CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Loire Valley Tourism Ideas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Loire Valley Tourism Ideas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/27/2023 3:08:21 PM   
davidandrose

Mrs Davidandrose and I are making a spontaneous 3 day visit across the Loire Valley, mixing 3-4 days of castling and wine tasting before spending 2-3 days in Reims / Eperney (have visited Champagne region previously.). This is our first visit to Loire and is the only wine region in France we haven't visited at least once. While certainly familiar with Chenin blanc and big fans of Cab Franc I'd appreciate any advice or winery suggestions from community members with experience and/or favorites in the Region. Just starting to look at lodging and know we'll have limited options open during our trip the first week of January, but we're open and flexible. As the trip was driven by confirming upgrades in advance before they expire, have no option BUT flexibility!

Naturally we'll have a rental car and are more likley to spend 1-2 nights in each of 2-3 towns rather than basing ourselves in one location and returning to home base at night.

Thanks for your suggestions; I didn't find anything recent here so apologies in advance if I missed something. David
Post #: 1
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/27/2023 5:15:28 PM   
skifree

Domaine Huet, Domaine Beaudry, and Domaine des Baumards were my favorites that I visited back in 2017. They are quite far apart from each other, unfortunately. We stayed in a hotel up the road from downtown in Tours. It was a quick trip at the tale end of a week in Bordeaux.

I am sure others can chime in with more recent information.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to davidandrose)
Post #: 2
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/27/2023 6:16:44 PM   
DoubleD1969

I've never been to the region but I love Dagueneau wines although its the wines the father made years ago. Good luck planning and hope you can post your experiences. I'm curious if wineries are available in January especially shortly after the holidays.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 3
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/27/2023 8:43:15 PM   
jmcmchi

Definitely need to split your bases as planned…..the Loire is huge. Facing the same challenge, I gave up on the Sancerre end and chose Angers region and Bourgueil area as bases

Bourgueil/Chinon
Beaudry, de Fesles, Amirault

Angers/Saumur
All the Savennières places,
Bablut, Hureau, Cady

See my notes from 2022 for relatively current impressions

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 4
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/28/2023 7:18:40 AM   
davidandrose

Appreciate the early input from the three of you, thanks! Will definitely post comments afterwards

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 5
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/28/2023 8:52:44 AM   
Sourdough

We drove from Tours to Lyon several years ago and spent three days in the Loire. There is more to the west we skipped. Skipping Sancerre is a good idea. I would suggest focusing on the middle. We played it by ear and did not reserve tastings. I would suggest busing. Couple of the Chateaus along the Loire as a cultural experience. Enjoy! Lots of good wine!

Post #: 6
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/28/2023 9:28:45 AM   
musedir

sights: Château de Chambord; Château de Chenonceau; Château d’Amboise; Our Lady of Chartres Cathedral; Château of Clos Lucé in Amboise (Leonardo da Vinci's home and museum)

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 7
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/28/2023 11:48:18 AM   
KPB

In Chinon, I favor Olga Raffault and Marc Plouzeau. Nearby, I would love to taste through the Saumur offerings from Manoir de la Tête Rouge. I’ve had one of their white wines and it was really amazing.

For castle visits, include the Da Vinci workshop north of Tours (Amboise). Then I would maybe go with Chambord. But you have a lot of choices!

Tours has some excellent restaurants downtown.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 8
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/28/2023 11:54:27 AM   
jmcmchi

Another thought….beware of speed cameras in 25kph zones in the main tourist towns. The rental car companies charge an administrative fee to your card on file, even if the actual speeding ticket doesn’t get sent to the US

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 9
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/28/2023 2:50:09 PM   
Echinosum

If the megalithic interests you, then Saumur has one of the more spectacular monuments in France, the Dolmen de Bagneux. As well as yet another fairy tale castle.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 10
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/28/2023 5:39:26 PM   
hankj

I've put in some time touristing the Loire Valley on three recent Europe trips.

For towns I liked Saumur, Azay, Chinon, Blois and especially Amboise best. If my choice I'd base in lovely Amboise the whole time.

Chateaux Chambord, Chenonceau, and gardens at Villandry.

See the troglodyte caves at Saumur - fascinating.

Huey is a nice tasting room visit.

Travelled mostly by bike. A bike ride in the Loire is fantastic.

More later! I have a lot to share if you are interested.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 11
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 12/29/2023 6:35:50 AM   
davidandrose

Thanks for the reminder on this...We're picking up our vehicle in Nantes and returning at BRU airport. The one-way fees were bad enough, don't need to add tickets on top of it!

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 12
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 1/12/2024 6:30:29 PM   
davidandrose

Want to again thank everyone who contributed ideas and close the loop by sharing our trip and hot spots.

We flew in/out of LHR as that was where UA could confirm upgrades upon purchase. We began our return flight at Brussels with an overnight stay at LHR; making LHR a connection instead of originating our return saved $600+/pp based on UK's airport taxes and ticket cost for that routing.

After NYE in London we flew into Nantes, picked up a O/W rental car, and stayed in an old chateau 20 mins north for a restaurant we wanted to hit. The next day we toured Chenonceau and visited two small producers in Vouvray, Cave de Vouvray (enjoyable) and Cave des Producteurs de Vouvray, which is a higher volume operation buying fruit from a variety of growers as well as providing facilities to independent winemakers. Wine was okay and generally a time-filler at the end of the day. We spent two nights in Amboise staying at Ch. de Pray, a 13th century chateau just outside of town. The property had a nice balance of renovations without eliminating its old world charm, and a Michelin one-star restaurant half-housed in caves. We visited Ch. Chambord, Marc Bredif and Domaine Huet in Vouvray on subsequent days, and really enjoyed our tastings and at both properties. Thanks for these reco’s, with Aubert Family another solid local find.

Given how little white wine we have in our cellar and how much we enjoyed the Vouvrays we bucked the trend and spent almost two days in Sancerre, staying in the Old City. Famille Bourgeois was a great find and we really enjoyed our host who did some barrel samples and opened nearly a dozen bottles. This was the only winery that offered volume discounts and we “bit the hook” buying a mixed case of Pinots and Sauv Blancs. We visited and purchased from several other small, family wineries in/around Sancerre, but Philippe Raimbault was our other “ka-ching” find in the area. They produce Sancerre’s and Pouilly Fume’s and some pinots. We tasted through 10 wines with their 13th generation winemaker, and they have an amazing display of sea creature fossils they’ve found in their soil.

We then headed to Eperney, staying and sampling at Champagne Philippe Martin. While most major champagne houses were shuttered this was our 2nd visit to the area and really just a casual 1.5 days/2 nights and great dining as we headed towards Brussels. Cordon-Didierlaurent was our other great find, about 20 mins outside of Eperney. We spent two hours tasting, using google-translate when my rusty French didn't connect with their winemaker, who stood-in when his English-fluent brother had to cancel at the last minute. He also gave us a few airplane-safe 12 bottle shippers, allowing us to consolidate some of the 6 bottle shippers we had found earlier. In all we sherpa’d home 4.5 cases on “the Friendly Skies” and if it weren’t winter with heavy coats requiring that we bring a large bag that had to be checked, we’d have checked 6 cases, our free limit on United.

While it was a really slow time with some villages appearing to be shuttered and many wineries and some restaurants closed, we had little problem finding producers who were willing to meet with us. Almost every experience was very personal, personable and likely included more wines than we would have sampled in prime season, the few chateaux we toured we nearly had to ourselves, and the storied chateau hotels where we chose to say were insane values priced between $120-200/nt depending on the town. Truly appreciate contributions from the community. Now we just have to increase consumption as we’re well-out-of-space with another 8 1/2 cases awaiting pickup in Napa and Washington. And of course return during a future Spring or Fall to see more Chateaux when their gardens are blooming, and replenish whatever we drink!! My wife fell love with Sauv Blanc, a varietal she has traditionally disliked.

Post #: 13
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 1/12/2024 6:42:13 PM   
musedir

So glad y’all had a good time. Those crisp, mineral-laden wines are so damn drinkable and the landscape ain’t too bad either.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 14
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 1/13/2024 9:56:30 AM   
DoubleD1969

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Thanks for circling back.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 15
RE: Loire Valley Tourism Ideas - 1/13/2024 10:42:38 AM   
jmcmchi

Thanks for the report.

Also MANY thanks for the information about avoiding the UK luxury departure tax - I’ve been avoiding flying from/through LHR because of it

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Loire Valley Tourism Ideas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI