CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 12/30/2023 7:01:24 PM   
Wine Grove

I’m just saying.

A 2021 William Mary just made this epiphany quite clear. To me This was quite good and only got more amazing by day 3. Nothing worse than drinking a premium wine beyond its peak.

I am going to pull the corks on some 2012 and 2013 (Schrader, seavey , others) napa wines and I’m wondering if they would even stack up to this 2021 William Mary.
often I am disappointed with new world wines over 10 years old. That is the context of this post.

Don’t have this concern with the old world wines as much.
Post #: 1
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 12/31/2023 3:47:19 AM   
diphthong

Sounds like you like your wines relatively youthful. There are plenty of Napa (Cabernet) concerns that are rocking longer than a decade-old and a few from 1968/1969 that are still hitting the high notes. No judgement here. Some people only like to drink skeletons.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 2
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 12/31/2023 12:05:08 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: diphthong

Sounds like you like your wines relatively youthful. There are plenty of Napa (Cabernet) concerns that are rocking longer than a decade-old and a few from 1968/1969 that are still hitting the high notes. No judgement here. Some people only like to drink skeletons.

We drank an unbelieveable '69 BV at the Charleston Offlineorama, but modern-style Napa wines are not built that way. Many rock star Napa winemakers have told me, "8-10 at the most."

@WG--'12 Schraders ain't getting any better IMO. I'm plowing theough mine.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to diphthong)
Post #: 3
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 12/31/2023 12:10:50 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I buy almost entirely new release wines and often like to open one if it's new to me, new producer especially, so I do a lot of "first looks". Tells me a lot about the wine/producer if they are unfamiliar to me. Some are for sure infanticide, but I do it in the name of science.

I also like to age 10+ years wines that I think "need" it, Big Cabs, Nebbiolo, BdM, Oregon Pinots. Not so much on Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, as they seem to drink fine early or later for my palate. I have particularly seen some of my WA Syrah go downhill quickly after 8-10 years, and I want to drink and enjoy it.

I looked at my CT Cellar just now, current age is average 2016.4, so a good balance of new and age, I think and more entering the 8+ year range than under. This would be an interesting stat to track over time, because I am sure my cellar age was somewhere 3-4 years, maybe less, past vintage when I started tracking with CT in 2009. Lots has changed in the past 14 years, one benefit of buying and growing/making way too much wine is that it's now gotten old on me.

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 12/31/2023 12:12:15 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to diphthong)
Post #: 4
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 12/31/2023 12:46:52 PM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Grove
I’m just saying.

A 2021 William Mary just made this epiphany quite clear. To me This was quite good and only got more amazing by day 3. Nothing worse than drinking a premium wine beyond its peak.

I am going to pull the corks on some 2012 and 2013 (Schrader, seavey , others) napa wines and I’m wondering if they would even stack up to this 2021 William Mary.
often I am disappointed with new world wines over 10 years old. That is the context of this post.

If you like them that young, you should somehow put them in a lineup with something like The Prisoner or similar. You may save yourself $$$ long term. 😬

I had a couple of Seaveys this year - 2011 - 2013. One was rocking while the other was served too warm and competed with a 1991 Diamond Creek VH.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 5
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 12/31/2023 5:50:58 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles)

I’m just saying.

Soft tannins are what I want, so I'm exactly the opposite. We just drank a couple 2002 Lokoyas a few weeks ago and they were stellar.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 6
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 1/1/2024 8:26:54 AM   
oskiwawa

It depends ……. This week really pointed that out. Last night we had three wines. 2008 Dom - delicious but will certainly be better in 5+ years. 1990 Dunn Howell Mountain - in a perfect place right now. It would have been a waste to drink this at a young age. 2005 Geantet-Pansiot Gevrey-Chambertin en Champs - Also in a nice spot. This has at least 15 more years left in it. On the other side, this week we have several 2013 Littorai Pinots. All of these would have been better a few years ago.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 7
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 1/1/2024 1:22:51 PM   
KPB

Depends a great deal on the wine: I find it hard to generalize across very different styles of wine, varietals and regions. But with some exceptions I agree with the thread title.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 8
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 1/2/2024 10:09:43 AM   
WineGuyCO

Like others have said…Depends on the wine. I can’t imagine drinking a 2021 Philip Togni, Dunn Howell Mountain or Tignanello. The over ripe CA fruit bombs…No problem. They are ready to go before they’re bottled

< Message edited by WineGuyCO -- 1/2/2024 10:11:10 AM >

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 9
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 2/2/2024 5:10:09 PM   
oskiwawa

Tonight re-enforced my it depends comment, Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and broccoli for dinner. Opened a 1999 Lynch Bages. Last bottle of a case purchased EP. All I can say is that I wish this was the 4th bottle opened and not the last. Wonderful wine that has many many years left. I drank too many of these too early.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 10
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 2/2/2024 6:13:04 PM   
KPB

I agree. This particular style of young wine is often very awkward on pulling the cork, but with Napa Cabernet somehow they transform overnight and are fantastic on day two and three. Better, in fact, than at age 15.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 11
RE: Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) - 2/3/2024 9:05:34 AM   
River Rat

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

quote:

I’m just saying.

If you like them that young, you should somehow put them in a lineup with something like The Prisoner or similar. You may save yourself $$$ long term. 😬

I had a couple of Seaveys this year - 2011 - 2013. One was rocking while the other was served too warm and competed with a 1991 Diamond Creek VH.

Comparing a William and Mary to a Prisoner is a jailable offense.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Infanticide is better than senicide (of wine bottles) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI