CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 3/28/2024 4:30:41 PM   
stevemar

I have recently seen some wine ratings on this site where the user Liked the wine but rated it 50, 65, 70, 75 etc. with no explanation or notes. This is not useful information for anyone. Why even bother leaving a rating? All that does is lower the score of an otherwise drinkable and enjoyable wine.

< Message edited by stevemar -- 3/28/2024 5:16:38 PM >

CT Member since 2016
300+ bottles in cellar
Post #: 1
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 3/28/2024 5:09:17 PM   
cigar52

I have seen over the years the same. True.

(in reply to stevemar)
Post #: 2
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 3/28/2024 5:54:33 PM   
DoubleD1969

I could be wrong but when you add the author to your Ignore list, the CT averages don’t include the user.

(in reply to cigar52)
Post #: 3
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 3/28/2024 6:14:13 PM   
champagneinhand

Very common to see this in new tasters of very sweet wines and I hate that a taster without having any experience with this type of wine even gives it a score. All you can do here is find users with similar palates, experiences.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 4
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 3/28/2024 7:10:54 PM   
stevemar

I’ll have to give this a try. Thanks for the tip.

CT Member since 2016
300+ bottles in cellar

Post #: 5
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 3/28/2024 7:12:32 PM   
stevemar

Thanks for your input. In this case however it’s mostly reds, but I do see the newer user factor.

CT Member since 2016
300+ bottles in cellar

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 6
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 3/28/2024 7:24:18 PM   
Redrunners

You also see the opposite - users post notes that they don’t like the wine, but give it 97 points.
Guess much of it cancels each other out if enough reviews on the wine.

I do ignore a user that gives out very high scores on every wine they try, even when most are very mediocre.

< Message edited by Redrunners -- 3/29/2024 1:56:42 PM >

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to stevemar)
Post #: 7
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 3/28/2024 9:14:30 PM   
jmcmchi

I have noticed cases where I was using my cellphone to make a note and a 73 or similar rating mysteriously appeared for a wine I liked. I’m now more alert for this, but I know at least one example where it took me a few months to correct it

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 8
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 3/29/2024 11:42:57 AM   
KPB

I've seen this too: some CT users use wording that suggests they like a wine and then rate it 50. Maybe they just are people unfamiliar with the 100pt grading system used in the US and some parts of Europe? For an American, grading is normally 65-100 with scores below 75 or so considered subpar. Parker's 100pt scoring fell naturally into this model.

But in Europe the traditional model more often used stars -- a wine might be on a score from 1 star to 5, for example (or they might have been little hearts, things like that). Gault Millaut used such a scheme -- perhaps still does. In that system, a wine with 3 stars was perfectly fine. 3 is the middle of the 1-5 star range. So I could imagine "What score? Well, 3 stars. Halfway. So, 50".

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 9
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 3/29/2024 12:16:08 PM   
xyc

Not infrequently, the rating seems to change on its own after posting, no clue why this happens. Some keyboard misfunction.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 10
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 4/3/2024 8:30:44 AM   
davo22

As with any community based information service, what is entered here is only as good as the people entering it try to be. I know there is some attempt at moderating entries in the background, but nearly an impossible task with how much is on here now. As the user base has increased over the years, yes I have noticed a clear increase in badly written reviews, scores, drinking windows, prices, etc. Which just says you have to be your own filter in using what's here, and understand who is writing and grading your wines. That said I have found no other wine inventory service that is as complete or comprehensive as this one.

(in reply to xyc)
Post #: 11
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 4/3/2024 3:15:52 PM   
recotte

I use the like/don't like flags, but I never give numeric scores. I've noticed in the app, I periodically accidentally touch the rating slider, and a numeric (very low) score gets assigned. I usually catch this before I post, but sometimes I don't. I've had comments left bringing it to my attention, as in "Hey, you seemed to like this wine; is the score a mistake?" which is a great prompt for me to correct it.

When I see this situation on others' notes, I'll leave a comment, as well. I appreciate it when it's pointed out to me, and I've never had a bad reaction when I point it out to others.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 12
RE: Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? - 4/6/2024 8:16:28 PM   
alitman

DoubleD1969 where is the option to add to ignore list? Is that the same as blocking someone?

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Very LOW ratings but Liked the wine? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI