CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Vineyards

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Vineyards Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Vineyards - 10/29/2023 8:34:46 AM   
grizzlymarmot

Two of my favorite wines this year have been from Lavaux St-Jacques (2019) and Combe aux Moines(2010). Both wines were flawless to my palate and delivered exactly the experience I expect from bouquet to finish. I've had less than a handful of GC Burgundy - so I am not really well-schooled what could be better (and with current prices, that education may not ever happen.) When I look at the map these are some of the most elevated vineyards in the area. Perhaps these will be the stars of the future and at least for now are at a decent price point.
Post #: 1
RE: My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Viney... - 10/29/2023 8:56:51 AM   
S1

Producer(s)?

Both vineyards are considered somewhat second rank because of their exposure, and cooler temperatures compared to other nearby climats. I have tasted some delicious examples over the years, paricularly from ripe vintages. I'm not sure Claude Dugat still makes a Lavaux, but it used to be great. Fourrier's Combe aux Moines is dynamite.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to grizzlymarmot)
Post #: 2
RE: My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Viney... - 10/29/2023 9:02:16 AM   
pclin

Claude Dugat still makes LSJ.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 3
RE: My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Viney... - 10/29/2023 10:09:39 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: pclin

Claude Dugat still makes LSJ.

THNX!!

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 4
RE: My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Viney... - 10/29/2023 3:08:46 PM   
grizzlymarmot

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

Producer(s)?

Tortochot for the Lavaux St Jacques
Rene LeClerc for the Combe Aux Moines

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 5
RE: My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Viney... - 10/29/2023 5:25:19 PM   
khmark7

I can barely afford most Premier Cru and have been exploring different producers and villages. Right now I am seeking out any rouge from Chambolle Musigny I can find.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 6
RE: My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Viney... - 10/29/2023 5:56:25 PM   
WineGuyCO

Gevrey Chambertin is my least favorite Burgundy by far. I’ve tried many but can’t come to grips with the style there. Give me Chambolle Musigny, Vosne Romanee or Volnay 1er Cru and I’m good.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 7
RE: My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Viney... - 10/30/2023 6:08:04 AM   
khmark7

I have a question. For quality producers what is a good time period to start opening these village level Burgs? 5-7 years? 7-9 years? Thinking I need to allocate a few more shelves in the Eurocave towards Burgundy and shuffle around my aging Bordeaux.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 8
RE: My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Viney... - 10/30/2023 6:56:53 AM   
grizzlymarmot

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Gevrey Chambertin is my least favorite Burgundy by far. I’ve tried many but can’t come to grips with the style there. Give me Chambolle Musigny, Vosne Romanee or Volnay 1er Cru and I’m good.

One of the reasons these two wines were so appealing is that they had the softer profiles of C-M and Volnay (at a different price point). There is little in Vosne-Romanee that I can afford and the village level wines that I have need 10 solid years before they enter the drinking window.

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

I have a question. For quality producers what is a good time period to start opening these village level Burgs? 5-7 years? 7-9 years? Thinking I need to allocate a few more shelves in the Eurocave towards Burgundy and shuffle around my aging Bordeaux.

I'll give an answer - but I am a fan of young red Burgundy. I have enjoyed the 2017 vintage at this level over the past several years. The 2021 vintage appears to be good for early drinking and I will be testing that theory soon. With the exception of Vosne-Romanee, I don't buy village level to age more than 10 years. I buy nearly every vintage, and if during the early drinking window, a new vintage that drinks early comes out then some of my village level wines will stay in the racks for longer.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 9
RE: My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Viney... - 10/30/2023 7:41:16 AM   
pclin

FWIW, ‘93 Claude Dugat LSJ and ‘93 Rousseau LSJ were the best LSJ I have ever come across, both could give any Grand Cru a good run for the money.

< Message edited by pclin -- 10/30/2023 7:42:20 AM >

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> My new favorite Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Vineyards Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI