CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you have experience?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you have experience? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you have ... - 2/16/2024 8:02:10 AM   
#winewithryan

My wife and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in July 2024 and are thinking about heading over to the Okanagan, BC to check out some of the wineries.
We've been to Quail's Gate, Mission Hill & Dirty Laundry (but that was probably 10 years ago).
If any of you have experience in that wine region...which would you recommend or have us avoid?
Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan & Cindy
Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Instagram: ryan_baliski
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@musclecarfan1/shorts
Tiktok: @winewithryan
Post #: 1
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/16/2024 9:13:35 AM   
davo22

Spearhead is a must if you love Pinot. Tantalus is just down the hill from there so a good double hit in East Kelowna.

In my view, Naramata bench is the place these days. There are probably 3 dozen boutique wineries between Penticton and Naramata now. Roche, Township 7, Van Westen and Deep Roots are all worth a visit, but I honestly haven’t made a bad pick on the road.

Further south are Black Hills, Painted Rock and La Vieux Pin - all making stellar wines. But lots of others as well.

Just a few but with over 300 to choose from now there are a lot of choices. You just need to gauge your driving distance and where you stay. Enjoy!

(in reply to #winewithryan)
Post #: 2
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/16/2024 9:36:21 AM   
#winewithryan

I had no idea there were that many wineries there....I have family in Kelowna so will maybe see based on these recommendations what they've been to as well.
Trying to figure out if we book a wine tour so we don't have to drive or see if there are other options so we can enjoy multiple wineries without the worry of driving.
Even thinking about this has us excited.

Next trips we would like to see Willamette Valley and Napa...but that will be down the road.
SO many wineries, so little time!

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 3
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/16/2024 2:47:42 PM   
BenG

One thing we did when we went to Okanagan Valley 15 years ago was to do a search for tasting notes from the region. Of course, there are many multiples of tasting notes since then but if you type in "Naramata Bench" for example, you get around 1,350 hits and then you can sort by highest score. Scrolling down, take a note of the wineries that keep getting mentioned Once you have a big enough list of wineries that have several good wine reviews, google the wineries to see if they have a cellar door.

< Message edited by BenG -- 2/16/2024 2:48:51 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/16/2024 3:19:06 PM   
mye

Lengthy-ish thread here on this:

https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=466489&mpage=1&key=okanagan񱹂

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 5
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/16/2024 7:56:43 PM   
#winewithryan

Thank you BenG and Mye....lots of good info for us to review. I love the fact that you as wine lovers have been there done that! Like Coles Notes for us and should make planning a lot easier!

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 6
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/17/2024 6:50:58 AM   
Jenise

Ryan,

I've spent some time in the Okanagan. The wine areas are quite spread out but the best concentration of higher quality wineries is along the Naramata Bench. Your best experience would be to headquarter yourself in or around nearby Penticton and spread out from there on day trips. The distances between each of the little subregions means you'd be spreading yourself too thin to experience more than one on the same day. Kelowna's one area, Oliver at the opposite end another, and the rest in between. There are a lot of boutique wineries that aren't open for tasting and most often these days appointments are required at the rest.

It's hard to make recommendations. What I love and what you love might be different. But a few comments: Mission Hill is a big corporate winery. The Gallo of the OK, as an American might look at it. I wouldn't bother. Ditto Summa Ridge. Dirty Laundry is a tourist winery. Wines (and their fun labels) are made for mass appeal. I used to like Quails Gate but haven't been impressed with anything from them in years.

Of the more serious wineries: Le Vieux Pin (Oliver), but the wines are mostly north of $50, produces outstanding Northern Rhone style syrahs and a few other things. La Stella (Oliver) is also excellent, same owner as Le Vieux Pin but with an Italian slant. Tinhorn Creek would be an excellent winery to visit while in Oliver, and also their restaurant Miradora. The winery and restaurant (mediterranean) are high up the side of an east facing slope with spectacular Valley views and the restaurant was designed and built to take advantage of every inch of it. On a hot day, like you'll have in July, it's an oasis for a midday break.

La Frenz on the Bench excels with white wines and has few equals. I also highly recommend Daydreamer (where the three giant pet sheep waddle out to meet you), Poplar Grove and Da Silva (which also has an excellent restaurant).

There are a lot of great new wineries in the Smilkaneen Valley west of Oliver, like Orofino and Vanessa.

I adore the wines of Blue Mountain, particularly the single vineyard pinots. But they're made for fairly serious, experienced palates (nuance and acidity vs. big fruit and oak). They make pinot noirs that Burgundy-philes appreciate. Cedar Creek and Black Swift also do well with pinots.

Find and drink anything made by Black Hills. Ditto Tantalus. I don't know where they're physically located but the wines are stellar.

One thing you might do when you get into BC is go to one of the LCB (Liquor Control Board) stores and note the producers of all the sub-$20 wines. Whoever those are, don't go to those wineries. Jackson-Triggs, Mission Hill and Grey Monk (Kelowna) will be among them. Instead go to the VQA store in Penticton (there's probably one in Kelowna too) and note the label names in the price range you prefer to spend. That will help you weed out the industrial stuff as well as those in too high a price range, if you have that limitation.

Post #: 7
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/17/2024 4:41:42 PM   
#winewithryan

Thank you Jenise...good feedback!
We just came across Vanessa vineyards recently and love their wines though locally they are being sold for $60 Cdn per bottle making them a little pricier vs the competition. We want to avoid the commercialized wineries and find some of the true Grit that is the Okanagan....so you're post helps me to narrow things down a little! Much appreicated. Ryan

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 8
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/18/2024 8:24:34 PM   
#winewithryan

As of 4 hours ago we just heard back from Burrowing Owl Winery and we'll be able to spend a coupe days/nights for our 25th wedding anniversary. We are going to start doing some planning so we can see as much of that wine region as possible over our days there late June 2024. I suspect based on feedback from you all that we will only get to a couple places so will need to plan for another jaunt down to the Okanagan in 2025 to cover more ground and experience the variety of wineries in this area properly!

Post #: 9
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/18/2024 9:33:50 PM   
Jenise

Burrowing Owl is coming back from a long fallow period in which the son of the wealthy owner took over from famed Napa winemaker Bill Dyer, and let's just say he didn't have the talent required. So can't make any informed comments about the wine but the Inn itself is BEAUTIFUL. You'll have a lovely time there. Mind you, though, that's the hottest part of the Okanagan Valley--where all the syrah is grown for instance. You'll definitely want to travel the other direction and spend time on the lake--maybe just to cool off!

Post #: 10
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/19/2024 5:50:19 PM   
#winewithryan

As this will really be our first time "overnighting" in the Okanagan Wine Region we are setting up camp with family at the Burrowing Owl Winery but will do some research into wineries within a 10-40 km radius for this 3 day trip. If the trip is fun (which is should be) then we'll plan to get back out for another stay but relocate to see more of this BC Wine Region....we are virgins currently.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 11
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/20/2024 6:17:33 AM   
Jenise

A winery recco for you in the southern area you'll be in: Moon Cursor. Not collector-level stuff but moderately priced wines that will be in your wheelhouse price wise, well made, and they bottle almost every variety as a stand-alone wine. You may never have had a straight petite verdot before, for instance; they make one and just about one of everything else too. Another winery that will be within your range distance-wise is Black Market. Owner-winemaker Robb Hammersmith, and if I don't have his name right it's close, grows all his grapes on east facing slopes above Lake Skaha. Excellent wines that are, again, in your target price range.

Post #: 12
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/20/2024 7:39:44 AM   
#winewithryan

Appreciate this information. Yes finding a Petite Verdot wine is not common. The only 2 we've had are: Pirramimma and Spring Valley...so would definitely be interested in trying more of these!

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 13
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/20/2024 2:49:41 PM   
Jenise

Well, I wasn't recommending the PV specifically, just naming it among the wider-than-usual variety of single-grape wines they make. Unusually so for the OK. It's really helpful when you're training your palate and are coming from a place of few options as you've described your local circumcstances, to taste not just one PV (like Pirramina, which is a good one) but taste one alongside a merlot, a cabernet, a syrah, a tempranillo etc all made by the same winemaker from the same area. Or compare the PV to a Bordeaux blend they also use it in. That's how you'll really know what a PV, for instance, really brings to the table.

Post #: 14
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/20/2024 7:21:35 PM   
#winewithryan

I'll take whatever recommendations we can get!
We just started looking into wineries and options for wines that we will purchase then bring back home.
Some will make video reels...others stored...but all loved no doubt.

We have sampled a pretty broad range of wines since 2013 but definitely need more exposure to German, South African, Chilean, Portuguese wines....and for grape varietals we need to try more Malbecs, PV's, Merlots and old world varietals.

So many wines...so little time!

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 15
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/23/2024 7:20:05 AM   
Dr.Cork

It will surely be a pleasant trip.

Here is a map of wineries (not up to date) and I have visited about 80% of those over numerous trips.
BC Wineries

Some I would not miss, in no particular order:
Blue Mountain (amazing pinot noirs)
Culmina
Painted Rock
Tantalus (rieslings, pinot)
Burrowing Owl
Blasted Church
Phantom creek
CedarCreek
Mission Hill (mostly for the view,; great for lunch)
Le Vieux Pin
Liquidity

Have fun !

< Message edited by Dr.Cork -- 2/23/2024 7:21:16 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/23/2024 4:30:22 PM   
skifree

Jancis Robinson released in her "5 minute news" a report on B.C. wineries and their problems due to severe freezes in 2022 and 2024, and wildfires in 2023.

Jancis Robinson 5 Minute News - B.C. is the headliner

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Dr.Cork)
Post #: 17
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/23/2024 7:24:42 PM   
#winewithryan

Dr. Cork I hadn't come across Blue Mountain, Culmina (though I think i've heard of this), Painted Rock or Liquidity (though we've had a wine or two from them).
I literally took Google maps, exploded it around Kelowna, Penticton and near Burrowing Owl and see now i've missed some. There are so many wineries and many without websites or showing up as "closed".

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 18
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/23/2024 8:01:22 PM   
#winewithryan

Though we've been enjoying wines since 2013...I can say we really didn't know much until our trip to Italy in 2016/2017. Once tasting some of their wines our taste buds and brains exploded with a desire to learn and taste more great wines. At the time we were only red...whites/roses didn't come in to our tastings until 2021 or so.
I love them all but will always prefer reds with their complexity. My wife does better with whites (fewer tannins) ....but if we get a good/great Rose I won't complain. My preference for whites seems to be NZ type Sauv Blancs with zippy acidity but flavors not too lime based. I prefer the tropical fruit based whites.
Reds, full bodied, berry, tannin, slight oak, ash, gravel, and something that lingers but not too acidic or tart.

I wish there was more time, more liver, more everything to sample every wine this world has to offer!

This wine trip (our 25th anniversary) will be our first time really doing a wine tasting and the Okanagan will be a good starting point.
Next we want to hit up Napa and Willamette Valley before doing a European trip again.

Post #: 19
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/23/2024 10:21:28 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: #winewithryan

This wine trip (our 25th anniversary) will be our first time really doing a wine tasting and the Okanagan will be a good starting point.
Next we want to hit up Napa and Willamette Valley before doing a European trip again.

Napa is too expensive for my taste…try around Sta Rita hills, SLO,.

Post #: 20
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 2/24/2024 7:57:26 AM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

Napa is too expensive for my taste

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 21
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 3/10/2024 2:15:07 PM   
davo22

quote:

Dr. Cork I hadn't come across Blue Mountain, Culmina (though I think i've heard of this), Painted Rock or Liquidity (though we've had a wine or two from them).
I literally took Google maps, exploded it around Kelowna, Penticton and near Burrowing Owl and see now i've missed some. There are so many wineries and many without websites or showing up as "closed".

Sounds like you're staying at Burrowing Owl and looking for places within a short radius of there. So you'll want to stick with Osoyoos and Oliver area for the most part. You'll be tasting the warmer climate wines of the valley (though many of the wineries do have vineyards up north as well). And contrary to what another person said, while that is where you will find Okanagan Syrah (and much of the Syrah was actually heavily damaged in the 2022 deep freeze and may very well be killed off with the deep freeze of 2024), there are lots of other varieties being grown in the southern part of the valley (Checkmate has all of their chardonnay plantings near Oliver at various altitudes and they are premier valley chards).

I would skip Culmina - they were bought out by Arterra and on my visit there last May found the wines are in decline (unfortunately not an uncommon event with Arterra acquisitions). Painted Rock and Liquidity are both great choices. Black Hills Estate is very close to Burrowing Owl (you'll pass by it) and making a lot of great wines - Nota Bene is a perennial collector's wine. You're also really close to Maverick - they're doing very cool stuff. NK'MIP is Canada's first indigenous winery and has some great product. Blue Mountain - bit of a longer drive north but worth it.

Don't pay much attention to "Closed" currently on Google Maps. Tasting rooms will be opening up throughout March and April so you'll be fine by July. Also don't sweat the 2024 freeze disaster - there will be lots of 2022 and 2023 product for sale and tasting.

Post #: 22
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 3/16/2024 9:48:42 PM   
#winewithryan

My wife and I noticed on Google "closed" tags on wineries and couldn't figure out why that was the case. Thank you for the information...to be safe, if we're in the area we'll call ahead to see if those wineries are open or closed.

Culmina after looking at wine ratings and reviews dropped off our " to visit" list...so thank you for this.

We're currently making a list of wineries in the area and i'm searching the wines at these places, vintages, grape varietals and reviews and compiling a list of what we are going to buy then bring home for wine tastings/videos and personal enjoyment....mind you these are not based on personal tasting.

I can't wait to get to a couple wineries and sample their wines...i'd love to find more than a couple bottles to bring home if we taste and love them...we're looking at white, rose and red wines....no specific preference or grape varietal. We'll find an occasion to consume any type when off work hours!!

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 23
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 3/17/2024 9:23:29 AM   
fasteddie35

If you are up in Kelowna, try to get into Martin's Lane. State of the art winery with really nice people. It's a little expensive but it's your 25'th so pop for a tour. They specialize in Rieslings and Pinots. Then go next door and eat at Cedar Creek. Excellent food and wine list ! I wish we were going with you. We have been up there 5-6 times during the last 7 years and love it. As you have read, you really can't go wrong with any of the above wineries. Cheers !

Post #: 24
RE: Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you h... - 3/17/2024 9:46:01 PM   
#winewithryan

this one didn't even make our search...not sure how it was missed...many thanks!

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Okanagan Wineries - which to visit in 2024 if you have experience? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI