CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…what wines?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…what wines? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…what wi... - 2/7/2024 11:48:41 AM   
BRR

I so thoroughly enjoyed a bottle of 2019 Two Vintners Oliver (a roughly $25 blend of 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, 5% each Petite Sirah and Cinsault) that I started thinking of a tasting theme. I also thought of another wine I’d have to add: Kevin White Winery Blue Label (current vintage is $22 and got a shout-out from Sean Sullivan recently). So, in a tasting of high-QPR Rhône blends from Washington, what would you add? I think Betz does a declassified blend which is likely killer. What else?

Cheers!
Post #: 1
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/7/2024 1:01:39 PM   
mqvn

Rotie Cellars VdP?

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 2
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/7/2024 1:12:13 PM   
DrBad

Rasa's Founder's Reserve releases have got to be some of the best value there is, $20 and under depending on how much you purchase for a wine that I think most people agree drinks at twice the price. I think I got the II for around $12/btl by purchasing 3 cases. Not necessarily a Rhone blend as I think it varies every year, kind of a kitchen sink.

Sleight of Hand Conjuror is always a solid Bordeaux blend and at $20/btl case price is a steal.

Rotie VDP is a nice every day drinker at $20/btl by the case but I think is only available to club members.

I haven't bought it in a few years but Gorman The Devil You Know and The Devil You Don't Know are really nice Rhone blends at around $20.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 3
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/7/2024 1:39:02 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

Not necessarily a Rhone blend as I think it varies every year, kind of a kitchen sink.

I purchased a case of the Rasa Founders Blend (2018) vintage. I've only had one bottle and while it wasn't bad, it was completely unfocused. Maybe I don't like Cabernet / Syrah blends. I like all of the grapes used in the blend, but blended together, it just doesn't work for me. It's not like a Bordeaux blend where the grapes are all complimentary, or even a Super Tuscan. It's like a competition of different grapes and none of them get along.

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 4
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/7/2024 2:06:05 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Betz Besoleil -?? The declassified blend is The Untold Story, but I think it has Bordeaux reds in it also.
Bunnel Alx -??
Cairdeas Diffraction (blend changes) -$20
Cairdeas higher end blends Tri, Caisen de Papa (both Boushey) -$35-40
Force Majuere Parabellum Coulee - $40
Force Majeure VI from the collaboration days.
* Gramercy Lower East -$30?
Latta "Latta Latta" - $30
Maison Bleue - used to be Jaja, then something else, not sure if they still make a rhone blend.
* Owen Roe Sinister Hand - $20
Rasa QED -$40?
Rotie VDP, Homage, Swordfight $30-50
Rotie Southern Red - $35
* Syncline - Subduction Red and Cuvee Elena
WT Vintners Boushey blend - $25

Most of the above, except those marked with a *, are in my current cellar. So happy to share if any of particular interest.

ETA: I looked up the Betz sales pitch on Full Pull... 2018 Betz Family Winery Untold Story - $34.99 (TPU $24.99)
The blend here is 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Syrah, and 10% Merlot, aged for nineteen months in French oak barriques, ...

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 2/7/2024 2:43:45 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 5
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/7/2024 4:21:03 PM   
jmcmchi

Adding on to the Kevin White theme, his Fraternité and Paysanne are both blends a step or two up from the Blue Label (which really sings in ‘22)

+1 on Latta Latta

CSM’s Austral is pretty good and occasionally available ata good discount

A couple of small production local offerings don’t make it into distribution

< Message edited by jmcmchi -- 2/7/2024 4:22:39 PM >

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 6
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/8/2024 9:25:14 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: mqvn

Rotie Cellars VdP?

That's a great idea. Good call.

Cheers!

(in reply to mqvn)
Post #: 7
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/8/2024 9:29:16 AM   
BRR

Good stuff, DrBrad, CiS, Blue Shorts, and jmcmchi. I was loosely thinking of sub-$30 wines and sticking to the more traditional Rhone blends, so a few of those wines, while great, wouldn't "count" for what I'm thinking about.

I was all about Maison Bleue because I've had many of their wines and they were always good, but I don't see anything sub-$70 on their site right now. Syncline is a great idea too...all of their wines are usually pretty inexpensive.

Cheers!

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 8
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/8/2024 10:11:10 PM   
BenG

We joined Rotie a couple of months ago. A friend had given us a bottle of VdP after raving about their wines. At first it was quite volatile but after an hour or two, wow, what a wine. I became a Rocks convert overnight and we arranged to go there a couple of weeks later and came back with 21 bottles. We also really liked the Northern Blend.

I was inspired to open another bottle (VdP) tonight .... still got it!

< Message edited by BenG -- 2/8/2024 10:14:00 PM >

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 9
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/9/2024 10:05:04 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG

We joined Rotie a couple of months ago. A friend had given us a bottle of VdP after raving about their wines. At first it was quite volatile but after an hour or two, wow, what a wine. I became a Rocks convert overnight and we arranged to go there a couple of weeks later and came back with 21 bottles. We also really liked the Northern Blend.

I was inspired to open another bottle (VdP) tonight .... still got it!

Cool, we are long time Rotiesians and enjoy their release parties. Both Walla Walla and SoDo. Not sure what they have planned for spring, 2024 but their crawfish boil and oyster parties have been favorites.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 10
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/16/2024 11:54:09 AM   
atlantean

Was in Chelan last summer visiting family and we stopped into Sigillo. Just tried the one vintage of GSM, and it was bright and crisp with red fruit. Not quite under $30. Fruit is columbia valley. Noticed that many of the Chelan wineries are now contracting fruit from columbia and red mountain.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 11
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/16/2024 1:16:20 PM   
Jenise

BRR (btw, lots of 'BRR' license plates in my area (Bellingham) these days and I think of you every time I'm behind one),

For QPR, II Vintners is one of the best there is in the under $30 Rhone Ringer category, maybe even THE best. I agree about Kevin White, too. Woodward Canyon does a good GSM but it probably isn't under $30. In fact, I can't really think of others that work within your price limitation.

Someone mentioned Betz. The Besoleil (60% grenache, 20% mourvedre + two others) aims at CdP but at $52 it's a pass. Drinks like a $30 wine, and if I can buy a Ray Usseglio CdP at Costco for $35--no contest.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 12
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/16/2024 3:09:06 PM   
mqvn

Gramercy Lower East line now has a wine called Bowery that retails for $25. The 2019 edition is 67% syrah, 14% mourvedre, and then carignan and a splash of grenache...

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 13
RE: Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…wha... - 2/16/2024 3:30:55 PM   
Jenise

Just thought of another, and it's as worthy as they get: Tranche, owned by Corliss. May not be under $30 but I last I knew anyway, not over $40.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Battle of WA State Rhône blends, QPR edition…what wines? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI