CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/28/2023 10:23:05 PM   
recotte

I just booked a trip to Italy this summer with my girlfriend and our four kids (ages 14-19). We'll be spending a few days each in Rome and Florence, and we'd like to get out of Florence for a day trip at least one day, possibly two. Any recommendations out there for a cool locale that isn't wine-related? A must-see hilltop town or similar Tuscan countryside outing?

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde
Post #: 1
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/29/2023 5:35:30 AM   
DoubleD1969

The Palio in Siena happens on July 2 and August 16 every year. It’s a horse race by the competing neighborhoods around a track that is created from the main piazza. It is a must see. The day of the race is a mad house with pageantry. The race takes about 2 minutes. The town is beautiful. If you go before the main race, there will be trials to determine who races in the main one.

The Ferrari Museum and racetrack near Bologna (2 hrs by trains from Florence) may be of interest for your kids. You can also test drive cars for about an hour.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 2
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/29/2023 6:19:09 AM   
musedir

Eric, both San Gimignano and Siena are terrific hill towns with many things to do (although the enoteca in Siena is good wine fun too). Another fun hilltown along the way from Rome to Florence is is the medieval town of Orvieto. Take the funicular from the bottom up to the town. Have a great time.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/29/2023 9:41:05 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

The Ferrari Museum and racetrack near Bologna (2 hrs by trains from Florence) may be of interest for your kids. You can also test drive cars for about an hour.

To heck with the kids! I want to do that!!!!!

Post #: 4
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/29/2023 12:37:29 PM   
DrBad

Florence is crazy in the summer, actually spring to fall. Siena will be as well. But your kids should love it.

Orvieto is a cute town and nearby Bagnoregio is a tiny hilltop town with a crazy bridge heading out to it. Worth a visit and I think kids will like it but you only need a few hours there. If you want lunch book something in advance.

Have an awesome time! One of my best trips of all time was a trip with my kids around the same age to Rome-Florence-Venice. The subtitle or our trip was "in search of the perfect gelato"

< Message edited by DrBad -- 11/29/2023 12:39:09 PM >

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 5
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/29/2023 12:59:24 PM   
hankj

Will you have a car?

Have you considered an agroturismo stay?

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 6
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/29/2023 3:13:57 PM   
DoubleD1969

I would stay in the historic center and let your kids explore at their own pace while you and your partner do your thing. Just remind the kids and yourself about pickpockets and their purse/backpacks being targets.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 7
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/29/2023 10:47:56 PM   
recotte

Thanks for the recommendations so far! We'll be there in mid-June, so we'll miss the Palio in Siena, but I've put the town on the research list.

Tom - I visited Orvieto many years ago. Great suggestion!

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

Will you have a car?

Have you considered an agroturismo stay?

We will not have a car for the entire trip, but renting one for a day or getting a driver is doable. An agroturismo would not be in the cards for this particular trip. We've already locked in our Airbnb's for both Rome and Florence (in Florence, we're just on the other side of the Ponte Vecchio from the city center, overlooking the Arno).

quote:

let your kids explore at their own pace while you and your partner do your thing

This will be the longest trip our little Brady Bunch has taken together. I think for the sanity of the adults, sending the kids out on their own is mandatory!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 8
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/30/2023 6:09:26 AM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte
We've already locked in our Airbnb's for both Rome and Florence (in Florence, we're just on the other side of the Ponte Vecchio from the city center, overlooking the Arno).

That's a great area in Florence. You're also just a 30 minute walk to Piazzale Michelangelo for great views of the city.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 9
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/30/2023 6:34:38 AM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

To heck with the kids! I want to do that!!!!!

Right?! Your family can always explore Bologna - a great place if you are fans of salumi and cheeses, ****, food in general. If you are a foodie, find and buy aged Balsamic vinegars to bring home. I find it very expensive in the US (think the layers of costs that gets added to the bottle). You can probably find some good ones in Rome and Florence, but Bologna will be closer to the source.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 10
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/30/2023 6:39:46 AM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrBad
The subtitle or our trip was "in search of the perfect gelato"

My favorite is Giolitti's in Rome, which is somewhere in the historic center but not next to any touristy spot. I've tried a bunch all over Italy (including Florence), but Giolitti's is still my gold standard. Just google "artisanal gelateria" in xxxxx. Part of the trick is to stay away from any areas where tourists congregate.

Until a few years ago, Grom, an Italian company, had a couple of locations in NYC. Sadly, it closed them.

< Message edited by DoubleD1969 -- 11/30/2023 6:41:40 AM >

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 11
RE: NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers - 11/30/2023 3:11:51 PM   
recotte

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrBad
The subtitle or our trip was "in search of the perfect gelato"

My favorite is Giolitti's in Rome, which is somewhere in the historic center but not next to any touristy spot. I've tried a bunch all over Italy (including Florence), but Giolitti's is still my gold standard. Just google "artisanal gelateria" in xxxxx. Part of the trick is to stay away from any areas where tourists congregate.

Until a few years ago, Grom, an Italian company, had a couple of locations in NYC. Sadly, it closed them.

Years ago, I was in Rome for an Italian friend's wedding. He tasked a friend of his to be our tour guide of non-touristy Rome, and he introduced us to Giolitti's. I went every single day.

When my girlfriend and I were in Florence 6 years ago (sans kids), we happened across La Strega Nocciola, which was amazing.

Dang... I think I need to go prep the ice cream maker. Stracciatella, or gianduja? Decisions, decisions....

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR: Tuscany with Teenagers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI