last vote on : 12/15/2022 1:29:45 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 11:43:30 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

If you have purchased a wine without prior tasting, how long do you wait to sample one of the bottles you own?

In particular, I'm thinking about new releases (Rotie Love Rocks Syrah and Big G in my case today) that don't have any history, on CT or anywhere else sometimes.

ETA: Multiple selections allowed

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 12/1/2022 11:56:03 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173
Post #: 1
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 11:47:50 AM   
dad300

usually the first bottle is within a week or two of it arriving. if I've purchased at a local store. sometimes that evening. need to see if i want more

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 2
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 11:54:55 AM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

If you have purchased a wine without prior tasting, how long do you wait to sample one of the bottles you own?

That depends. If I think that I may want to purchase more if it's very good, I will open a bottle within a couple of weeks. Otherwise, all wines, except daily drinkers, get cellared for at least a year before I try any.

Post #: 3
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 12:57:43 PM   
recotte

If it's from a store, I will usually open one pretty soon. If it's from a winery or mailing list that I've not been able to taste at, but I'm buying based on others' recommendations, I will open one prior to buying the next year's offer, but probably not "as soon as it arrives."

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 4
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 1:08:48 PM   
wineismylife

Grip it and rip it.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 5
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 1:15:48 PM   
wine247365

I set drink dates based on the variety, my knowledge of the producer’s style, and/or AVA/Appl’n, so could sit on it until the early part of the drink dates. I’ll also occasionally check CT to see if any subsequent notes arrive after my purchase for that wine or others from the producer and adjust the drinking window accordingly.

< Message edited by wine247365 -- 12/1/2022 1:16:18 PM >

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

Post #: 6
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 1:20:26 PM   
S1

It’s a quest. Can I get the bottle open before the driver gets back to the truck?

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 7
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 4:33:18 PM   
JohnWino

If I have an interest in buying more, or it is from a supplier who buys in batches of unpredictable size, I sample soon and go in for the kill soon after.

I have to admit this is dealing with Costco mainly, there have been several great wines that I have loved at a great price that I bought one, went back a week later, and never saw it again. This doesn't apply to the low end (that hangs around for years sometimes), or high end wines. In the middle range there occasionally shows up a new wine with exceptional quality and surprising price. Of course this is based on my personal taste which can be quirky.

It also happened with the Beaujolais Nouveau this year at TotalWine. That is also a low availability wine that I got excited about this year.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 8
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 4:35:45 PM   
JohnWino

Last time I was in Berkeley, there was a shabbily dressed wine connoisseur who was in such a hurry that he finished the bottle before he reached the cashier! I think he even lost the bottle before he left the store. Not an environmentalist I suppose, or he would have disposed of it properly.

(in reply to JohnWino)
Post #: 9
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 5:24:02 PM   
KPB

Does “wait” mean minutes? Hours?

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to JohnWino)
Post #: 10
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 5:49:52 PM   
Jenise

Depends on how many I bought, what my expectations are and what the opportunity for replacement is. If its an in-store purchase that will probably disappear quickly, I've even pulled corks in parking lots.

If I bought a case, then I'm in for the long haul already and will open one within a few months of deliver--always good to get to know your children so you recognize them when they grow up. :)

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 11
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/1/2022 7:33:57 PM   
ericindc

It depends. I have no problem putting wine down for a decade plus from quality wine regions, even if its a producer I don't know. I've purchased several burgundy producers that, based upon the tier (village, 1er, GC) that I can confidently put down for 1-2 decades. Same with Bordeaux or Barolo, although at this point, I've tried most classified Bordeaux. But I like older wine, and I've rarely tasted an older wine I didn't like, so I err on aging long. We just did a big tasting of '82 Bordeaux, and none were over the hill to me. However, if it was a weaker vintage like '84, then I wouldn't wait as long. Generally i make an informed guess on when to open them. I check on CT from time to time to see what they are like and will adjust as needed.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 12
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/2/2022 1:24:42 AM   
Echinosum

I buy wines to go into remote storage most of the time. I have capacity for about 350 bottles at home, and have about 900 remote.

When I take delivery from remote storage, I tend to find it is a good idea to let them rest for a few weeks, especially reds. Though it is difficult being patient at this point. At least I have the self-discipline not to open multiple bottles, and wait until I have finished the previous. If I take delivery of about 7 or 8 wines in a batch, that tends to impose a decent rest period for some of them.

I read about when the wine might be ready to drink, to time delivery from remote. I find I still nearly always take delivery too early, despite adjusting for my previous experiences. For example, I thought my cheapest 2016 claret might be drinkable now, but I think it will be a lot better with further time. I poked it to the back of the cellar. My cheapest 2015 is drinking well, and going too fast as the other ones I won't take delivery for another year at least.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 13
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/2/2022 3:06:13 AM   
musedir

Chris, Dr. M and I do Cellar Tetris twice a year for the fall and spring shipments, so I’m always looking at the drink windows that I usually note on the neck tabs to help me keep track. Most of my WA wines now have a tasting history so their aging is somewhat anticipated, even new wines from known vineyards. Less so with our French wines that I know very little about but continue to buy. Tasting notes from CT members was not an option on your poll but very important to me. Aged WA reds are damn good!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 14
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/2/2022 10:28:30 AM   
Eduardo787

I have bought hundreds of bottles in the past without tasting them once before buying. I rely a lot on tasting notes, vintage, and definitely past history of the chateaux. Descriptors people use more than once let me know in advance what to expect. I received in the last few days maybe 100 bottles of different wines that I have never tasted and all are for the long haul since they are Bordeaux and need at least a minimun of 4-5 years to even consider opening one.

I think that many of us gamble with wines and pray that when the time has come the wine will not dissapoint. Then there is the issue of opening right away when they are really young and not being able to realize that the wine will taste very different when the time comes but sometimes ( or most times) we really are not sure about the finished product

Napa is quite easy to understand, Bordeaux for me continues to be a never ending path that I consider very challenging. Italy.....that is my personal love/hate/misunderstood wine.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

Post #: 15
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/2/2022 1:11:58 PM   
Sourdough

Wow! This is for me a somewhat tricky question to answer..

If it is a single bottle or likely 2 or 3 bottles that I may want to buy more of I will open one bottle quickly.

If it is a wine I bought blind but don't want more of that vintage I will often hold three to six months before opening the first bottle and possibly much longer. For example I only recently opened the first bottle of a case of 2013 Clos Erasmus.

If it is a wine I am familiar with, I open based on previous experuence.

< Message edited by Sourdough -- 12/10/2022 5:34:29 AM >

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 16
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/2/2022 4:19:50 PM   
DoubleD1969

It depends. The last bottle(s) I bought that I had no history with was the 2008 Chapoutier Les Greffieux. I held it for about 3 years. When I bought my first couple of cases based on professional reviews, I opened one within a month.

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 17
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/3/2022 10:55:41 AM   
Sean McGrath

If it's a case I'll try one right away. With six or less I wait for the presumed drinking window. I have a strong preference for tertiary aromas.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 18
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/3/2022 12:36:37 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sourdough

Wow! This is for me a somewhat tricky question to answer..

If it is a single bottle or likely 2 or 3 bottles that I may want to buy more of I will open one bottle quickly.

If it is a wine I bought blind but don't want more of that vintage I will often hold three to six months before opening the first bottle and possibly. For example I only recently opened the first bottle of a case of 2013 Clos Erasmus.

If it is a wine I am familiar with, I open based on previous experuence.

This is a good summary of my general mindset as well. I'm pretty inconsistent, though, unless I have a clear idea that a bottle is a tester for a potential repeat purchase.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 19
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/3/2022 2:55:37 PM   
WineGuyCO

Majority of purchases are Bordeaux and I buy all wines now blind without tasting the. I mostly buy in the great vintages (15, 16, 18 & 19) so most of the wines I buy will be good to very good to great. Some will be better than others but I’m not looking for a 95-100 point wines. 91-95 point wines are fine for me.

The 15’s I’m buying I will try in the next 6-18 months. 16’s will be a couple years. When I try them and want to buy more in a year or two I know I will pay more for the wine and don’t care about this. This is my passion so if I have to pay up for something great so be it.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 20
RE: How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? - 12/8/2022 1:33:10 PM   
grafstrb

Depends on the wine.

I have done every option on the list except the trying to talk a friend into opening one of theirs.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How long do you wait to try a brand new wine? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI