CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Is Montrose a must wine ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Is Montrose a must wine ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 12:06:57 PM   
Eduardo787

I want to buy myself my bday wine and I was looking into Montrose, a wine that I have never had. Reading tasting notes and even some critic saying that is a "De facto first growth" I was wondering if I should buy a few for my cellar. Of course I will not drink them soon and they will be cellared until I have gained some more pounds and my hair turns whiter...but, I have never had a Montrose and it seems it is a great wine. I was looking at the 2020 vintage at around $200 a bottle, maybe buy 3 and cellar them. Is is a hidden gem ( well, not hidden but undervalued) ?

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 1:05:36 PM   
davo22

Personally I tend to avoid a lot of the first wines when the Chateau produces a very good value second wine. This is one of those cases. I’ve cellared and consumed several vintages of La Dame de Montrose, and they’ve all been really solid value for St. Estephe. I’m not sure I could justify the 4X step up in price to the first wine for any incremental value I might get when I could buy 4 of a perfectly good second wine for the same wallet outlay. The thing about Bordeaux is the misguided focus on 100+ wines when there is a lot of amazing drinking (and better value) to be found in the other 10,000+.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 1:11:15 PM   
jmcmchi

Back in the day, it was our special occasion wine - it or Latour. Definitely preferred it over Cos

But that was many years ago, so with winemaking progress and price increases, I have no idea how it compares today, (nor any intention of trying)

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 1:26:16 PM   
KPB

Until 1989 and 1990, I always purchased Montrose. But then in those vintages they went to a more modern, "big" style -- almost Napa, but Montrose also had a very powerful oak side, really smoky, tobacco, intense caramel. I owned both but found them to be too much. People tell me that if I had just waited on those bottles until now -- so I should have held them 35 years, basically -- they would amaze me. Maybe, maybe not. You can find both and find out.

But I do continue to find some Bordeaux reds very appealing and interesting; I've stopped buying Montrose, but I have not abandoned Bordeaux. I did add a lot from other regions (Rhone, especially, and Rhone varietals from Spain and elsewhere... some Italian wines, notably from Brunello di Montelcino... some pinot noir). In Bordeaux, I have a few bottles of Cheval Blanc (the 2005 is insanely good), a few Margaux, some Lynch-Bages, some Figeac, some La Conseillant. A few Latour a Pomerol. But no Montrose.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 4
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 1:41:36 PM   
WineGuyCO

I don’t think there is any must have Bordeaux anymore because of their Modern style. Back in 89-90 yes. Same with Angelus and several others. I find these modern wines have lost most of their sense of place. My opinion of course.

I think your 15 Pontet Canet will be just as good as Montrose. Try them side by side and only you can decide if it’s worth the extra $100. To me it wouldn’t be. I think at this point buying the 2nd Growth Bordeaux names is more of a s prestige thing than actually getting any value for money spent. I just can’t see spending $200 plus for a bottle of Bordeaux when there are so many good ones for $80-$125. B-21 has the 16 Malescot St Exupery for $69.88. Pretty solid 93-94 point wine.

< Message edited by WineGuyCO -- 1/3/2024 1:42:06 PM >

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 5
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 2:32:42 PM   
KPB

Pontet Canet and Montrose have had a similar ranking for a long time (since 1982), but the styles differ. Pontet Canet is more like a good Napa Cabernet and won’t overwhelm with cigar ash the way Montrose can.

Ken Birman

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 3:48:07 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Pontet Canet and Montrose have had a similar ranking for a long time (since 1982), but the styles differ. Pontet Canet is more like a good Napa Cabernet and won’t overwhelm with cigar ash the way Montrose can.

The other thing I should have said is if there is some nuance in a particular wine then it might be worth it for you to pay up. I particular love the super floral, lavender notes in the 14 Brane Cantenac so if it was more expensive I might still buy it.

Bordeaux buyers have their ‘“Go To” wines most vintages. As far as LB I usually buy Leoville Barton & Poyferre & Domaine de Chevalier. If people love Ducru, Cos etc. then it’s worth it for them to pay up. Everyone’s mileage will vary.

< Message edited by WineGuyCO -- 1/3/2024 3:49:32 PM >

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 4:08:50 PM   
skifree

Eduardo, I am not sure it is a hidden gem but it is a often a spectacular wine. I bought a case of 2009 at $170 per en primeur, and it was one of my best purchases ever. I also have 2001, 2005, 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016 in my cellar.

Here are my tasting notes for the 2009, which I pass along as it was a very warm year like 2020.

7/16/2022 - I WROTE: (Edit)95 Points
Another excellent bottle, just starting to move into secondary flavors. Came across as very well integrated and smooth, almost sensuous. Decanted before serving.

4 people found this helpful / Comment (6,509 views)

Options
12/26/2021 - I WROTE: (Edit)95 Points
Opened to enjoy with Christmas prime rib, had a glass left in the decanter for the next day. Brought up from the cellar in the morning, and decanted several hours before the first sip. The quality of the fruit stood out on the first day, agree it was a bit Napa-like in that respect. Tannins well balanced. On the second day, there was more cedar and herb especially on the finish, so think it became true to style. Fantastic again.

2 people found this helpful / Comment (6,473 views)

Options
10/7/2018 - I WROTE: (Edit)97 Points
This drank beautifully, first from a case bought EP. The elegance stood out from the first sip, with "fruit rouge" and lots of cedar. I was surprised at how delicate this was, with some mineral and tobacco coaxed out the second night. Decanted after opening, and let warm up a bit before the first glass (cellar at 56F right now).

2 people found this helpful / Comment (7,637 views)

Have fun picking some great wine for your bday!

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 8
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 4:28:39 PM   
Eduardo787

Thanks all for your input. I really want to splurge myself and buy a wine that might be worth cellaring and trying it in the future knowing it would blow me away. My style you all know but for Bdx I tend to like the 2018 and so far one that impressed me a lot was the Leoville Poyferre that I found very much of my style. I am not longer on a crazy buying spree and prefer to buy less but of better quality. Said that, I would like to have a first wine rather than the 2nd even if its double the price for maybe 2 or 3 points more. I currently own a lot of 2nd wines like Gravette De Certan, Duo De Conseillante, Le petit Figeac, amongst others and I love them, but I want to buy lets say 2 or 3 bottles of something really special for a bday 10 years from now and I want a recent vintage like 2018 to 2020. I dont want more Pavie as I already have a lot, but something in that corner. As much as I try to understand palates that like delicate and very ethereal wines I am still on the bandwagon of hedonistic styles. The only thing that I just dont like is high acid, I really prefer what most call flaby or even fat.

I am tired of seeing all critics scoring everything on the 96-100 points, so any help coming from you is very much welcomed.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 9
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 5:18:27 PM   
grafstrb

Montrose is awesome.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 10
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 5:40:11 PM   
DoubleD1969

Not sure if it is a must wine, but if you are set on Montrose, I would get something older like 2005 if you want to understand what all the hype is all about. Great Bordeaux needs time, and the 2005 (lots of stock at $200 according to wine-searcher) will be at peak when you are ready to celebrate. CT notes have it highly rated.

My preference is the Lynch Bages which is slightly above your budget.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 11
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 5:44:52 PM   
khmark7

If I had to splurge on a 2nd growth these days it would be Pichon Baron....always a favorite of mine in tastings and I've had some amazing older vintages from the 90's. I have a few bottles of Montrose but have yet to open any.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 12
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 6:50:13 PM   
WineGuyCO

Eduardo…DoubleD is right…Good Bordeaux needs time. Why not buy 2015 or 2016 that will be ready to drink sooner? All of the most recent great vintages like 09 & 10 are pretty pricey.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 13
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 7:30:29 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Eduardo…DoubleD is right…Good Bordeaux needs time. Why not buy 2015 or 2016 that will be ready to drink sooner? All of the most recent great vintages like 09 & 10 are pretty pricey.

As stated in the original post, the wine or wines I intend to buy are not for immediate consumption. I plan to open them in 10 years or so. I want to buy wines for future bdays, not this one. The wines I plan to open this bday are still being considered but I already know I am opening a 2005 Torbreck RunRig. I need to decide on the other 3 wines as I am planning a dinner with 5 friends at the best restaurant in Monterrey . I am bringing the wines, they are paying the food

Wines that are being considered for that dinner are : Ch.Pavie 2008, TOR Beckstoffer Aniv. cuvee 2010, Melka Metisse 2010, Trotanoy 2006, AALTOS PS 2005, Continuum 2012 cab sauv, and Petrolo Galatrona 2011. We are not concerned that we serve a Bdx and then a super Tuscan and then a Napa cab, etc. The Torbreck is already decided though.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 14
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 7:39:02 PM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

+2 on DoubleD and WineGuyCO.

Eduardo, if you get hold of a 2005 and like it as an aged wine, you'll rest easier that the latest release you buy for your cellar will be more to your liking when your hair is whiter and your weight is changed (I'm sure it will be lower). Buying aged wine has a little more risk, to be sure, so you may need to buy two or even three 2005s to get a fix on it. You'll know when the 2005 (or whatever vintage you choose) has aged well and then you can gauge if that's a wine you want to invest in.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 15
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/3/2024 11:49:36 PM   
diphthong

The 1990 Montrose still needs another 20 years! Currently drinking exactly as it was upon release. Massive, tannic beast (and I love tannic wines). Woof! 9.5/9.6.

< Message edited by diphthong -- 1/3/2024 11:50:45 PM >

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 16
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/4/2024 2:45:37 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: diphthong
The 1990 Montrose still needs another 20 years! Currently drinking exactly as it was upon release. Massive, tannic beast (and I love tannic wines). Woof! 9.5/9.6.

Not ready at 33. You are impressed, but for me it is the opposite. A wine you have to wait 50 years for, to me that's the kind of thing that gives fine wine a bad name. Who can buy a wine at release intending to drink it 50 years later? Sounds like wine for buying and selling, not wine for drinking.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to diphthong)
Post #: 17
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/4/2024 3:50:30 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787
... at the best restaurant in Monterrey...

BBC recently showed a 6-part series of TV programmes looking at food in various parts of Mexico, presented by Eva Longoria. It is called Searching for Mexico. You can find it on various international platforms. Typically in an episode, she would focus on one city and its surrounding area, and visit a gourmet restaurant, a traditional family restaurant, street food sellers, and producers of typical local specialities.

One of these programmes focused on Monterrey, and the fine dining restaurant she visited was Koli Cocina de Orígen. It had the most original and interesting food I saw in the whole series. I wondered if you knew that restaurant and had an opinion on it.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 18
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/4/2024 7:10:56 AM   
DoubleD1969

I would imagine that a 2005 Montrose (or most great Bordeaux producers) will be drinking exceptionally well ten years from now. Anything from 2013 or younger, you will probably disappointed unless that vintage is very hot and dry.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 19
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/4/2024 8:41:41 AM   
hankj

I think Montrose leans to a particular style that if you like then it is a great wine: If not, it's still a very good wine.

quote:

But then in those vintages they went to a more modern, "big" style -- almost Napa, but Montrose also had a very powerful oak side, really smoky, tobacco, intense caramel

While I don't think Montrose is anything like typical Big Napa, I do agree that it's built to feature barrel character. It's not a heav- bodied wine, and nothing in it is particularly overdone. It's not a bash you over the head mouth full of splinters wine. But I will say that it so wine where the primary aspects, fruit etc, are there to serve as a substrate to secondary characteristics, as listed above and more. The primary aspects are not low quality, brother, very good, just second fiddle to the barrel.

The people I see who strongly favor Montrose also seem to be fans of cigars and scotch. Which again is not to say that Montrose is huge are overpowering, but rather that it leans (leans, is not exclusively) toward a set of non-grape derived flavors.

That's based on trying four or five vintages anyway, mostly post '90s.

< Message edited by hankj -- 1/4/2024 8:44:17 AM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 20
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/4/2024 9:25:49 AM   
BRR

Eduardo, in my opinion, I'd buy three bottles of Montrose: one 2005 and two of the current vintage you're referring to. Why not? You'd still have two to lay down for a future birthday, but one that you could open to experience now. I don't understand the insistence of buying three ONLY to lay down.

Also...I might start another thread about the constant, "....too much like a Napa Cab..." or so-called modern Bordeaux complaining that some do. No disrespect, WineGuyinCo or KPB...you're both experienced tasters and I respect your opinions...just might be good discussion.

Cheers!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 21
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/4/2024 9:44:27 AM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787
... at the best restaurant in Monterrey...

BBC recently showed a 6-part series of TV programmes looking at food in various parts of Mexico, presented by Eva Longoria. It is called Searching for Mexico. You can find it on various international platforms. Typically in an episode, she would focus on one city and its surrounding area, and visit a gourmet restaurant, a traditional family restaurant, street food sellers, and producers of typical local specialities.

One of these programmes focused on Monterrey, and the fine dining restaurant she visited was Koli Cocina de Orígen. It had the most original and interesting food I saw in the whole series. I wondered if you knew that restaurant and had an opinion on it.

Koli I have not been there. Pangea is on the list of best 50 restaurants in Latin America at the 15th spot. I LOVE the place , way better than many restaurants I have visited in the world.

https://www.theworlds50best.com/latinamerica/en/the-list/11-20/pangea.html

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 22
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/4/2024 9:51:56 AM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: diphthong

Not ready at 33. You are impressed, but for me it is the opposite. A wine you have to wait 50 years for, to me that's the kind of thing that gives fine wine a bad name. Who can buy a wine at release intending to drink it 50 years later? Sounds like wine for buying and selling, not wine for drinking.

x2 !!!! I like to wait some years, lets say 10 to 20, and I draw the line there or maybe 25, but not for todays purchase. I will be 54 and I want to think that my prime years of enjoying friends, family, and travel will be in starting in maybe 5 to 10 years from today. If our palates go downhill in our senior years I do want to taste the wines before I am in my 80s. No disrespect, but at almost 54 I cant do things that I used to do 10 years ago and I would like to think that at 75 you cannot do things the same as when you were 50. Many of my wines are going to be passed on to my son and daughter, but today they dont care at all.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 23
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/4/2024 10:43:04 AM   
thesternowl

IMO, Montrose is a fairly distinctive, masculine wine. This is a compliment. And, as KBP mentioned earlier, it's full of "cigar ash", earth and minerals...pretty much every vintage. It also needs decades in the cellar...and now that I think of it, I'm unsure that I've ever had a Montrose that I would describe as mature, including the 1970 vintage I enjoyed last year alongside the 2000.

< Message edited by thesternowl -- 1/4/2024 2:46:17 PM >

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 24
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/4/2024 1:03:35 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

Eduardo, in my opinion, I'd buy three bottles of Montrose: one 2005 and two of the current vintage you're referring to. Why not? You'd still have two to lay down for a future birthday, but one that you could open to experience now. I don't understand the insistence of buying three ONLY to lay down.

Also...I might start another thread about the constant, "....too much like a Napa Cab..." or so-called modern Bordeaux complaining that some do. No disrespect, WineGuyinCo or KPB...you're both experienced tasters and I respect your opinions...just might be good discussion.

BRR…When I talk about Modern Bordeaux I don’t think they are like Napa Cabs at all. I can always tell a BDX from a CA Cab. I might be fooled once in a while.

I think the new BDX is less earthy and has less sense of place and not as much character compared to older vintages. Far far less barnyard. A lot of them all taste the same to me. BTW…The 89 & 90 Montrose were two of the best wines I’ve ever had along with 89 & 90 Angelus. I had full cases of all four and drank them over many years.

< Message edited by WineGuyCO -- 1/4/2024 1:34:08 PM >

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 25
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/6/2024 2:38:55 AM   
diphthong

Yes and no. Re: the 1990 Montrose...Impressed by the absolute, unmitigated power and purpose of focus. Unimpressed by the refusal to fold into the usual, drinkable timetable/queue.

Wine is a living thing. A vast, vast majority fits into neat little boxes. There are an unimpeded few that don't. The 1990 Montrose is one of those unimpeded few. Engage or avoid at your leisure or pleasure.

< Message edited by diphthong -- 1/6/2024 2:57:13 AM >

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 26
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/6/2024 5:45:45 AM   
KPB

I’m thinking about what to pair with Montrose 90…. Texas-style BBQ? Pasta with a wild boar ragu? Not a wine for a subtle dish.

< Message edited by KPB -- 1/6/2024 5:46:37 AM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to diphthong)
Post #: 27
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/6/2024 2:12:31 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

I’m thinking about what to pair with Montrose 90…. Texas-style BBQ? Pasta with a wild boar ragu? Not a wine for a subtle dish.

I had a dish last night that would be awesome with it: bratwurst, with lentils and cauliflower. I like the wild boar ragu idea. Aside from that, I'd go with a simple steak preparation.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 28
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/6/2024 6:17:10 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

Don’t overthink this. I’d go NY Steak, Filet Mignon, Ribeye Steak, Rack of Lamb or Lamb Chops. For sure a hearty meat or steak. BBQ sauce with this would be horrible IMO. The pasta with a meat Ragù is better. A green peppercorn sauce for the steaks & Bernaise for the Filet. Now we’re talking.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 29
RE: Is Montrose a must wine ? - 1/6/2024 7:00:47 PM   
DoubleD1969

I love pairing Bordeaux with lamb.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Is Montrose a must wine ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI