CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Help me to organize my new cellar.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Help me to organize my new cellar. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help me to organize my new cellar. - 1/19/2024 3:27:27 PM   
Eduardo787

Right to the point. Finished the redo of my cellar. As some of you might already know, my cellar is actually a coat room and I just made the capacity grow 2.5x by moving a wall 1.5 meters thus reducing the size of the adjacent room. And by moving that 1.5 meters I can now access a wall that was not accesible for cellaring wine because it was very narrow to put wines on both sides.

Right now I am in the process of putting all wine inside the cellar again and organize the wines, something I havent done in ages because there was simply no space and the cellar looked similar to many average garages where little by little it becomes almost uncleanable and unorganized.

So, I have to decipher what to do and what wines go where. By physics, all the most valuable wines I always put them in the ground or closer to the ground and the least expensive ones go higher. Up to today I had 1 fridge with a capacity of aprox 100 or 110 bottles and it will be joined by 2 other fridges of 42 bottle capacity. This 2 new fridges are not the Home Depot or Costco cheap-o kind, these new ones are of an Australian company and are extremely well built, something similar to a Viking or Sub zero. This fridges go in the adjacent room that recieves lets say 50% of the air conditioning that the cellar recieves and it does it because the room has a pasive gril and the air from the cellar passes pasively from one room to the other although the biggest benefactor of the air conditioning is the cellar.

My question is where to put what ? I have Sassicaias, Trotanoys, VCC, and quite a few other gems that are not going to be consumed for 10 or more years. SHould I put those wines in boxes in the stryrofoam containers they are shipped with or are they better protected in a fridge if the power goes out ? Same bottle, one in the fridge and another one in the styrofoam box, which one would have the least temperature variation ? I have witnessed that when power goes out in the middle of the summer the cellar can go from 57f to 75f in a matter of 2 hours, but thats air temperature not the wine and even less wine that is protected thermally by the styrofoam. I do not have an idea what happens in the fridge, if temps move quicker or slower than inside the boxes.

Yes, the best wines are in the bottom boxes and bottom shelves of the fridges and I have seen a LOT of temp diference at floor level than 4 feet above, sometimes even 3f or more.

Sorry about the long post,I just want to make myself clear and I will start doing this on Sunday, so I would appreciate the input. Remember , where I live is not Dublin, here we have Phoenix like temperatures and when power goes out I am scared as hell. And yes, I am already looking into the power generator, but it is WAY more complicated here than in the US to install one because of different factors.

SO....????

Edits because of gramatical errors and I know there are more, but heck I try my best

< Message edited by Eduardo787 -- 1/19/2024 3:29:50 PM >

I canĀ“t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Help me to organize my new cellar. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI