Tokyo (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Wrighty -> Tokyo (9/4/2008 8:42:21 AM)

Am currently in Tokyo (with work colleagues) and as much as I love Japanese food I am both beered out and missing a nice glass of wine.  Any suggestions for a place for dinner with decent wine which won't require a remortgage on the apartment?

Wrighty

pjaines -> RE: Tokyo (9/4/2008 8:43:18 AM)

I think this might be a wine shop....but you can always sit in your room in your underpants like Homer Simpson glugging wine.

http://www.enoteca.co.jp/en/

Wrighty -> RE: Tokyo (9/4/2008 8:46:46 AM)

How do you know what I'm wearing!

pjaines -> RE: Tokyo (9/4/2008 8:46:47 AM)

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/551145

Apparently there are a lot of French restaurants around Tokyo now.

Where are you staying?

Wrighty -> RE: Tokyo (9/4/2008 8:56:29 AM)

Shinjuku Prince - my guess is I've got a better chance with Italian and will be looking at a lower budget with 7 of us!

Wrighty

JohnNezlek -> RE: Tokyo (9/4/2008 9:34:30 AM)

Wrighty,

No Sake? Might be worth some serious investigation. It was for me.[:)]

John

Wrighty -> RE: Tokyo (9/4/2008 9:42:38 AM)

I like it but it's probably the last thing on colleagues list.  Will save for a personal trip.

Thanks,

Wrighty

Colonel Lawrence -> RE: Tokyo (9/5/2008 6:50:04 AM)

Wrighty,
Enoteca near National Asabu - a supermarket near Roppongi that is frequented by expats - is both a wine shop and a modern style place to eat.  I did all my wine shopping there and ate there ocassionally as well.
Good place, but rather a trek for you.*
Hotels, like everything else, are expensive.
I seem to remember Happy Hour's were worth looking out for.
Onced ended up with four champagnes for the price of two.
I'd tried to order 2 for price of 1, but the waiter misinterpreted my two raised fingers sign.
Japanese (all three of them) are a rather tricky language.
HIGHLY rec. Roy's for Brunch - food exceptional, wine in with the price, and not a wallet buster.
L.

Parking is also tricky, but you can valet park at the supermarket during the day ;)

Wrighty -> RE: Tokyo (9/8/2008 7:51:04 AM)

Thanks all.

Ended up passing both Enotecas, the new one in Ginza and the new one in Roppongi Hills.  Unfortunately unable to get in either as I was with others! 

All I ended up with was a bottle of white Masi in an Italian in Daikan Yama (excuse the spelling please).

Off to Ningbo Wednesday so same scenario only a shorter trip.  Will have to pull something from the fridge for my return.

Thanks for all the posts.

Wrighty

pjaines -> RE: Tokyo (9/8/2008 7:57:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wrighty

I like it but it's probably the last thing on colleagues list.  Will save for a personal trip.

Thanks,

Wrighty

What kind of people are you working with Wrighty?  Are they puritans or slobs?

Wrighty -> RE: Tokyo (9/8/2008 8:05:27 AM)

My immediate boss would have been has happy as me but the next one up could be the first I think.....

The slobs on the trip hung out (as is traditional on foreign travel for Brits) in the St James pub in Shinjuku - alas I joined them.

Wrighty

pjaines -> RE: Tokyo (9/8/2008 8:20:06 AM)

Shame on you.  Shaaaaammmme. 

Did you have fish and chips and a pint of lager?

Wrighty -> RE: Tokyo (9/8/2008 8:51:00 AM)

Asahi...........

then Guiness!

In reality it was just the last stop before bed.  Love Japanese food so ate Japanese everynight but one.

But the embarassment.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI