CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/22/2023 8:35:02 AM   
Slye

I just attended a 20th anniversary dinner at Lark with Christophe and his wines. Not surprisingly excellent food and wine pairings. The highlight was a side by side pour of 2016 Horsepower Tribe Syrah and 2016 Bionic Frog. They were remarkably different. The BF was really elegant -- not an adjective I normally use with Cayuse wines. The funk was there but nicely integrated -- very smooth and gentle on the palate. Except for the annual party this is the first time I have had a BF this young, and at least for 2016 it was pretty amazing. No sense it is going to fall apart any time soon. The HP Tribe was for me a more traditional Cayuse profile -- strong funk, ash, dark meats. Quite well done in that style, but so very different than the BF. Makes me glad that I have not given up my allocation of that one!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 31
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/22/2023 5:03:34 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: markandsusanw

I've only been on the Cayuse list for 5 years or so, after waiting for 9+, but it already feels like we so much (70+ bottles, not including Horsepower and No Girls), I'm either going to need to try more of it too young, or give up some of our offerings blind. With wish list adds we now have everything except Pig and Frog, and it's just too much, especially given how long we plan on cellaring the bulk of it.

In a similar boat. Now have allocations for everything I want except for Pig and BF, and while I haven't been on the list all that long, I feel like Cayuse is taking over my cellar!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to markandsusanw)
Post #: 32
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/22/2023 6:04:29 PM   
hankj

markandsusan, like many of my wine opinions, this one might be in the minority, but I think Cayuse et al drink quite well just three or four years out of vintage. To me, the asset profile and heft is similar to for instance many Turley's Zinfandel, which can age for a while but also drink well up front too.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 33
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/22/2023 9:32:59 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: markandsusanw

I've only been on the Cayuse list for 5 years or so, after waiting for 9+, but it already feels like we so much (70+ bottles, not including Horsepower and No Girls), I'm either going to need to try more of it too young, or give up some of our offerings blind. With wish list adds we now have everything except Pig and Frog, and it's just too much, especially given how long we plan on cellaring the bulk of it.

In a similar boat. Now have allocations for everything I want except for Pig and BF, and while I haven't been on the list all that long, I feel like Cayuse is taking over my cellar!

Yellow capsules on the wall, yellow boxes on the floor. I am familiar with that problem.

As a business guy, I applaud their genius in marketing. As a wine guy, I learned that what you don't purchase will not be offered again for a number of years.

Since everything comes in 3's, I would recommend opening some early, and deciding what style you really like the best. I stopped purchasing the GOK, Armada, and Widowmaker Cab Sauv first; and Frog, en Cerise, and Camaspelo last.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 34
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/24/2023 9:20:38 AM   
annerk

I am pondering how much longer I'll buy Cayuse. I'm not getting younger, and we really don't have anyone to leave the collection to. Plus storage is again becoming an issue. I might just stay in for two or three wines and stop buying the rest in a couple more years. At going on 63 I am no longer interested in wine that need 15-20 years of age to hit their peak.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 35
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/24/2023 9:52:43 AM   
Paul852

So surely the answer is to buy Cayuse when it's ready? Here in HK I can readily buy Cayuse (for example Bionic Frog from many vintages from 2004 onwards), so I guess it is much more readily available in the USA.

But having said that, I can never see any wine justifying a price of ~US$400/bottle. I'd far rather drink 10 bottles of $40 wine which is 99% as good.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 36
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/24/2023 4:19:50 PM   
KPB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852
… Here in HK…

So, you are back in China?

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 37
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/24/2023 5:20:49 PM   
hankj

quote:

So surely the answer is to buy Cayuse when it's ready? Here in HK I can readily buy Cayuse (for example Bionic Frog from many vintages from 2004 onwards), so I guess it is much more readily available in the USA.

But having said that, I can never see any wine justifying a price of ~US$400/bottle. I'd far rather drink 10 bottles of $40 wine which is 99% as good.

A lot here not quite getting it right about Cayuse.

Cayuse doesn't NEED more than a few years to settle down. You can drink it old but don't have to.

And as futures bottles start under 80 bucks. Which is a great reason to buy from the club if it's a wine you want more of. I agree the.secondary market prices are largely not worth it, particularly in terms of opportunity cost against other wines.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 38
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/25/2023 4:26:19 AM   
Paul852

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB
So, you are back in China?

Apart from an exploratory few weeks in the UK/Europe earlier in the summer we never left. At the end of the day, the political situation here isn't bad enough (yet) to justify the financial cost of moving our tax residence almost anywhere except HK (i.e. from zero tax on income to ~30%+). We sold our apartment and are now renting a serviced apartment so that we have the flexibility to move quickly if necessary.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 39
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/26/2023 9:53:10 AM   
markandsusanw

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

quote:

A lot here not quite getting it right about Cayuse.

Cayuse doesn't NEED more than a few years to settle down. You can drink it old but don't have to.

And as futures bottles start under 80 bucks. Which is a great reason to buy from the club if it's a wine you want more of. I agree the.secondary market prices are largely not worth it, particularly in terms of opportunity cost against other wines.

Yeah, my "fear" (and it's not an actual fear, more a justification) is of missing out on a wine I could never afford if I didn't get it direct which is why I haven't cut any of my Cayuse offerings YET. But with the latest wish list granting I'm up to two full cases a year, which tests both my needs and my wallet. I'm sort of thinking of giving up on Horsepower and/or No Girls, instead. Though the former has more we've actually sampled and enjoyed, and the Double Lucky No Girls is a relative bargain that is quite good, and a great way to introduce others to this style of Washington wine.

< Message edited by markandsusanw -- 9/28/2023 6:00:55 AM >

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 40
RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse - 9/26/2023 2:18:44 PM   
bularry

great post, and I understand completely. hard feeling to express and you did it well

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: I think I don't want to buy any more Cayuse Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI