CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

2010 Jaboulet La Maison Bleue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> 2010 Jaboulet La Maison Bleue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2010 Jaboulet La Maison Bleue - 1/25/2024 12:52:59 PM   
Jenise

CT's data base begins at 2015 for this wine, but I own half a dozen 2010's which for years I've had misfiled as La Petite Chapelles, which I also own. Discovering the discrepency this morning I tried to add the 2010 vintage. It seemed to 'take', but the new vintage isn't immediately available for me to add inventory to as things usually go. So I tried again, didn't happen, then added it a third time, same result. Whassup?
Post #: 1
RE: 2010 Jaboulet La Maison Bleue - 1/25/2024 12:57:04 PM   
andrew

It is one of those cases where the same wine existed under two different names. I forget what the regional breakdown was. Before it settled on Maison Blue, we had to pick one version for the older wines and used LPC.

eta - it might also be that later released bottles were released at MB and original release as LPC. I forget now.

< Message edited by andrew -- 1/25/2024 12:59:02 PM >

Andrew Hall

CellarTracker Editorial & Support Services

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 2
RE: 2010 Jaboulet La Maison Bleue - 1/25/2024 1:01:57 PM   
Jenise

Thanks; thought it might be something like that.

(in reply to andrew)
Post #: 3
RE: 2010 Jaboulet La Maison Bleue - 1/25/2024 1:15:33 PM   
Jenise

Here's the backstory (by Garagiste):

Circa 2001-2003, Jaboulet made the decision to cull a percentage from Hermitage La Chapelle to reinforce the rarity and quality of La Chapelle itself. The result of that culling was La Petit Chapelle and it continued to get better and better over the years as Jaboulet culled more and more from La Chapelle (this is not your average “second wine” – it’s made from the same pool of parcels and stock as La Chapelle – think of it in the same vein as Chapelle d’Ausone - i.e. hardly any of us would turn down the chance to taste it).

Now comes the fun part...

Somewhere along the way, Jaboulet turned La Petit Chapelle into “La Maison Bleue” but it was the exact same wine. Their US conduit, spurred by new vintage stock with the “La Maison Bleue” name, made the decision that any past stock of La Petit Chapelle to enter the US market should be labeled with the “new” name of La Maison Bleue.

Confusion ensued (just like your confusion reading this), stock was traded though and bygones were left to be bygones...

That is, except for a small parcel of 2010 La Petit Chapelle that was never picked up but already re-labeled as “La Maison Bleue”.

Josh Raynolds (Vinous): “$145; Opaque ruby. Heady aromas of black and blue fruits, Indian spices and candied flowers. Stains the palate with intense cassis and blueberry flavors, picking suave floral and spice nuances with air. Shows excellent clarity and energy on the finish, which features smoothly integrated tannins and a seductive floral quality. 93pts”

Parker: “($145); The 2010 Hermitage La Petite Chapelle is a better wine than nearly every Hermitage La Chapelle made under the final years of the Jaboulet family’s ownership (for example, 1993-2005). The 2010 was aged in barrel and represents one-third of the Hermitage crop (another one-third was eliminated and the final one-third went into La Chapelle). Its deep purple color is followed by notes of camphor, tar, pepper, beef blood, black currant jam and hints of new saddle leather as well as earth. This supple, rich, full, authoritative beauty should drink well for 15-20 years. 2012 – 2032. 92pts”

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 4
RE: 2010 Jaboulet La Maison Bleue - 1/25/2024 1:29:24 PM   
andrew

Brilliant! Thank you. I am glad to see my mind isn't totally shot on these details.

Andrew Hall

CellarTracker Editorial & Support Services

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> 2010 Jaboulet La Maison Bleue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI