Italian Red Wine 101 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Maestro -> Italian Red Wine 101 (4/17/2008 3:20:23 AM)

Based on the questions I have been asked (and inspired by Serge's "all you need to become a Bordeaux expert is to remember 7 names"), I decided to post the basics of Italian Red Wine:

Category 1: The Collectibles

Italy has basically 5 types of red wine that one can collect and which are likely to appreciate in value. They are (in order of importance):

* Barolo (Variety=Nebbiolo; Region=Piedmont)
* Brunello di Montalcino (Variety=Sangiovese; Region= Tuscany)
* Barbaresco (Variety=Nebbiolo; Region=Piedmont)
* Super-Tuscans (Variety=Bordeaux-like Blend; Region=Tuscany)
* Amarone (Variety=Corvina Blend; Region=Veneto)

There you have it. Remember these 5 and you are an "expert".

Category 2: The Best Sellers

* Chianti (including Chianti, Chianti Classico, and Chianti Classico Riserva)
The variety is predominantly Sangiovese and the Region is Tuscany.
* Valpolicella (including Ripasso and Valpolicella Superiore)
It is a Corvina blend and the Region is Veneto.

Chiantis drink well but very seldom deliver the quality needed for long-term cellaring and collecting. If you want a Sangiovese-based collectible, your wine is Brunello.

Valpolicella is the little brother of Amarone.

Category 3: The Hidden Treasures

These are not likely to be that well know, but are well worth the adventure:
* Taurasi (Variety=Aglianico; Region=Campania
* Etna (Best varieties being Nerello Mascalese and Nero d'Avola, as well as blends; Region=Sicily)

And that's the basics...

Maestro -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/17/2008 5:05:18 AM)

And now to the classification systems:

"Vino da Tavola" --> Table Wine --> Anything goes...

"DOC" ("denominazione di origine controllata") --> The original classification system from 1963, which is largely modeled after the French AOC system.

"DOCG" ("denominazione di origine controllata e garantita") --> these go through more strict regulations than DOC wines, including bottle sizes, allowed yield, mandatory tasting control and lab controls. There are 25 DOCGs in Italy.

"IGT" ("indicazione geografica tipica") --> created primarily to allow the Super-Tuscans and other internationally-inspired wines to have a classification. This tells you about the terroir (for example, a IGT Toscana must come from Tuscany), but there are almost no restrictions on grape varieties and vinification methods.

In simple terms, the Vini da Tavola are usually simple, cheap wines; the DOCs and DOCGs are classified Italian wines which use Italian grape varieties and traditional methods; and the IGTs come from a certain region but tend to carry less of an "Italian Tradition" in their vinification approach (for example: the Super-Tuscans are very much inspired by Bordeaux).

gbm -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/17/2008 9:48:52 AM)

Thanks Maestro.  That's a great introduction.  Now if I can just remember it...

cgrimes -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/17/2008 9:53:49 AM)

Thanks!  I have had a couple of Taurasi which have been very good.  Based on your previous threads, I'll have to delve more into the south.  For everyday drinking (though I tend to drink French), I must admit its hard to beat a good Barbara or Ripasso.

fingers -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/17/2008 10:42:01 AM)

I have to also add my favorte sparkler, Moscato d' Asti.  Just the best summertime drink there is!

(Sorry, forgot the thread was for red's)

Doryman -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/18/2008 1:29:08 PM)

Maestro:

I really enjoy your posts on the Italian reds.

Could you offer any examples of the Taurasi and Etna wines?

Thanks!

Maestro -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/18/2008 2:00:00 PM)

Thanks, Doryman.

For the Taurasi, look here: http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/m_18613/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#18613 .

As for Etna, that is coming soon, in my next "Southern Italy Outpost" issue. Watch this space...

GintsO -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/19/2008 1:46:23 AM)

I tried hard many times to like Chianti but without success...
The same for Super-Tuscans - I have not found any reason why producers in Italy try to make Bordeaux replicas. Cheaper wines from real Bordeaux are (in my opinion) far better. Instead of these I prefer such varieties as Nebbiolo, Barbera (my favorite), Negroamaro, Nero d'Avola, etc. They are representing the real Italian character unlike commercial "...aia"s.
Perhaps, it is heresy but this is my opinion.

apes -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/19/2008 9:08:23 AM)

The variety is predominantly Sangiovese and the Region is Tuscany

If Brunello and Chianti are from the same Varietal and region, what is the difference? Why are Brunello's cellar worthy?

Maestro -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/19/2008 2:26:58 PM)

There are many other similar examples, such as -- for instance -- why is Pomerol age-wrothy and Fronsac is not?

In one word, apes: "terroir".

In terms of Sangiovese, there is Brunello, and then there is the rest...

ParkHill -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/19/2008 3:20:20 PM)

Is Brunello better because of soil and climate, or do the producers just do a better job?

Maestro -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (4/19/2008 3:31:17 PM)

If you go to Montalcino and Chianti you will notice that the microclimates are quite different (Tuscany is a fairly large area and Chianti and Montalcino are not neighbours).

I also personally think that the Brunello producers try harder -- but that is just a matter of opinion.

But the terroir must play a big role. Personally, I think the 2nd wine from Montalcino (called "Rosso di Montalcino" -- a DOC) is on average superior to Chianti Classico (which is a DOCG).

Of course, there is Chianti Classico Riserva (the top Chianti), which tends to be better and more age-worthy. But Brunello is Brunello.

Maestro -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/3/2011 6:39:02 AM)

Since I just linked another thread to this one, and hence re-read what I posted back in 2008, I should add that my opinion on Chianti Classico has become more favorable after the release of the 2006 vintage, due to the changes in the regulation of the DOCG and increased focus on quality.

So I am more positive to Chianti now... ;-)

wallstreet -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/3/2011 7:10:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maestro

Since I just linked another thread to this one, and hence re-read what I posted back in 2008, I should add that my opinion on Chianti Classico has become more favorable after the release of the 2006 vintage, due to the changes in the regulation of the DOCG and increased focus on quality.

So I am more positive to Chianti now... ;-)

Now why did you go and do that?  The price for top quality Chianti just went up 25% thanks to your more positive view of the region.....   :) 

( I also posed a barolo question to you in the "Shutdown" thread would be interested in hearing your view.)

musedir -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/3/2011 7:17:15 AM)

I'm so glad you resurfaced as your thoughts on Italian wines are superior to any others on our forum. Stirling is appreciative of your help I am sure.

RobRah -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/3/2011 8:32:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: apes

If Brunello and Chianti are from the same Varietal and region, what is the difference? Why are Brunello's cellar worthy?

And there are wines like Cepparello, which is a 100% Sangiovese Supertuscan, and ageworthy.

Blue Shorts -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/3/2011 10:58:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobRah

quote:

ORIGINAL: apes

And there are wines like Cepparello, which is a 100% Sangiovese Supertuscan, and ageworthy.

Isn't that an oxymoron?  100% Sangiovese Supertuscan?  Makes no sense.  Is that correct?

Bryan Collins -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/3/2011 11:07:49 AM)

Why not?

100% Sangiovese was "against the rules" back in the early 90s and earlier - Chianti had to be blended. Some wines lost the right to the term Chianti due to blending grapes forbidden by DOC/DOCG rules; some never had the right because they were made outside the DOC/DOCG regions; Cepparello lost the right due to not blending at all.

wadcorp -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/3/2011 12:13:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

Isn't that an oxymoron?  100% Sangiovese Supertuscan? 

You're right. It has to be 126% Sangiovese at least.

Stirling -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/3/2011 7:25:54 PM)

Maestro: yes, I am very appreciative of these posts! This is the perfect pocket primer on Italian wine. Your 2 2008 posts will be copied into my notebook and no doubt will serve me very well on our trip - thanks again. [image]http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/image/s2.gif[/image]

Beachrooster -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/3/2011 8:26:42 PM)

Thanks Maestro, your post was very informative.
quote:

Based on the questions I have been asked (and inspired by Serge's "all you need to become a Bordeaux expert is to remember 7 names"), I decided to post the basics of Italian Red Wine:

Italy has basically 5 types of red wine that one can collect and which are likely to appreciate in value. They are (in order of importance):

Chiantis drink well but very seldom deliver the quality needed for long-term cellaring and collecting. If you want a Sangiovese-based collectible, your wine is Brunello.

* Etna (Best varieties being Nerello Mascalese and Nero d'Avola, as well as blends; Region=Sicily)

And that's the basics...

Beachrooster -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/3/2011 8:27:38 PM)

Thanks Maestro, Your post was very informative.
quote:

And that's the basics...

hudamang -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/4/2011 10:53:00 AM)

I went to Tuscany couple months ago and loved my visit at Fontodi and Felsina.  The Flaccianello was 100% Sangiovese but isn't labeled as a Chianti Classico.  For the longest time, I thought Flaccianello was a Super Tuscan blended with other grapes.

Montalcino is the most beautiful wine area I've ever been too.  I'm very excited about the 06s being released, which will probably also result in a lot of great 04 bargains. 

Maestro's recommendation for Taurasi is excellent.  I tried a couple of bottles and was very impressed.  Seems like the italian market in the US is pretty weak except for the big name Barolos, Super Tuscans, Brunellos.  I see a ton of discounts from everywhere.  Very excited to re-balance my cellar this year and include a lot more italian wines. 

Khamen -> RE: Italian Red Wine 101 (2/4/2011 11:12:05 AM)

The term "Super Tuscan" is not only for Bordeaux blends. A 100% sangiovese can also be a "Super Tuscan". Originally it was for the supposedly top wines from an estate that weren't classified in the local DOC/DOCG which generally meant Bordeaux blends. These were labelled up as IGT, a classification previoulsy use for general grog. Now however, any wine that is not clasified as DOC/DOCG can pick up the tag of Super Tuscan. There are actually a lot of 100% sangioveses out there (for example) that don't carry a Chianti/Brunello classification but are seen as superior.

The problem was that the Italian classification system was so damned restrictive and convoluted - the producers went round the sides and abused the system. Often this gave them the freedom to make the wine they wanted to make rather than had to make to meet the regs. A word of warning tho - not every IGT/super Tuscan is superior to the equivalent DOC/DOCG. Think "band" and "wagon".

K

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI