CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Old World or New World?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Old World or New World? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Old World or New World? - 2/25/2010 11:41:40 PM   
profiler54

I vastly prefer old world wines .. I find them more complex and food friendly

wondering what the consensus was
Post #: 1
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 12:00:44 AM   
jhannah27

I am an old world guy typically, but there are times when i crave a big fruit and oak blast that only the new world can bring.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to profiler54)
Post #: 2
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 5:15:17 AM   
J2K

Overall, I prefer Old School but.........it depends on the setting or mood that I'm in. It seems fashionable now to dislike big Aussie fruit bombs but they're my favorite wine to drink while watching a movie.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 3
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 5:25:10 AM   
pjaines

My cellar is predominantly old-world but I prefer to explore the world with my tastes.

It is more about taste - I prefer well structured, complex wines that go well with food and tend not to prefer fuller, richer more alcoholic wines. I dont really care where they are made, so long as they taste good.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 4
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 5:30:40 AM   
Bryan Collins

My cellar is 96.63% Old World and 3.37% New World. Seems about right :)

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 5
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 6:37:52 AM   
cgrimes

quote:

ORIGINAL: J2K

they're my favorite wine to drink while watching a movie.

That's funny.  Kind of like the wine equivalent of Swedish Fish.  I'll have to try that sometime.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 6
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 7:59:02 AM   
Bryan Collins

Actually, I should state that I've just decanted a bottle for tonight, and it's one of the 3.37% - 1996 Dominus. Along with Monte Bello, consistently my favourite Californian.

I'd be quite interested in any Californian Pinots that people could suggest might appeal to a traditional Burgundy lover. I've tried occasional bottles of things like Sea Smoke and Marcassin without really being convinced.

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 7
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 8:02:24 AM   
gmbdds

quote:

It seems fashionable now to dislike big Aussie fruit bombs

Which is making it pretty inexpensive to acquire some nice Australian wines.

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 8
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 8:05:23 AM   
Khamen

I'm mostly old world, but do like a good spicy, warming Aussie and don't mind experimenting here there and everywhere

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to gmbdds)
Post #: 9
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 8:07:08 AM   
cgrimes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bryan Collins

Actually, I should state that I've just decanted a bottle for tonight, and it's one of the 3.37% - 1996 Dominus. Along with Monte Bello, consistently my favourite Californian.

I'd be quite interested in any Californian Pinots that people could suggest might appeal to a traditional Burgundy lover. I've tried occasional bottles of things like Sea Smoke and Marcassin without really being convinced.

Bryan,
I've yet to taste a Burgundian CA Pinot.  You'll have to go north to Oregon for that--even still that is a minor subset.  Burgundy is truly a unique region...If I end up seeing any of you in England when I am there in April, I'll see if I can bring over some OR Pinot you'd likely not find across the pond.
Craig

Post #: 10
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 8:30:09 AM   
PMDias

quote:

ORIGINAL: cgrimes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bryan Collins

Bryan,
I've yet to taste a Burgundian CA Pinot.  You'll have to go north to Oregon for that--even still that is a minor subset.  Burgundy is truly a unique region...If I end up seeing any of you in England when I am there in April, I'll see if I can bring over some OR Pinot you'd likely not find across the pond.
Craig

Recently picked up a case of the '01 Anderson's Conn Valley Pinot for a song, and was surprised by how layered, understated and yet intense it was - all qualities I associate with Burgundy. Yet it still had a flavor profile that I wouldn't call typically Burgundian, even if it might fall within a broader compass. Still, I suspect you might enjoy it.

Mind you, it's the only vintage I've tasted.

As for my own tastes... Being a snob, I like to think I'm an Old World guy, and that's most of what I own. Having said that, it's (maybe not so) surprising how often I find myself really enjoying Old World bottles that are supposed to be in a New World style.

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 11
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 8:35:30 AM   
Scoperta Importing

I was raised on new-world wines, and every once in a while if I'm exhausted or stressed out I like to come home and bust open a fruit bomb to drink by itself as "comfort food".   But my tastes have drastically changed over the years and now I definitely prefer the old-world style.  For the most part, I drink wine with food , so structure is key.  Alas, many new-world wines just don't offer this at an affordable price point.  But many old world wines do.

More and more these days, you've got to know your old-world producers, though.  I can't tell you how many times I've ordered wines in a restaurant based on the traditional regional profile only to find the producer has decided to make a super-ripe, oak-soaked wine that I have to wait until the end of the meal to drink.

Cheers,

Tim Hallett
www.scopertaimpors.com  

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 12
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 8:40:25 AM   
wadcorp

New World, but mainly because I'm fairly out of my element with Old World wines.

I get totally lost with French & Italian labels. Not that I don't know a few to look for. I've just not spent much time with them.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Scoperta Importing)
Post #: 13
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 8:44:10 AM   
Wrighty

Cellar is about 75% old world but also started on new world. Find it's the old world which gives me the memories and thus where I look to 'lay down' for future memories.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 14
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 8:46:54 AM   
mbannon

I appreciate the new world wines, but definitely prefer the higher acidity and more complex flavor profile of old world wines.  Obviously I'm making sweeping generalizations here.

---------
Tri Me.
Work Me.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 15
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 8:49:13 AM   
Scoperta Importing

Bryan - I agree with the other posters that there just aren't any Cali pinots that appeal to a traditional burgundy lover.  I can't tell you how many times I've tasted through rows of them at shows that all seem to meld into each other and fade into the background once I sip even a village level Burgundy. 

Anthony Terlato is obsessed with trying to make (well, sell - someone else actually makes it) a Burgundian Pinot in the Russian River valley.  If any one does, he's certainly got the passion and cash to make it happen.  I've not had it, but he and Gary V. tasted it together in this episode http://tinyurl.com/lgdnzc and it seems like maybe one day AT might come close.  I'm not holding my breath though.

All that being said - I love Burgundy - and while the wines from Morgan Winery in Monteray don't quite fit the bill, certain vintages do provide me with great pleasure. 

Cheers,

Tim Hallett
www.scopertaimports.com

Post #: 16
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 9:35:04 AM   
fingers

Does everyone accept the definition "Old World = Europe" & "New World = everywhere else"?

I think the line continues to increasingly blur.  From my experience, there's really not much susbstitute for Burgundy, Loire, or Champagne.  Italian varietals and winemaking are also certainly distinguished, but there are an increasing number of California producers coming very close to those profiles, too.  And with all of the excellent Bordeaux blends coming from Southern Hemi and USA, I don't think the Bordeauxlytes can claim any supremacy since "Judgement of Paris".  When it comes to style, I keep hearing about European wines made in a New World style and vice versa - New World territory producing OW style .

So is it geography or performance?  I often think the snob says, "If I like it, it's Old World.  If I don't, it's New World"  regardless of where it's from.  

Post #: 17
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 9:38:26 AM   
Khamen

Good point fingers. It's the wine not the region necessarily. Yes I have a predisposition towards Bordeaux but my 2 favourite wines in the world are consistently Ornellaia (Italy, Olde Worlde, but is it a new world style?), and Henschke Mount Edelstone (Australia. Defo new world but more than a nod to the Northern Rhone).

So on that basis I like old world wines made in a new world way and new world wines made in an old world way. Maybe the Ascension Islands would make my perfect wine?

How bizarre

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 18
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 10:02:11 AM   
profiler54

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scoperta Importing

I was raised on new-world wines, and every once in a while if I'm exhausted or stressed out I like to come home and bust open a fruit bomb to drink by itself as "comfort food".   But my tastes have drastically changed over the years and now I definitely prefer the old-world style.  For the most part, I drink wine with food , so structure is key.  Alas, many new-world wines just don't offer this at an affordable price point.  But many old world wines do.

More and more these days, you've got to know your old-world producers, though.  I can't tell you how many times I've ordered wines in a restaurant based on the traditional regional profile only to find the producer has decided to make a super-ripe, oak-soaked wine that I have to wait until the end of the meal to drink.

Cheers,

Tim Hallett
www.scopertaimpors.com  

Thank you Robert Parker.. for the homogenization of wine .... I agree

Post #: 19
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 10:05:23 AM   
profiler54

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wrighty

Cellar is about 75% old world but also started on new world. Find it's the old world which gives me the memories and thus where I look to 'lay down' for future memories.

That's an interesting perspective... I like that ..

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 20
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 10:12:56 AM   
profiler54

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Does everyone accept the definition "Old World = Europe" & "New World = everywhere else"?

I think the line continues to increasingly blur.  From my experience, there's really not much susbstitute for Burgundy, Loire, or Champagne.  Italian varietals and winemaking are also certainly distinguished, but there are an increasing number of California producers coming very close to those profiles, too.  And with all of the excellent Bordeaux blends coming from Southern Hemi and USA, I don't think the Bordeauxlytes can claim any supremacy since "Judgement of Paris".  When it comes to style, I keep hearing about European wines made in a New World style and vice versa - New World territory producing OW style .

So is it geography or performance?  I often think the snob says, "If I like it, it's Old World.  If I don't, it's New World"  regardless of where it's from.  

I would break down that way... but I consider climate, New World= dryer warm climate and Old World= cooler wetter climate...

With market trends, technology and global warming the line between the two has become less distinct..

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 21
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 10:18:01 AM   
kelpcowboy

Old world wines will always be the gold standard.  I am enjoying watching the evolution of Washington and Oregon producers as their wines move in the direction of subtlety and grace.  The vines are getting older, the availability of good blending grapes is increasing and the skills are maturing.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. -- Mitch Ratcliffe

(in reply to profiler54)
Post #: 22
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 10:24:16 AM   
pbm

I'm with Scoperta, fingers, khamen and others on this in that I pretty much take issue with the question. For me it's because it implies a standardized regional taste across all varietals and blends. I think I understand the stereotypes that are being referenced but given the myriad of producers these days I don't believe they  hold consistently true and not because of parkerization. Rather, there are plenty of complex, nuanced food-friendly wines from outside of Europe and there are plenty of wines from Europe that seem to do just fine on their own. I don't have the time, budget, or experience to know for certain what types dominate which region I just know everything from plonk to what most would characterize as Old World are available from almost every major wine region. Whether they're widely available outside of that region is another story...

So, if you ask me whether I prefer food-friendly or stand-alone my answer is that it depends -- on the wine, the food, and where I'm standing.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to profiler54)
Post #: 23
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 10:45:52 AM   
Khamen

quote:

original : pbm

and where I'm standing.

Or passed out

K

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 24
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/26/2010 12:54:10 PM   
pbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khamen

quote:

original : pbm

and where I'm standing.

Or passed out

K

Well, I am about to go catch up with Toby so, yeah that too.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 25
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/27/2010 7:42:28 AM   
pjaines

When I was last in South Africa I was at a vineyard speaking to the owner.  He said they had been making wine for 200 years and hates the term "new world" - he thought of their wines as 200 year old wines with 200 years worth of family knowledge.

For me I think elegant and "modern" wines are made everywhere - doesn't matter if you are in CA or the Loire - I've had oaked monsters from some of the most classical regions in France and some elegant, pure wines from Oz, CA, Chile etc.

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 26
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/27/2010 9:17:25 AM   
duck833

65% of cellar is Oregon Pinot Noir's. Some old world and some new world. I like them all.

Nice thing about Oregon PN is there is such a range. I am able to pair a bottle of Oregon PN with almost any dish we serve. If I need a big wine to handle some nice bbq rib-eyes I grab a big New World type PN and it works very nicely. Also when I am doing salmon I can grab a bottle of J. Thomas and it's old world style pairs very nice.

So bring them all on, I enjoy both sides of the world.

Go Ducks!!! - I love my thugs

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 27
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/27/2010 1:35:09 PM   
bathman

my cellar is about 85 percent old world and there are some great new world wines but in general I prefer the complexity of old world style. Most new world wines (clearly with some execptions) are a fruit bomb or have so much wood you drink the forrest instead of the wine and that is only nice for one glass and not a full bottle. So once in a while the fuit bomb is ok and nice if they would sell them in small (1/3) bottles but not a full bottle for me

Only the traditional made (old world style) wines from the new world are in general pretty much ok

Great thing though is they generally speaking ripe faster so instead of waiting 15 years for some of my bordeaux wines I can drink them in 2 years:)

(in reply to duck833)
Post #: 28
RE: Old World or New World? - 2/27/2010 2:08:10 PM   
khmark7

Much prefer old world styled wines.  I'm a Bordeaux guy, but I enjoy other areas besides just that.  Like others have said, something different is good at times.

What I don't want is for Bordeaux to go the way of California with 14%+ alcohol fruit bombs.  The 2009 vintage has me worried.

(in reply to bathman)
Post #: 29
RE: Old World or New World? - 3/4/2010 6:48:29 PM   
profiler54

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Much prefer old world styled wines.  I'm a Bordeaux guy, but I enjoy other areas besides just that.  Like others have said, something different is good at times.

What I don't want is for Bordeaux to go the way of California with 14%+ alcohol fruit bombs.  The 2009 vintage has me worried.

That's my fear too... and with global warming, bordeaux seems to be getting riper...and thus more alcoholic... wondering about alcohol levels with the much anticipated 2009 Bordeaux vintage..

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch"
W. C. Fields

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Old World or New World? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI