4% (6)
Sauternes
  7% (9)
Champagne blends
  10% (13)

Total Votes : 123
(last vote on : 12/12/2013 9:55:05 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )

khmark7 -> Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 7:09:01 PM)

Curious where everyone's preference lies with white wines. I included what I thought would be some top choices, but the list could go on forever.

Please vote for your top 3!!!!

Mine, Bordeaux Blanc, Pinot Gris & Sauternes. If I had another choice it would be Pinot Blanc, and love Chenin Blanc as well.

musedir -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 7:12:07 PM)

Chard, Sauvignon Blanc and Viognier... Of course, these belong to Dr. M.

For me Chard, Riesling and Chenin Blanc (I love Loire Valley wines)...

pbilling -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 7:16:43 PM)

Love lightly oaked or unoaked chards, my current favorite as a daily drinker is Concha y Toro Casa de Marquesa Chard, good Bordeaux Blancs and Pinot Gris round it out, I find most of the Pinot Grigio to thin for my taste.

wineismylife -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 7:23:44 PM)

Yes.

dsGris -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 7:26:32 PM)

I will vote Pinot Gris for my wife, Riesling for myself and Rhone whites as a compromise.[:)]

schwank -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 7:34:11 PM)

I voted Riesling but my second place white is not on the list... Chenin Blanc. Then would come the Rhone varietals. Then probably Gris, Champagne blends, and then Chard.

ChrisinCowiche -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 7:48:20 PM)

Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Rhones.

f22nickell -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 8:39:44 PM)

Chenin Blanc ... Not on the list.

champagneinhand -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 10:15:27 PM)

I couldn't vote for just 3, and some are so much part of where they are made and how the are made.

Chardonnay really limited to Burgundy or BdB champagne. Chard from cA is generally horrible, but much of that is the over oaking and the clone. some from WA, NY are okay. The dessert version is bad.

Riesling, best in Germany, but so many different styles, NY, WA, Alsace and Austria seem to have really good Riesling too. The sweet , sweeter and sweetest, are so totally different from the dry GG or American versions.

Champagne blends, from Champagne....been very disappointed this week from CA versions, as they don't seem to age the same way. OR a touch better, and NY has big possibilities. Must have mineral.

Sauternes and Tokaji are both stellar, when in their dessert form. Sauternes is Bdx Blanc in its dry form and very nice as well. Tokaji, can be a blend of Furmint, Harvesulu, and Muscat or PG.

I love the inexpensive blend of blanc CdR. The heavy percentage of Viognier is great when blended with some Marsanne, Rousanne, a touch of Clairette and Cinsault. I've been disappointed by pure Viognier, but pleased by Rousanne from CdP and some WA seem decent. Marsanne and Rousanne can make great dessert wines, see SQN.

Pinot Gris from Alsace are tremendous, especially when done in VT, SGN and SGN trie speciale

Chenin Blanc was not on the poll, but can be tremendous in dry, Sec or Dessert version, but usually limited to the Loire Valley.

Muscat can be spot on when appropriate whether sweet semi-dry or dessert wines. Vin du Constance is a great dessert wine.

Greece makes some great white, especially from Santorini! I think you are missing so many varietals. Albinaro, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Noir Blanc. I have had great versions of all listed and some horrible piss versions, especially Italian Pinot Grigio.

In serious dessert form German TBA, Tokaji Essenczia, PG SGN trie Speciale, and Chenin Blanc really are more like amazing grape based elixirs. The only desert wines that I haven't been very impressed with was a Chilean version of chardonnay and it wasn't bad, just not stellar. Vidal Blanc and Cab Franc blanc fall into that category as well.

Not that I'm a fan of these but, Gerwurztraminer and Triaminette could be included as well as blends of Riesling and Svetlener make a good Alsace wine.

If the question was rephrased in white dessert wines, dry wines or off-dry/semi dry or sec, could make the poll numbers much more informational. Please excuse varietal spelling errors.[;)]

fanglangzhe -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 10:23:25 PM)

I'm surprised there aren't more posts in favor of riesling as i've heard many red wine drinkers say the only white wine they drink is riesling.

champagneinhand -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/15/2013 10:37:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fanglangzhe

I'm surprised there aren't more posts in favor of riesling as i've heard many red wine drinkers say the only white wine they drink is riesling.

We are expanding our horizons. Riesling is still up there, but the category is too broad. Riesling is the dominant white in my cellar.

dsGris -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 12:39:55 AM)

I started out on Riesling, and then went on to the harder stuff![8D]

Yossarian -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 12:49:21 AM)

Chardonnay ....because it gives wonderful Burgs and Chablis.

S1 -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 1:26:29 AM)

Chard from Burgundy
Riesling from Germany, Austria, Alsace
the conspicuously absent Chenin from Loire
I would love to see Austrian Grüner on the list as well

MindMuse -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 1:35:56 AM)

Um, see above?

Riesling, Chard, Chenin...

wadcorp -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 4:23:55 AM)

I don't see gin, the other white wine.

mc2 wines -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 5:12:24 AM)

We're still getting into whites - more like baby steps. I think right now I'd say:

Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Sauternes

but definitely wouldn't proclaim having any sortof developed palate on these. We only drink white when it's just too hot to do red or when we want a sweeter end to the night.

cookiefiend -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 9:50:57 AM)

Chardonnay, Champagne blends, Riesling

fingers -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 10:07:31 AM)

Favorite type: dry

Favorite varietals: Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay in that order. Riesling would likely move into the top 3 if I ever have that "WOW/AHA" moment with it and I just haven't, yet.

Also love a good Marsanne and several Italian white grapes (Verdicchio rocks!)

grafstrb -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 10:08:39 AM)

Accidentally voted only for my favorite: Riesling.

2nd and 3rd for this poll would be the Marsanne/Roussanne/Viognier and Sauv. Blanc options (although Sauternes probably should snag one of my votes, I find it hard to vote for a style that is strictly sweet).

hankj -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 11:27:51 AM)

I'm with Cookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

Chardonnay, Champagne blends, Riesling

loving Chard is a Freshman move, hating it is JV, loving it again is Varsity.

wineismylife -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 11:34:22 AM)

I didn't vote. I refuse to vote just for three. [:@]

mjobtx -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 11:43:46 AM)

Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc. But like wineismylife. three just doesn't cut it. Any well made white with the right food is a wonderment.

RobRah -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 1:57:10 PM)

This is more difficult once I started thinking about my answers.

For general enjoyment: good German or Alsace Riesling - just-off-dry to sweet. I can't afford wines of even vaguely approaching the quality from other grapes! I would have voted for Alsace Gewurztraminer if it were there. Occasionally I enjoy a Sauvignon blanc, if it is really zesty and fresh and *LIGHT*, and cold. I rather suspect I would also rather like some of the off-dry Chenin from the Loire. I've had some lovely muscats, dry and sweet. Again my requirement is to be fleet and racy and leave me refreshed and enlivened.

With fish and seafood I suddenly have very different and fairly consistent 'go-to's though...... Provence whites (what grapes are those? Bourboulenc? Clairette? Ugni blanc?), and the flinty Croatian Pošip.

For the "big and dry" white wines I only really enjoy them at a rather exulted level (I can recall vividly a few Burgundies from my past), and I tend not to shell out the prices when I think of the reds I could have instead :/

I keep a few good Sauternes though.

Does Sherry and Madeira count ;)

GalvezGuy -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 3:13:50 PM)

+1
quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Yes.

GalvezGuy -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 3:16:10 PM)

Can't do just three, just like WIML, also Chenin Blanc is conspicuously absent.

BornToRhone -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 3:26:20 PM)

I just can't pull myself together to vote until you remove the Pinot Grigio from the same selection as Pinot Gris! [:@]

Once that happens, then i will need to vote for about seven others as well. It might easier to mention that i'm not a fan of (pinot grigio), oaky chards, and many sauv. blancs.

I really love Alsace wines (all of them),good champagnes, lightly oaked chards (US, Chablis, Bourgogne), and German drier reislings.

khmark7 -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 5:38:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BornToRhone

I just can't pull myself together to vote until you remove the Pinot Grigio from the same selection as Pinot Gris! [:@]

Once that happens, then i will need to vote for about seven others as well. It might easier to mention that i'm not a fan of (pinot grigio), oaky chards, and many sauv. blancs.

I really love Alsace wines (all of them),good champagnes, lightly oaked chards (US, Chablis, Bourgogne), and German drier reislings.

Easy now, was just trying to broaden the options. I don't care for most Italian Pinot Grigio, but it is the same grape whatever you call it, and in the US most wineries call it Pinot Grigio, to my dismay.

Poll only allowed 10 options, but would have added Chenin Blanc, Pinot Blanc, Gruner V & Gewurtz. Always like to hear peoples favorites. Personally I enjoy all whites from the Loire, including that weird grape they make Muscadet with. Melon de Jaines??

champagneinhand -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 6:15:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: BornToRhone

Easy now, was just trying to broaden the options. I don't care for most Italian Pinot Grigio, but it is the same grape whatever you call it, and in the US most wineries call it Pinot Grigio, to my dismay.

Poll only allowed 10 options, but would have added Chenin Blanc, Pinot Blanc, Gruner V & Gewurtz. Always like to hear peoples favorites. Personally I enjoy all whites from the Loire, including that weird grape they make Muscadet with. Melon de Jaines??

If that was the criteria then you have to group Andre with the Champagne grapes and that just isn't fair.. Almost all Italian Pinot Grigio can be used to strip furniture almost as well as bourbon, but with the Lemon pledge smell remaining for quite a while. Seriously an abuse of a beautiful grape, that is quite a difficult grape to grow properly... I am experiencing this. The Alsace Pinot Gris SGN(Tokay) that are subject to botrytis are ethereal, especially with time. They can rival the best of Sauternes, German TBA and Tokaji, which is a very impressive group.

Pinot Grigio rivals are listed under furniture polish that can only be consumed ice cold, in order to strip your mouth of any leftover sauce. Fruilo makes some good white. Italian whites can be good, they just aren't focused on much.

khmark7 -> RE: Favorite type of white? (7/16/2013 7:04:07 PM)

I am guessing that nobody on this forum is drinking Andre Champagne, or whatever it is. Regardless of style Pinot Grigio is still made from Pinot Gris.

We are talking in a general sense here. I am very aware that Chardonnay or Riesling may be very different depending on style or place of origin.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI