CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Arrested Development

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Arrested Development Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arrested Development - 3/16/2010 6:08:53 PM   
sonofabacchus

Anyone have any authoritative insight into the potential to dramatically slow or even freeze a bottled wine's development so aging can effectively be extended or put off far into the future? Seems that with proper isolation, reasonably low temparatures and other environmental factors (cork augmentation sealing?) it should be possible without adversely affecting the wine. Suspended animation of sorts for wine is the general idea.
Post #: 1
RE: Arrested Development - 3/16/2010 6:54:18 PM   
grafstrb

if the wine gets too cold tartaric acid will precipitate out of the wine, resulting in a slightly less acidic wine: i've had a couple bottles that were thus affected, and the difference between a bottle thus affected and one that is not is noticeable.  I do not know at what temperature such precipitation will occur, but that's the information you are after.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to sonofabacchus)
Post #: 2
RE: Arrested Development - 3/16/2010 7:26:20 PM   
bretrooks

That was a great TV show.  Sorry, no on-topic help...

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 3
RE: Arrested Development - 3/16/2010 8:52:30 PM   
caeleric

I don't know if this is true, but Bern's steakhouse in Tampa, FL claims that the low temperature of their cellar allows for a much slower aging process. So I guess you can slow the process down without damaging the wine, but not halt the process all together.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 4
RE: Arrested Development - 3/16/2010 9:13:07 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

I don't know if this is true, but Bern's steakhouse in Tampa, FL claims that the low temperature of their cellar allows for a much slower aging process. So I guess you can slow the process down without damaging the wine, but not halt the process all together.

Absolutely true.  You just have to make sure you don't get it too cold, per my post above.  Sorry I don't know where that line is.  I'll pose the question to the winemakers on the WB board.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 5
RE: Arrested Development - 3/16/2010 10:57:10 PM   
sonofabacchus

Sure would be nice to be able to accomplish for some of the less age-worthy whites. Find a fantastic one and enjoy it now and again in ten years, when it would have otherwise be dead.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 6
RE: Arrested Development - 3/17/2010 1:12:42 AM   
grafstrb

well,  so far I've learned that it's not tartaric acid crystals that will precipitate out but rather potassium bitartrate.  have yet to receive a hard-line answer, though.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 7
RE: Arrested Development - 3/17/2010 1:08:37 PM   
sonofabacchus

Undoubtedly, someone has studied this at UC Davis and has an answer. However, there are a lot of stubbornly held and loosely substantiated ideas on storage rules that are more commonly recited in public forums.

BTW, I once accidentally put a bottle of red wine in the freezer in a bag with some other groceries. Found it the next day. The cork still (barely) in the bottle, so no mess. Allowe dit to thaw out in the refrigerator and then brought up to serving temperature at room temperature. The wine, in that particular case, was just fine. If I recall, the bottle was Petit Verdot 95% Tannat 5%. I would not expect this to be a good thing in general though.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 8
RE: Arrested Development - 3/17/2010 1:24:43 PM   
grafstrb

some very good information starting to come to the surface in this thread on Wine Berserkers: http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19527

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Arrested Development Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI