Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

S1 -> Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/18/2012 5:37:49 PM)

Friday 21 and Saturday 22
Weekend update—The cast of crazies is set.[8D]
The slate of wines is LOCKED (except for the ones that aren't-- "the surprises")[8|]
Attending are:
Bob in NC/TW
champagneinhand
drycab/TW
mgriffith/TW
mindmuse/TW
mtpisgah/TW
musedirTW
Old Doug/TW,
S1/HRH
S2/TW
Tommy Vernieri/TW
LOCALS—Jack/TW, Tim
Our "excuse" is the opening of musedir's Rock & Roll Photography exhibit at The Gibbes Museum of Art.
We are residing at an inn in the historic district and conducting afternoon tastings there. Chefs are pairing dinners with wines that we are binging; the restaurants are within staggering distance of the inn.
All wines are 750x2 because of the size of the crowd; we will try to find a steady hand to post photos. I will take notes for as long as I am coherent (oops, too late).
As the moderator of this insanity, I thought I would set the Vegas (baby) over/under line at 70 bottles, but Old Doug may have something to say about that. There will be Sine Qua Non, Saxum, Clos des Papes, Beaucastel, amazing German Riesling, Grand Cru Burg, 1990 & 2000 Bord, an amazing American Merlot horizontal, Alsatian VT, Washington, a bare-fisted Napa Cab battle, some crazy Italian...There are many more but I'm too tired to remember.
Oh, and someone mentioned Port from the 60s and 70s.
If we survive to live another day we hope we can add more of y'all in the future.

musedir -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/18/2012 5:52:23 PM)

Lordy, Lordy... Wish I was coming! OMG! I am... Have mercy on my soul (and liver)!

atkinson_b2 -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/18/2012 7:06:12 PM)

I just floated the idea to the wife of driving down to Charleston on Friday for the wine orgy...that was quickly shot down unfortunately [:@] Wish I could be there too...

Bob in NC -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/18/2012 7:15:40 PM)

The weather is looking clear so we should be taking the motorcycle down. I hope I'm in good enough shape to drive it home on Sunday.

musedir -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 2:09:41 AM)

We should all have goals in life Bob... Long term and in this case short term! [:)]

Old Doug -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 2:24:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

I thought I would set the Vegas (baby) over/under line at 70 bottles,

Take the 'over.'

mtpisgah -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 5:53:03 AM)

I have been trying to eat healthy this week so I can pig out this weekend and not feel guilty. I would never feel guilty about drinking too much wine though.

Wine_Strategies -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 6:15:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

I have been trying to eat healthy this week so I can pig ou[;)]t this weekend and not feel guilty. I would never feel guilty about drinking too much wine though.

Never is a long time [;)]

musedir -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 6:16:35 AM)

True enough.

mgriffith -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 6:25:52 AM)

I am unfamiliar with this word "Guilty".

musedir -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 10:58:43 AM)

As I consider the personages gathering in the cradle of the Confederate states, I am reminded of the sea of personalities coming together and it reminds me of this classic Calvin and Hobbes:

Calvin: Dad, what’s a control freak?
Dad: It's what lazy, slipshod, careless, cut corners workers call anyone who cares enough to do something right.
Calvin: Am I in the presence of their king? Should I kneel?
Dad: If anything in this world works, it's because one of us took charge.

'Nuff said. [:D]

Melovino -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 12:10:45 PM)

May a ridiculously obnoxious amount of fun be had!!!!

I'm still recovering from the offline in Atlanta a few months ago.

Cheers to CT'ers!!!

khmark7 -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 5:21:53 PM)

Have fun everyone!  Please keep us up to date with all hilarious and drunken misfortunes [:D]

musedir -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 5:28:08 PM)

Drunken? What's this word "drunnken" mean? Hmmm...

Franklin 10 -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 5:47:56 PM)

Jealous.

I think its been mentioned before but this will be the 23rd anniversary of Hugo. Glad there will be at least one port for you all during Hurricane Cellar Tracker which is forecast to be between a category S1 and S2.

Cheers!

mgriffith -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 6:11:11 PM)

And the first reprobate in in command central.

musedir -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 6:13:27 PM)

Is it raining? Is the rain coming down sideways? Are you even sober enough to know?[:D]. I hear that train a-coming!

dontime -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 6:16:01 PM)

Where did I go wrong?

mgriffith -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 6:39:39 PM)

Not raining at the moment. And have not imbibed yet. Got in too late and tired to drnk anything. Tomorrow, on the other hand...

mtpisgah -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 6:53:07 PM)

The weather is going to be fantastic. The company enjoyable. The beverages delightful. The food delicious.

I can't wait to get there tomorrow and go in search of food and drink.

S1 -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 7:11:18 PM)

still awake.
It's a shame we don't have an extra day just to hang out at the beach on this summer weather weekend

ChrisinCowiche -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 7:33:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

I thought I would set the Vegas (baby) over/under line at 70 bottles,

Take the 'over.'

Per day?  per person?  Still take the over. 

Great Job, S1.  Sorry my trip east is two weeks too late.

Old Doug -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 8:27:30 PM)

Warming up with Mindmuse, tasted 26 wines, all Pinot Noirs, pretty much evenly split between California and France. The Yanks were older, mostly, 1988 to 2001, with one 2006, and some of them were definitely over the hill or in decline. Everything except two from California were tasted blind.

The Frenchies were all 2002, except for one 2003.

Wine of The Night, overwhelmingly, was the 2002 Rossignol-Trapet Latricieres - Chambertin Grand Cru. Charleston attendees will see some similarity there if they look at the bill of wine.

BornToRhone -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/19/2012 8:47:06 PM)

Here's hoping ya'll have a great time and stay upright to 45 degrees. We are expecting some serious stories and tasting notes just as well, stay safe! Wishin' I was there!

BtR

champagneinhand -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/20/2012 1:17:07 AM)

Okay, so I made the 1000 mile journey and drove into the downtown area at 2:30AM, and made a deal to get into my room early. Thank goodness, because I was going to drop my back seats and crash out there if this didn't work out. Every rest stop after dark was jammed full of tractor-trailers and I loosely remember something terrible occurring to Michael Jordan's father in one of these Rebel rest areas. Not good at all.
On a lighter note, I also saw "There's Something about Mary!" I passed and am officially a road warrior again. The wines are napping in a carrying tote that's insulated. All whites and Champagnes are tucked away in the convenient fridge that came with my room. See you all tomorrow after my Coma is over.[:D][:D]

S1 -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/20/2012 2:39:14 AM)

HAPPY BURGUNDY THURSDAY
(and maybe[8|] Friday and Saturday)
Weekend Forecast
Updated: Sep 20, 2012, 3:10am EDT

Fri Sep 21
Partly Cloudy
85°F/67°F
Chance of rain: 20%
Wind: ENE at 6 mph

Sat Sep 22
Mostly Sunny
86°/70°
Chance of rain: 20%
Wind: SSW at 7 mph

Sun Sep 23
Partly Cloudy
86°/64°
Chance of rain: 10%
Wind: NW at 5 mph

no parkas necessary

musedir -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/20/2012 3:55:04 AM)

6:39am in Columbus, Georgia... In a couple hours my Boonesfarm Riserva and Chateau Élan Scuppernong Sec will be snuggly packed for sharing with my well-heeled gents and lassies. Got my glasses packed. Still gotta pick out some fancy duds so we don't embarrass S1 or HRH since we decided not to just hang around the Taco Truck for chow. Feel a little like Gomer and Barney getting to go to Mt.Pilot for a high time tonight!
[image]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/kimilicious_2008/boonesfarm.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo261/demandbridge/Chateau%20Elan/Founders-Reserve.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh587/jlbarrett1971/_MG_75242.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/thebear021/rednecks.jpg[/image]

Yup... We're a-comin'!

S1 -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/20/2012 4:28:08 AM)

I have an extra glass in case you break one

mgriffith -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/20/2012 4:43:00 AM)

Wonder if I can get Champs room number and stage an impromptu wake up call?

musedir -> RE: Charleston Offlineorama--tick, tick, tick... (9/20/2012 5:27:35 AM)

Well I do hear that sleep is highly overrated... BTW, what is your room number?[8|]

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI