CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Inventory Time!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Inventory Time! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Inventory Time! - 11/1/2023 12:06:32 PM   
gbm

As I was putting away the Fall deliveries, I found that one bin which should have had about 10 bottles only had 3. And another vintage of the same wine was missing entirely. I know that I let a few bottles slide here and there, but as I looked further I began to realize how far out of control things have actually become. It has been years, literally, since my last inventory and I cannot remember what format I used for the printout. So, is there a shortcut I haven't found for an inventory list? If not, what's your favorite way to format the list?

(P.S. And I don't want to hear about bar codes. Y'all are several levels above me in organizational skills. Frankly, even with barcodes I wouldn't be up to date with the comings and goings from the cellar).

Greg
Post #: 1
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/1/2023 12:18:08 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbm

(P.S. And I don't want to hear about bar codes. Y'all are several levels above me in organizational skills. Frankly, even with barcodes I wouldn't be up to date with the comings and goings from the cellar).

I don’t need no bar, I just sit at the dining table

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 2
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/1/2023 1:06:26 PM   
WineGuyCO

Pretty simple really if all of your wine is in CT. Everytime you drink a bottle you score it, review it and remove it from your inventory. I do this with every bottle and I never have lost and presumed drank bottles.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 3
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/1/2023 2:26:00 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

It depends on how your physical cellar is organized, but CT lists in Restuarant format or sorted by things that make sense for your cellar are the way to start, imo.

My cellar is generally organized by type then varietal. All my whites are (supposed to be) in an upstairs frig named hank, then sorted on shelves by variety. Chenin, Rhones, Sauv Banc, other, those are my current inventory whites. Red are in a downstairs cellar with three walls of racking. One wall is Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, blends, back wall is Pinot, Tempranillo, Zinfandel, right wall is Cab, Merlot, other Bordeaux varietals, Blends, Sangio, Nebbiolo, Italians. At least that is the intent.

I print out a variety at a time, might have 200 bottles (Syrah), or 3, (Nebbiolo), But I take those sheets to the physical place those wines are supposed to be and check them off as I find them and write down any I find that aren't on the list.

I do this once every couple of years and always have lots more missing, presumed drunk, than found bottles. I need to do it again, but mine take 2-3 days, best case, and I can live without doing it until a long holiday at home alone. Might happen this Christmas/New Years, which is usually have done it before to square up at year end.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 4
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/1/2023 2:59:10 PM   
DoubleD1969

With only about 200 bottles left now, it is so much easier to do an inventory. lol

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 5
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/1/2023 3:40:28 PM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

It depends on how your physical cellar is organized, but CT lists in Restuarant format or sorted by things that make sense for your cellar are the way to start, imo.

My cellar is generally organized by type then varietal. All my whites are (supposed to be) in an upstairs frig named hank, then sorted on shelves by variety. Chenin, Rhones, Sauv Banc, other, those are my current inventory whites. Red are in a downstairs cellar with three walls of racking. One wall is Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, blends, back wall is Pinot, Tempranillo, Zinfandel, right wall is Cab, Merlot, other Bordeaux varietals, Blends, Sangio, Nebbiolo, Italians. At least that is the intent.

I print out a variety at a time, might have 200 bottles (Syrah), or 3, (Nebbiolo), But I take those sheets to the physical place those wines are supposed to be and check them off as I find them and write down any I find that aren't on the list.

I do this once every couple of years and always have lots more missing, presumed drunk, than found bottles. I need to do it again, but mine take 2-3 days, best case, and I can live without doing it until a long holiday at home alone. Might happen this Christmas/New Years, which is usually have done it before to square up at year end.

Thanks. Very helpful. My bins are numbered, so I was able to sort it by location. I cut out what extraneous material that I could and dropped it into an Excel worksheet. I had to do a couple of manipulations, but have it sorted now. #, location, wine (and drinking window just as a reminder of what I've got to drink quickly). It will definitely take a day or two, but I have some free weekends coming up.

Greg

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 6
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/1/2023 4:24:49 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Pretty simple really if all of your wine is in CT. Everytime you drink a bottle you score it, review it and remove it from your inventory. I do this with every bottle and I never have lost and presumed drank bottles.

For me personally, I have to switch the order around a little bit. I have found that I need to remove it from inventory as soon as the cork is pulled. A tasting note and score can always be added later, and for a good number of bottles I don't make any notes, so I was always forgetting to update inventory once the bottle was consumed. I have cut my error rate significantly by removing it in CT before drinking. Slainte

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 7
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/1/2023 4:48:33 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

I have found that I need to remove it from inventory as soon as the cork is pulled.

I go further and remove a bottle from CT BEFORE I pull it from the cellar. That way I never forget to mark it in CT. Worst case, I have a bottle in inventory that is not listed in CT. That hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure it eventually will.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 8
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/1/2023 4:57:09 PM   
skifree

When I do an inventory I export my cellar to Excel, and then remove lots of columns and do lots of sorting to match my cellar organization, and then print.

I have thought about bringing my Ipad down to the cellar and using the CT app, but the connectivity is not quite good enough. But I would go that way if I could.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 9
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/1/2023 5:11:44 PM   
khmark7

This thread needs to be merged with the "I Suck at CT" thread

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 10
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/2/2023 3:28:34 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

HaHa…Good one !!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/3/2023 9:55:46 AM   
sastewart

quote:

quote:

HaHa…Good one !!

So very true!

When I lived in Chicago I used to do a complete inventory of my walk in cellar once a year and there were always 8 to 10 missing presumed drunk and usually 3 to 6 wines that never got into cellartracker. The cellar was organized by type and then region - No problem!

Since I moved to Nashville 6 years ago I have wine in 6 locations in 2 states and cannot really do a complete inventory. The wine moves from place to place and I never spend enough time in Chicago to really do a thorough inventory. I try but I expect I have about 50 bottles MISSING, PRESUMED DRUNK!

I suck at Cellartracker.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 12
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/3/2023 4:02:35 PM   
jonboy74

my offsite is organized by case box, so I just print off inventory by box number and work my way through them all...

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 13
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/4/2023 7:51:46 AM   
musedir

quote:

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 14
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/4/2023 8:10:13 AM   
ImUrHuckleberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

quote:

For me personally, I have to switch the order around a little bit. I have found that I need to remove it from inventory as soon as the cork is pulled. A tasting note and score can always be added later, and for a good number of bottles I don't make any notes, so I was always forgetting to update inventory once the bottle was consumed. I have cut my error rate significantly by removing it in CT before drinking. Slainte

We put empty bottles in a bin under the sink, and none go into recycling until I've confirmed that they've been marked as consumed. That way my wife can open bottles whenever without worrying about it (she doesn't manage the CT data at all) and I don't have to stop and update CT while I'm busy drinking. I don't make any updates with my phone, or I would probably do it in real time like you.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 15
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/4/2023 11:51:32 AM   
Ibetian

I just changed offsite storage. Delighted with the new place, Cellar Fifty Five in Sarasota. Now I just need to spend several hours updating inventory.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to ImUrHuckleberry)
Post #: 16
RE: Inventory Time! - 11/4/2023 2:56:01 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: ImUrHuckleberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

quote:

We put empty bottles in a bin under the sink, and none go into recycling until I've confirmed that they've been marked as consumed. That way my wife can open bottles whenever without worrying about it (she doesn't manage the CT data at all) and I don't have to stop and update CT while I'm busy drinking. I don't make any updates with my phone, or I would probably do it in real time like you.

You let your wife open bottles without you? We have rules here at our house. My wife would ask me what wines can I open for my friends? I used to say…..None. But now I have some pizza wines hanging around for that. Progress…

(in reply to ImUrHuckleberry)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Inventory Time! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote