CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Drinking Window and Cellar Management

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> Drinking Window and Cellar Management Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 3/9/2024 2:04:23 PM   
srogers1@gmail.com

Often I'm going to reports to find something that would be good to open right now. And we could quibble about the actual values in the drinking window, but the "window" concept is pretty good for finding something to drink right now.

But also I go to it with the question: what should I be putting in the cellar? I'm looking for "holes" in the inventory, and the drinking window is not great for that, particularly with better wines where the drinking window might be decades long.

So it strikes me that it might be useful to have a "target drinking date" that can be assigned to bottles individually or as a group. That way, it's possible to come to the database with a question like: how am I standing for reds in 2032? Windows give you a general idea of what's possible, but not a good way to actually know. Of course, lots of bottles are going to be just "drink whenever". But say you have cases that you want to enjoy by drinking one bottle a year. And bottles you're aiming to drink well before they're at the end of their window.

Seems like it would open up some interesting possibilities for management, and also soften some of the frustration with "drinking windows" that are so hard to pin down. Maybe there is a way to accomplish that already that I haven't noticed?

Thanks - SR
Post #: 1
RE: Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 3/11/2024 9:18:52 AM   
tward

From the main page, the Wine Ready to Drink a.k.a. the Drinkability report kind of does that. It also has some non-linear choices that could work better for some types of wine as described there. (I've had to build my own programs / workbooks to do things like this. They work off of downloaded CSV files from CT.)

(in reply to srogers1@gmail.com)
Post #: 2
RE: Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 3/11/2024 9:27:21 AM   
Eric

The READY TO DRINK report is indeed the suggested tool.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to tward)
Post #: 3
RE: Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 3/12/2024 8:31:11 AM   
fingers

Here's a nifty little report that I keep as one of my saved searches:

Start with My Cellar
Summarize by (custom) "Drink Starting"
next column, Summarize "Drink By"
next column, "Individual Wine"

I really like the perspective this view provides. Not exactly what the OP is looking for, but perhaps useful in some way.

(in reply to srogers1@gmail.com)
Post #: 4
RE: Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 4/5/2024 7:28:27 AM   
CheviotCellar

An area that I find useful is "Community Holdings", and the "consumed %" tracked for each wine. While the drinking window dates are interesting, my impression is that only a small % of CT users are updating those fields, and they are sometimes way off or don't even exist. The In Cellars vs. Consumed metric is a real measure of when a wine is getting drunk, and effectively is being kept up to date by all CT users in real-time. If the consumed value is in the 30-75% range, its likely a good time to try a bottle. If its greater than 75%, its likely nearing or past its prime.

My only wish is that there was a report from the dashboard that could show me this across my whole cellar, rather than having to click on individual wines.

Cheers
-CheviotCellar

< Message edited by CheviotCellar -- 4/5/2024 7:29:35 AM >

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 5
RE: Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 4/5/2024 9:45:33 AM   
Eric

The ALERTS feature we are launching soon is based in part around a dynamically calculated version of the %consumed. We are looking at just holdings from people who have consumed ANY bottle in the past 6 months. It is MONEY, totally gave me a list of homework from my cellar.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to CheviotCellar)
Post #: 6
RE: Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 4/5/2024 11:07:11 AM   
CheviotCellar

Love it! Can't wait to see the report. I suspect I've got some cellar cleanup as well.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 7
RE: Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 4/5/2024 7:38:27 PM   
Paul852

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

The ALERTS feature we are launching soon is based in part around a dynamically calculated version of the %consumed. We are looking at just holdings from people who have consumed ANY bottle in the past 6 months.

I like this step, which starts to address the largely unspoken issue that a significant number of the "holdings" in CT are associated with accounts that have not been accessed for several (or many) years, and are therefore likely not current.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 8
RE: Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 4/5/2024 8:21:56 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

The ALERTS feature we are launching soon is based in part around a dynamically calculated version of the %consumed. We are looking at just holdings from people who have consumed ANY bottle in the past 6 months.

I like this step, which starts to address the largely unspoken issue that a significant number of the "holdings" in CT are associated with accounts that have not been accessed for several (or many) years, and are therefore likely not current.

Your "significant" number is about 7% for what it's worth.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 9
RE: Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 4/6/2024 5:49:33 AM   
CheviotCellar

Recently used the CT beta app on IOS for first time. While each bottle still shows the total Community holdings, the pending delivery, in cellars, and consumed metrics are all gone from the details tab. This is a miss in my opinion, even with the new report that’s coming. Any reason that data isn’t displayed or accessible as drill through? Those metrics are valuable, even if 7% of users never return to update them.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 10
RE: Drinking Window and Cellar Management - 4/6/2024 10:50:17 AM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: CheviotCellar

Recently used the CT beta app on IOS for first time. While each bottle still shows the total Community holdings, the pending delivery, in cellars, and consumed metrics are all gone from the details tab. This is a miss in my opinion, even with the new report that’s coming. Any reason that data isn’t displayed or accessible as drill through? Those metrics are valuable, even if 7% of users never return to update them.

It is on our list.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to CheviotCellar)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> Drinking Window and Cellar Management Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI