Sake? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support

basis -> Sake? (2/17/2005 3:34:24 PM)

Should this be a wine type? Or is it a vegetable wine?

b

epounds -> RE: Sake? (2/17/2005 4:43:54 PM)

I think it would be great if CellarTracker was set up to manage non-wine spirits. It seems like it would be common that users would store their Scotch, Vodka, Sake, etc. in their wine cellar.

When adding a new wine, "spirits" and "licqueur" are two wine types. Are we supposed to use these types for non-wine beverages, with the varietal being Whiskey, Vodka, etc.?

-ErikP

iByron -> RE: Sake? (6/28/2007 8:55:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: basis

Should this be a wine type? Or is it a vegetable wine?

b

Technically, Sake is not a wine. It's its own category of fermented beverage. Its production has more in common with beer than wine (Sake producers even call themselves "brewers"...but it's not beer either) though it has elements of both. The term "rice wine" was coined for Westerners who needed a point of reference in order to make sense of it, and it's perpetuated today because wine is a high-end commodity and aligning Sake with it is good for business. Calling Sake "rice wine" is akin to calling beer "hop wine."

But they're here on CellarTracker and are really a bit of a mess. I vote for "wine type" but that would require more programming and cleanup work than simply calling it a "vegetable wine" with varietal "rice" (rice is a grass and grass is vegetation) and designation "sake".

Eric -> RE: Sake? (6/28/2007 2:37:09 PM)

When I get a chance I will add a new type and plumb this all out to handle that, suppress the varietal etc. What would really help is if someone could make me a little icon (a bambook stick?) for Sake.

iByron -> RE: Sake? (6/28/2007 10:27:07 PM)

I've got a good idea and am working on one. If someone beats me to it...oh well.

mdscott -> RE: Sake? (6/29/2007 5:31:26 AM)

Hip Hip Hooray

Michael

iByron -> RE: Sake? (6/30/2007 12:06:18 AM)

Sending to you directly, Eric. Still have your address from a previous correspondence.

Eric -> RE: Sake? (6/30/2007 9:34:05 PM)

OK, the icon is deployed along with a few code changes to suppress the varietal. I updated the ~100 wines I could find. Further tweaking and updates may be required.

Should we make other changes along these lines for beer? For other spirits? This is not terribly tough.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI