CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

It’s Christmas Eve!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> It’s Christmas Eve! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 5:47:41 AM   
Ibetian

So what are everyone’s eating and drinking plans for the next couple of days?

Our tradition is baked fillet mignon for tonight and turkey with all the trimmings tomorrow.

We’ll probably drink bubbles at some point, plus 2000 Margaux, 2000 Lynch Bages ( both will get 3+ hours in the decanter) with a 2009 Pichon Baron as “back up.”

Merry Christmas!

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit
Post #: 1
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 7:30:55 AM   
khmark7

Merry Fogmas from Chicago! Driving will be an adventure due to the fog (it's 25 degrees above average). Bringing a Vincent Pinot Noir to dinner tonight but it's a busy 2 weeks, so probably not much else until New Year's.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 2
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 7:50:14 AM   
Claymonster

We're going full German (Bavarian). Weihnachtsgans, kartoffelknodel, and blaukraut for dinner tonight with leftovers for the next several days. And to drink, a Rheingau J.B. Becker Wallufer Walkenberg Riesling Alte Reben Spatlese Trocken. Whew, I'm out of breath just typing the full German wine name.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 3
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 8:43:36 AM   
Eduardo787

We go to my in laws as every year for the last 25 years. We are 14 in total and we gather at around 5pm or so and start drinking either beer, tequila, or wine. Mother in law serves pork loin with some kind of cherry sauce , spaghetti with cheese, garlic bread, and salad. All of my extended family do not know or appreciate one good wine from a lambrusco or a cheap gamay, nevertheless I always bring a couple of wines that I know I will enjoy and I also bring my beloved wine glass because my in laws do not have nice wine glasses.

At around 10 or so we come back to the house and do whatever. Next day at around 1 pm we go back to the in laws to eat very hot pozole and leftovers. We play some games, give presents to your secret santa ( this year is my brother in law and I am giving him a premium bottle of reposado Tequila). After a few hours I am WAY to drunk and I always sleep in a couch they have over there for an hour or so....then we head back to home.

This year Santa is bringing my daughter a Mazda CX30, so tomorrow morning I have to go to a parking lot to pick up the SUV and bring it in the morning and put a cloth around the car . Santa will bring her a small box with the keys inside, so she will immediately will run outside to our garage and see the car there.
My son will get some cash so he can use it however he wants.

Still deciding what wine I wanna drink today. I might decide for the Armenian red and something else.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 4
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 9:26:12 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymonster

We're going full German (Bavarian). Weihnachtsgans, kartoffelknodel, and blaukraut for dinner tonight with leftovers for the next several days. And to drink, a Rheingau J.B. Becker Wallufer Walkenberg Riesling Alte Reben Spatlese Trocken. Whew, I'm out of breath just typing the full German wine name.

I think you're going to win the "Longest Christmas Wine Name" Contest!

Our larger family gathering is tonight, and there will be some bubbly with apps (my girlfriend's dad always brings the Champagne; not sure what it will be), then for dinner we're doing prime rib, and I've got a couple of bottles of 2012 Andrew Will Ciel du Cheval Vineyard (a Bordeaux blend) lined up, then crème brûlée for dessert, possibly with a Sauternes, but we'll see.

Tomorrow night will be lasagna, with a 2013 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia.

Yum, yum, and yum!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Claymonster)
Post #: 5
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 9:38:57 AM   
dad300

Tonight is prime rib. Very simple with potatoes and veggies. We will be opening 2018 Fidelitas Quintessence cab and a 2015 j j prum graacher Himmelreich Spatlese.
Tomorrow mimosas in the am then off to a dry dinner with inlaws of lasagna and cheese board.

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 6
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 10:48:11 AM   
wadcorp

Who's Eve, and why are you reminding her about Christmas.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 7
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 10:57:58 AM   
CranBurgundy

2015 Selbach Oster Spatlese & 2010 Le Moine Bourgogne - 2 of our "Under $40" favorites.

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Who's Eve, and why are you reminding her about Christmas.

Thread winner!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 8
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 10:59:07 AM   
BobMilton

Tonight is a small dinner with my wife's oldest daughter and her husband. Tomorrow morning is our usual family get together and breakfast. Tomorrow night is a larger extended family dinner. Then time to hibernate!

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 9
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 11:08:36 AM   
DoubleD1969

2023 Mucinex Rouge for me lol

Looks great everybody! Merry Christmas to all!

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 10
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 11:13:04 AM   
wadcorp

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 11
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 11:21:21 AM   
CranBurgundy

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 12
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 2:16:21 PM   
KPB

In Ottignies for the holiday… Due to various constraints we can’t assemble the family until Tuesday. So the plan here in Belgium was for a raclette tonight, boudin blanc and noir tomorrow, and a haunch of venison for our family dinner. My wife and I however decided to skip the heavy dose of cheese.

Instead, we retired to our hotel in Louvain La Neuve. Dinner was actually quite good: they had a fancy prix fix, but we opted instead to eat in our room where Anne had croquette de crevettes and a seafood salad, while i started with a mille feuille stuffed with foie gras and followed it with a blanquette de veaux. Anne wasn’t drinking, but I got a half bottle of a 2020 Lafleur Lambaret (a GC red Bordeaux).

So all in all, a very nice New Years eve with my wife. And many meals still to go, with some great wines to pair with them: 2018 Greer, 2014 Olga Raffault La Singulière, an excellent 2020 Chassange Montrachet from Philippe Colin, beyond which I have additional options as needed. Those include the 2019 Greer, but it was a bit tight last time I tried it and I have a note to myself to wait three years… and I have some Rayas stashed here too.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 13
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/24/2023 9:38:20 PM   
Paul852

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB
So all in all, a very nice New Years eve with my wife.

And I thought that I was in the timezone that comes first!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 14
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/25/2023 6:25:50 AM   
musedir

Last night’s dinner was duck with an orange and chocolate sauce. It wasn’t bad at all.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 15
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/25/2023 8:01:40 AM   
gruqqt@gmail.com

Speaking of Belgium and Christmas Eve and wine, last night I watched first episodes of Belgium TV series EEN GOED JAAR (A Good Year) which features bottles of 1937 Chateau Rycler found in the cellar of a WWII Resistance Fighter. His nephew uses them in an attempted scam which expands and adds accomplices (as well as not so innocent victims) in each entertaining episode. Of note, the owners of the still existent Chateau Rycler have a disclaimer on their website because the fictional scam involves Der Fuhrer's wine cellar.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 16
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/25/2023 10:17:21 AM   
S1

With family celebrations spread throughout the holidays, HRH and I are alone on Christmas Day for the first time ever.
So, with bellies aleady full of Turkey, ham etc...
Karb Rangoons
Oxtail Soup
Baoxi
Har Gow
Chicken Lo Mein

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 17
RE: It’s Christmas Eve! - 12/26/2023 11:13:36 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Our larger family gathering is tonight, and there will be some bubbly with apps (my girlfriend's dad always brings the Champagne; not sure what it will be), then for dinner we're doing prime rib, and I've got a couple of bottles of 2012 Andrew Will Ciel du Cheval Vineyard (a Bordeaux blend) lined up, then crème brûlée for dessert, possibly with a Sauternes, but we'll see.

Tomorrow night will be lasagna, with a 2013 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia.

Things that were excellent: bubbly, prime rib, Andrew Will, and lasagna.

Things that were not: corked Chianti. As I did not have a backup bottle on hand, we had more bubbles with the lasagna, and no one was unhappy.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> It’s Christmas Eve! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI