RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/19/2011 9:35:49 AM)

Well, Dontime, this old windbag has to get caught up today on all the stuff I avoided yesterday... [;)]

dontime -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/19/2011 9:45:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Well, Dontime, this old windbag has to get caught up today on all the stuff I avoided yesterday... [image]http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/image/s4.gif[/image]

That's what I plan to say tomorrow...

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/19/2011 8:38:15 PM)

It's so seductive, this wine thing.

dontime -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/20/2011 5:55:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

quote:

Well, Dontime, this old windbag has to get caught up today on all the stuff I avoided yesterday... [image]http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/image/s4.gif[/image]

That's what I plan to say tomorrow...

Well, Doug, this old windbag has to get caught up today on all the stuff I avoided yesterday...

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/20/2011 1:11:03 PM)

[:D] The plan came together, Dontime.

Here in the West Virginia panhandle, it ended up getting pretty drunk out, last night, and I'm contemplating some serious sobriety.

I suppose as opposed to the "joking kind" of sobriety, whatever that is. [&:]

caeleric -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/20/2011 2:43:26 PM)

doug- keep the prose coming. u have inspired me to write again!

am I correct that, in the spirit of the title of the thread, every time you write your introspective posts you have consumed at least 1 whole bottle by yourself?

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/20/2011 3:11:07 PM)

Chris, yes, at least one whole 750 ml bottle, with help from no other person.  Prime the pump....

musedir -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/20/2011 3:40:57 PM)

Doug, I would have expected nothing less than 1.5L for some of these pearls!

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/20/2011 8:49:39 PM)

Heh, fear not, Musedir.  Most were 1.5 to 2.25 liters. Frankly, I like drunken reveries, but Cabernet + Port + Italian Red + 2.5 hours later you have to go to work = you look at yourself in the mirror as you leave.  "You idiot."

dontime -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/20/2011 9:28:42 PM)

quote:

[:D] The plan came together, Dontime.

Here in the West Virginia panhandle, it ended up getting pretty drunk out, last night, and I'm contemplating some serious sobriety.

I suppose as opposed to the "joking kind" of sobriety, whatever that is. [&:]

Doug, if you're that close you ought to let me know. Maybe not joking, but trival.

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/21/2011 1:49:40 PM)

Dontime, back in New York for three weeks.  Will be in touch.  Will do some practicing in the meantime.

dontime -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/21/2011 4:12:36 PM)

quote:

Dontime, back in New York for three weeks.  Will be in touch.  Will do some practicing in the meantime.

I'll keep practicing too. Makes perfect!

Wine_Strategies -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/23/2011 9:03:57 PM)

quote:

Heh, fear not, Musedir.  Most were 1.5 to 2.25 liters. Frankly, I like drunken reveries, but Cabernet + Port + Italian Red + 2.5 hours later you have to go to work = you look at yourself in the mirror as you leave.  "You idiot."

- As I bow down, I realize I may have underestimated your, er, talent...

slaughterer -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 3:41:03 AM)

At 1 liter my head starts spinning too fast for me to hit the right keys on the keyboard. Maybe I need a little training from Old Doug. [;)]

fingers -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 7:29:17 AM)

Dugz gotz skillz

recotte -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 7:34:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Dugz gotz skillz

Crazy mad skillz.

pbm -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 8:12:44 AM)

My goal is to post on this thread after meeting the requirements before Noon some day.

dontime -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 8:50:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

Dugz gotz skillz

Crazy mad skillz.

Crazy mad endurance.

caeleric -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 10:29:30 AM)

if i did this as often as our boy o.d., i'd have a crazy big waistline!

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 7:31:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

if i did this as often as our boy o.d., i'd have a crazy big waistline!

Heh - guess what?  It's made a difference for me.  Time was (long ago) that it "didn't matter what I ate, what I drank..."  Well, that no longer applies.  Been doing my current job more than half my life, and in this job I used to be 100 lbs. less.  "Food" [:D] for thought.

My own best definition of "maturity" is to be able to sacrifice current desires, perceived short-term gains, etc., for long-term happiness.  My whole life I've always wanted to "do the most," and "get to the top of the mountain" (literally), to set records - scholastic, athletic, or even for eating.  Done all, but when it comes to controlling the day-to-day impulses I'm not so hot.  No complaints about my life, but I have not matured well.  That said, I wouldn't change much.  Don't know how or that it really relates at all as far as psychological health.  Hmm... It probably does, though.

In Slaughterer's original spirit of honesty and confession - I have no secrets, but I'm confronted, often, by "am I killing myself," and "am I betraying my wife?"

The answer is pretty obviously yes.   I'm still "good" in some things - my family doesn't tend to build up arterial blockage, we're long-lived, my wife has never known me that I wasn't working "on the road," and not the "normal husband," yet in no way can I rationally just smooth things over, thinking of that next bottle of wine.  A certain amount of alcohol, per day, on average, and it's going to hurt you.

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 8:16:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

quote:

- As I bow down, I realize I may have underestimated your, er, talent...

[;)] Wine_Strategies, I've worked with a lot of boozers in my day, and I've seen some awfully sorrowful faces coming into work.  "Talent"?  [:)]

My step-brother's biological father died at 42 years of age.  He drank nothing but beer.  Budweiser.  But he drank a pile of it.  He was a serviceman for the telephone company in Maryland, a capable, knowledgeable (and friendly and helpful) man.  My stepmother divorced him after it became clear that there was little hope for him, long after the almost "mystical" initial feeling she had for him was gone.  She's a wise woman, now, but sometimes you only get a time or two to really choose, in a life.  She and my dad are great.

So - then what about my mom, you may ask?  She and my my dad are smart, interesting people, happy in general, but not really suited to each other on a basic level.  She graduated from Earlham College, Richmond Indiana, 1958, and my dad went there too, finishing up his degree at Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, where I was born the next year.  Me, two brothers, a sister, then in 1975 they got divorced. 

A year or two ago, my wife - in a moment of frustration/agitation/anger at me due to my somewhat implacable level-headedness (for better or worse) or at least, "calmness," perhaps wanting some acknowledgement or validation for her more Sicilian-emotional-momentary approach, asked me what I "truly believed in."  A moment passed, and then I said, "The essential goodness of my parents."  Little bit hard for me to get that answer out, and some tears in my eyes further convinced my wife.

My parents' divorce was one of the best in history, I reckon, and my mom and step-mom became friends, to the extent that they spent a week together a few years after the divorce, just the two of them, at a convention in the summer.

My mom doesn't like drinking, beyond a very slight point.  Her dad - my grandfather - was a "scary alcoholic" (her words) who was cruel to my grandmother, though he never physically abused his daughters - my mom, then her two sisters, each two years apart.  My mom remembers him taking out his three girls for a ride in the car of an afternoon in 1944, my mom age 8, the sisters 6 and 4, he stops at a bar, goes in, the girls wait patiently.  Perhaps 4 hours later, out he comes.

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 8:29:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaughterer

At 1 liter my head starts spinning too fast for me to hit the right keys on the keyboard. Maybe I need a little training from Old Doug. [;)]

Oh Lord, my friend, I don't think I recommend that.  For one thing, it's a numbers game.

Several variables.  How much blood do you have in you?  What is your body mass?  What tolerance/experience/expertise/love/hate for alcohol do you have?  To what extent, drunk or sober, can you concentrate on one thing?  Male or female? (Men, in general, of a given body mass and blood volume will be less affected by a given amount of alcohol than women.)  Can you sleep well above a certain blood alcohol volume?  What do you have to do on the morrow?  What amount of hangover are you willing to accept?  How much longer do you want to live?

How much are you willing to practice?  [:D][;)]  Okay - I put that one in there for laughs.

pbm -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 9:10:17 PM)

quote:

How much are you willing to practice?  [:D][;)]  Okay - I put that one in there for laughs.

[image]http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos2/2002-05-07-iverson2.jpg[/image]

Practice???

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 9:24:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbm

My goal is to post on this thread after meeting the requirements before Noon some day.

"I like a good beer buzz early in the morning."  -- Sheryl Crow - "All I Wanna Do."

Didn't really drink until I was in my 20's.  Probably - really - 1986, I was 26 or 27 - got a six-pack of beer, drank five of them before going to bed.  Good grief - didn't even finish the 6th one.... that's well-nigh alien behavior to me now.  Yet I remember thinking, "I like this feeling," before going to bed.

But oh, the eventual drinking.... Many is the time in Canada we'd get a job postponed, often for 2 to 5 days, and then the party would be on.  I love/loved those guys, me even being an American and all, and with a British guy in the mix, but if anything it worked to our mutual boozing-encouragement.  Wake up in the morning and have a waste basket with 8 or 10 beers still in it, and maybe even some un-melted ice, or not.  Grab a bottle, take the cap off, and start drinking again...

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 9:28:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

Crazy mad endurance.

A really good book I read is "Knowing When To Stop," by Ned Rorem.

http://www.amazon.com/Knowing-When-Stop-Ned-Rorem/dp/0671728725

A true musical talent, and sometime wild-man.

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 10:05:05 PM)

quote:

Dugz gotz skillz

I had "teachers" in one respect that were almost beyond mortal grounds.  More about that at a later time. 

Beachrooster -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/24/2011 10:35:24 PM)

Definitely my favorite thread...

musedir -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/25/2011 2:21:46 AM)

quote:

The answer is pretty obviously yes.   I'm still "good" in some things - my family doesn't tend to build up arterial blockage, we're long-lived, my wife has never known me that I wasn't working "on the road," and not the "normal husband," yet in no way can I rationally just smooth things over, thinking of that next bottle of wine.  A certain amount of alcohol, per day, on average, and it's going to hurt you.

Some of you have heard this already but when I quit the daily drinking (and exercised a mite more), my weight went down 35#s. Do I miss the glass of red at dinner... Yup, some nights. But I also look forward to Friday First Pour with a new anticipation. At 60 I realized that I wasn't 30 anymore... A very hard fact.

As for Old Doug's musings on the grape and life, enjoyable and poignant reflections.

dontime -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/25/2011 4:03:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

At 60 I realized that I wasn't 30 anymore... A very hard fact.

As for Old Doug's musings on the grape and life, enjoyable and poignant reflections.

+1 (a hard fact yes, but obviously better than the alternative.  And you worry less than the 30 year old - at least I do)
+1

Old Doug -> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone (8/27/2011 6:41:22 PM)

She turned around, she turned my day around.

My scorn, my discomfort, my impatience all melted away as I realized I better make an effort not to stare too long. 

A waitress, an unknowing angel, a big window behind her, the bright light there had her face just slightly in shadow, enough for the mind to leap ahead of itself and imagine all sorts of beauty.  Yet there was nothing imaginary about it, and as the full light hit her face, nobody else was looking at her; I was transfixed.

Hispanic, I was guessing, maybe Syrian, maybe Lebanese, ah, the unconscious grace that was there.  Dark hair, dark eyebrows, dark eyes.  Her skin was cream, crème brûlée, café au lait.  In profile, her hair obscured the top of her forehead, before almost straight down with a little outward rounding to where her eyebrows rounded out a little more. Then in a smooth curve, back in to her eyes and out, along her nose.  Back in under her nose, and a short, hard fall to her upper lip, the top of it going straight out before rounding back in to her mouth.  Slightly more roundness as her lower lip went out and down, then the underside curling back in, and another vertical move down to where her chin curved back in further yet, beginning her jawline, ending at her neck.

Beauty.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI