CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Favorite wine vacation destinations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favorite wine vacation destinations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/8/2024 4:57:37 AM   
nebhc

Hey all,

Am currently discussing / planning some wine vacations with my wife, and wanted to ask this forum: what are your favorite wine travel destinations? We're making a list of places we'd like to go in the next 20 years. Global destinations welcome.

We have been to only a limited selection:
- Napa and Sonoma, Santa Ynez Valley
- South Africa
- Sicily
- Southern England

Top destinations for me include:
- Oregon - Willamette Valley
- Rhone + Champagne
- Alto Adige
- Douro
- Mosel
- So many more!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
Ben
Post #: 1
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/8/2024 7:54:48 AM   
CranBurgundy

Central Florida. Not that there's any wine made there, it's where the CT group is and we have fun times and great dinners at BYOB restaurants.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 2
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/8/2024 7:59:46 AM   
WineGuyCO

I would add Priorat Region in Spain for an authentic, non commercialized & uncrowded experience. I would go in Spring or Fall and avoid Summer because it’s pretty hot.

There are many charming villages there: Poboleda, Falset, Siurana, Escaladei etc. Catalan food is excellent and there are no crowds. Wine (Carignan & Grenache) is of very high quality and the area is beautiful. Adjacent wine areas of Montsant & Tierra Alta also produce good wines. Both red & white.

You can stay in the villages or down on the coast in Terragona, Salou or Cambrils. There are plenty of Roman Ruin sites in Terragona to see. It is a lovely area.

We have been to Napa, Sonoma, Paso Robles, Edna Valley Santa Ynez Valley, Chateau Neuf Du Pape, Provence, Rioja, Empordà, Piedmont, Tuscany, Alto Adige, Sicily, Campania, Soave, Valpolicella, Ribera Del Duero, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Mallorca and Priorat is right up there. We’ve done wine tastings in Germany & Austria too. Check Priorat out.

< Message edited by WineGuyCO -- 3/8/2024 8:00:21 AM >

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 3
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/8/2024 8:25:52 AM   
DoubleD1969

So many places to visit. My only regret is not going sooner.

The tasting fees in Napa have priced me out. Been there. Done that.

I prefer Sonoma Coast if picking a place in California. Wines are secondary to the scenery and food — oysters and cheese, of the top of my head.

I have been to Burgundy, Barolo, Tuscany, and the Rhone. All are fantastic in their own way and would love to return some day. If I were to choose one to go to first, I think I will go to Barolo then Burgundy. They all have to be in the fall.

I have not been to Portugal, Spain, Champagne, or Bordeaux. Of this group, my priority is on Porto and then spend time in Albarino country.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 4
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/8/2024 9:03:52 AM   
BenG

We did a lovely trip in New Zealand some years back. We rented a car in Auckland and drove down to Wellington via Hawkes Bay and Martinborough. Turned the car in and caught the ferry across to the south island where we picked up a new car. Drove through Marlborough and central Otago and turned the car back in at Christchurch. We also visited a few wineries outside of those four regions.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 5
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/8/2024 1:14:22 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Fun to think about!

We have so far been contained to North America, but recommend a couple of others in California, really Central Coast, Paso Robles area is dense with good wineries and good wine town vibe. Monterrey/Santa Lucia/Santa Cruz is another good area on north end of Central Coast, and you may have covered it with Santa Ynez, but the whole Santa Barbera County and a bit north are also good wine country feel. Prices for everything are lower in these areas compared to Napa, but that can be said of all of North America.

Going North you mention Oregon-Willamette, but there other Oregon regions worth considering. Southern Oregon scenery, Crater Lake, Ashland, coast make the wine niches more appealing, and it's a pretty new are for wine tourism. That has pluses and minuses. Similar East of Portland is the Columbia River Gorge, stunning scenery and good beer and wine scene, maybe an add-on either of those areas with a Willamette trip though there are plenty of wineries and sub AVA's to explore there regardless.

Washington is next and I won't write a novel, but Seattle is a wine destination with no grapes but over a hundred wineries, and Walla Walla is the prototype wine tourism town, about 5 hours to the East, through and in middle of the actual vineyards, another couple hundred there and along the way, but many of those same wines can be tasted in Seattle or Woodinville, it's wine suburb. The highlight of Seattle of course is that CellarTracker founder and owner, Eric LeVine lives there, and I've heard rumors that his home can been seen during the city Duck Boat tours.

Into Canada, British Columbia's Okanagan is a fun place with interesting wines. Due to their tariff most of these wines never leave Canada, so it's hidden to most of the rest of the world.

Other US States we have toured include Virginia, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, and various others with very spotty results. Virginia has a thriving industry, but is not consistent enough in quality to paint it broadly good. The others I list are novelties. Noted We have never visited Michigan or New York wine countries.

We also have had a few Mexican wines, but the best one I ever had came from Eduardo. If he shows up he can talk about Mexico wine tourism, generally his cellar is the place to start.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 6
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/8/2024 2:02:32 PM   
jmcmchi

+1, or2, on the above but I’d add

Australia, but you need to think of it as at least three. If not five, separate destinations with piles of great wine that never gets to the US

Victoria is mostly cool climate with a big hot region as well. I have had some of the most interesting tasting experiences of my life over the last two weeks here

South Australia, centred on Adelaide, with Barossa, its neighbour Eden Valley, McLaren Vale, Adelaide Hills, the Clare and Langhorne Creek as distinct areas

Western Australia, with Margaret River and the Perth area a few hours apart

In France, add the Loire, within easy distance of Paris (a short TGV trip to rent a car in Angers, Tours et al)

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 7
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/9/2024 6:05:21 AM   
KPB

Gigondas, Provence…

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 8
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/9/2024 6:05:45 AM   
KPB

Oh, and Israel. And Spain or Italy.

Ken Birman

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 9
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/9/2024 9:57:46 AM   
agbanker

I agree with most of the suggestions already posted, but here are some of my favorites that are more off the beaten path -

Alsace France, beautiful medieval villages with many great wineries and more Michelin stared restaurants than anywhere in the world. Also close proximity to Champagne and the Mosel in Germany.

Porto and the Duoro river valley. The Pinhao area is pretty spectacular.

The island of Madeira. Stunningly beautiful, great food and wine. Plus some fantastic hiking.

Croatia and the Dalmatian islands. Very old world wineries located on islands overlooking crystal blue water.

Wherever you go, keep an open mind and don't make it all about the wine. There is always another winery down the road, but there may be only one waterfall or historic site or beautiful church. Take time to see what's there.

Have fun, drink good wine and eat good food!

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 10
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/9/2024 9:59:42 AM   
Paul852

I haven't done much wine touristing, but I did have a wonderful time around Martinborough, Gladstone etc. So New Zealand would be my recommendation.

(in reply to agbanker)
Post #: 11
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/9/2024 10:29:34 AM   
nebhc

Did not know this. Where in Florida is the CT group?

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 12
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/9/2024 10:31:32 AM   
nebhc

quote:

ORIGINAL: agbanker

Wherever you go, keep an open mind and don't make it all about the wine. There is always another winery down the road, but there may be only one waterfall or historic site or beautiful church. Take time to see what's there.

Have fun, drink good wine and eat good food!

Completely agree with this philosophy - on wine trips and in life!

Also, good suggestions. Thanks

(in reply to agbanker)
Post #: 13
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/9/2024 10:33:05 AM   
nebhc

Interesting suggestions re. Oregon. I may DM you about this, if you're open to it, when we plan out OR trip?

Post #: 14
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/9/2024 10:34:48 AM   
nebhc

Give me the Burgundy highlights DD?

And I'm curious: why does Rhone not make it into the top list? Syrah and so Hermitage is a favorite of mine, so I've wanted to walk the hill.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 15
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/9/2024 1:04:17 PM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: nebhc

And I'm curious: why does Rhone not make it into the top list? Syrah and so Hermitage is a favorite of mine, so I've wanted to walk the hill.

Others are more knowledgeable about Burgundy and the area. However as a newbie on the trip and the wines in general:
1) I learned more about the Cru designations by driving around the different villages and seeing the vineyards and where they were located.

2) The town of Beaune was fantastic - train stop from Paris Gare de Lyon or an easy drive from CDG. Very walkable town with tasting rooms, excellent restaurants, a farmer’s market on Saturdays, and of course the Hospice.

3) Fall (after harvest) is always a beautiful time to go.

4) Only had 2 full days. Visited Drouhin-Laroze (small and charming) and Jadot (large corporate but informative tour). Wanted to visit Trapet and Bouchard but timing didn’t work.

The Rhone is great too. Much larger area obviously but excellent winery visits. Giuigal, Beaucastel, Chapoutier, and Rostaing were all great. I’ve posted a trip report several years ago.

And as Chris has noted earlier, Oregon is a fun visit. A lot of diversity in what you can visit - the coast, wine country, Gorge. Fantastic beers too. Rose Garden is a can’t miss.

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 16
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/9/2024 4:20:42 PM   
S1

Burgundy
Rent a bike on Beaune and do the veloroute.
Don't overlook tour/tasting at Bouchard (the good one). It's informative and the wines are ok.
You'll have a very hard time getting into top domaines unless you have connections, and speak quite a bit of French (but there are plenty of other great spots to visit).
GREAT restaurants servinng real food.
The Creme de Cassis at Marche aux Vins is really good. The tour used to be great but it is no longer worth the admission price IMO.
Do the drive to the Hautes Cotes, through Orches (good Rose BTW).

We still love Napa (and Sonoma) but usually visit the places where we are on the list.

Rhone is great.

Switzerland is great.

Languedoc-Roussillon, especially in very early summer, is wonderful. You will find a similar experience as the Riviera, but without the crowds.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 17
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/10/2024 4:21:00 AM   
KPB

quote:

Well, I did suggest Gigondas and Provence, which are in the Rhône. By car you are easily in range of Vacqueryas, Roussillon, CDP, Tavel, Côtes du Ventoux. An issue, though, is that tourism isn’t really part of the CDP tradition, whereas Gigondas has a great tasting room in the main square. In fact there usually is a way to taste wines before purchasing and Pegau in CDP turns it into a nicer visit. But mostly those are just a sales room where you can try the wines, but won’t really get a serious welcome of the kind common in Napa. You get a nicer welcome at the less known, off the path places.

Great cycling area, too! Rent bikes in Bedouin.

< Message edited by KPB -- 3/10/2024 4:22:51 AM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 18
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/10/2024 4:21:25 AM   
KPB

Oops, dup.

Ken Birman

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 19
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/10/2024 6:00:10 AM   
nebhc

All great suggestions - thanks, everyone. Much appreciated.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 20
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/11/2024 8:56:47 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Interesting suggestions re. Oregon. I may DM you about this, if you're open to it, when we plan out OR trip?

Sure! Long ago cookiefiend and Joecookiefiend visited from Indiana and we had a nice visit including some CTer's gathering in PDX, then a tour up the river. They attended the Pinot Noir festival in McMinnville/Willamette in the same trip.

This is a recent shot, but an example of what wine in the Columbia Gorge looks like, and a place Dawn and Joe Cookie enjoyed. Likely oldest Barbera in Pac Northwest at Cascade Cliffs Winery, Wishram, WA, on north bank of Columbia River. This is about 80 miles east of Portland.

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 21
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/11/2024 9:46:04 AM   
daviladc

The order of our favorite wine travel:

Champagne
Burgundy
Piedmont
Montalcino
Rioja
Napa
Veneto
Walla Walla
Willamette Valley
Ojai
Santa Barbara
Lompoc
Passo
Emilia-Romagna

Just back from Napa this weekend. Downtown Napa has really turned into a place to stay and have fun at night. As for tasting fees, every proposed fee was comped when buying wine.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

Post #: 22
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/11/2024 5:21:13 PM   
nebhc

Thanks Chrisin and Davil.

Pinot is my preference, so I'd love to go to one of those festivals.

And Davil, that's a great list. Good to know Walla Walla is that high up. I have a good fly fishing friend who lives there and has invited me out. I'll have to take him up on it!

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 23
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/11/2024 6:10:35 PM   
DoubleD1969

It’s called the International Pinot Noir Celebration (IPNC) and is in the town of McMinnville.

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 24
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/11/2024 9:21:55 PM   
daviladc

quote:

And Davil, that's a great list. Good to know Walla Walla is that high up. I have a good fly fishing friend who lives there and has invited me out. I'll have to take him up on it!

Walla Walla is what I'd like to believe Napa was 20 years ago. Cool people supporting each other in a chill, non-pretentious environment. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than California. We really enjoyed it!

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 25
RE: Favorite wine vacation destinations? - 3/12/2024 1:51:57 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Obviously google maps will tell you this too, but Willamette to Walla Walla is certainly a doable combination, about a 5-6 hour drive, mostly depending on Portland traffic. Again, lots of places to stop for various wine/non-wine things in between, Hood River being a neat "half-way" point town. I am pretty sure a few people who visited one of the CT Barrel parties in Walla Walla flew through Portland.

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favorite wine vacation destinations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI