RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Hollowine -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/27/2016 5:22:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Scott - looks like i might have to experiment, in the name of science of course. Ideally i would like to drink a 375 ml of Sauternes over a week, without having to stab the cork multiple times if i don't need to.

I like the Everclear idea, but wouldn't water work just fine??

I went with Everclear as it will be a more efficient solvent than water, and it will also evaporate more proficiently. Plus I feel like a tough guy walking out of the liquor store with a pint of Grain alcohol in my paper bag... [8D]

mclancy10006 -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/28/2016 5:46:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Scott - looks like i might have to experiment, in the name of science of course. Ideally i would like to drink a 375 ml of Sauternes over a week, without having to stab the cork multiple times if i don't need to.

I like the Everclear idea, but wouldn't water work just fine??

I went with Everclear as it will be a more efficient solvent than water, and it will also evaporate more proficiently. Plus I feel like a tough guy walking out of the liquor store with a pint of Grain alcohol in my paper bag... [8D]

wimp only a pint! Just kidding you can't even buy it here. http://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/10-things-didnt-know-about-everclear

Rackit -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/28/2016 9:12:24 AM)

Are others doing this so that they can buy cheaper cartridges?
Works great. Just need to soak a used cartridge overnight in some acetone.
[image][img]https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8671/28420088140_c4dbabe1ce.jpg[/img]coravin cap hack by Miles West, on Flickr[/image]

mikes -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/28/2016 12:57:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rackit

I haven't tried it yet, but I am saving my used cartridges for this purpose. Do you have a link to the cheaper ones you've been using?

Hollowine -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/28/2016 1:06:42 PM)

quote:

Yes. I was able to get the plastic cap off the Coravin cartridge with a couple pairs of channel lock pliers, but I'm sure the acetone works well.

I've been purchasing the Preservino Argon cartridges on Amazon, they have worked fine. The first time you have to push the plastic cap onto the Preservino as they are unthreaded, but after a time or two the plastic threads compress down and it isn't an issue.

Rackit -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/28/2016 1:13:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikes

quote:

I haven't tried it yet, but I am saving my used cartridges for this purpose. Do you have a link to the cheaper ones you've been using?

The box I have says Wine Innovations on it. Comes in a 10 pack.
Not sure if the Pek cartridges work, but it looks like they should and they're even less $$$.

Rackit -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/28/2016 1:15:39 PM)

quote:

quote:

Yes. I was able to get the plastic cap off the Coravin cartridge with a couple pairs of channel lock pliers, but I'm sure the acetone works well.

I've been purchasing the Preservino Argon cartridges on Amazon, they have worked fine. The first time you have to push the plastic cap onto the Preservino as they are unthreaded, but after a time or two the plastic threads compress down and it isn't an issue.

The ones I use say Wine Innovations on the box and the cartridges ARE threaded. Easy Peeeezy!

Efrain -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/30/2016 5:49:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

The ones I use say Wine Innovations on the box and the cartridges ARE threaded. Easy Peeeezy!

This has worked for me with the original Coravin model. Just curious if the new versions of the Coravin also allow you to use other cartriges. Anyone know?

Rackit -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/30/2016 6:46:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Efrain

quote:

quote:

quote:

This has worked for me with the original Coravin model. Just curious if the new versions of the Coravin also allow you to use other cartriges. Anyone know?

I'm doing it with the second version of the Coravin.

ChrisinCowiche -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/14/2017 9:51:32 AM)

Reviving an old thread to ask...

What do you think of the Coravin TV ad, where their sales pitch is to (paraphrased) "keep the wine fresh for that first sip, because it won't be as fresh later on day two"?

bmuir40 -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/14/2017 10:46:45 AM)

I am a heavy Coravin user (2-3 times a week), and I found one thing that does NOT work
very well.

I left the Coravin in the cork, while drinking a full glass. I did this on the off chance I
wanted to pour a second glass, and wouldn't have to re-stab again. I'd say it was in the cork
for 30 min.

I pulled it out, and waited a while (maybe 2 hours), and tipped the bottle on it's side.
Wine poured out of the hole. It seems the cork retained a memory of the needle, and
did not re-seal. I didn't want to drink any more that night, and lost the rest of the bottle.

So now I have no fear of re-stabbing multiple times.

EugeneDiNapoli -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (12/14/2017 11:06:15 AM)

I use Corvin a lot too. I have found that there is a change in the wine the next time it is accessed especially if more than 250mls were caravanned the first time. Its not that the wine has gone bad, its still good, its just different than the first time it was accessed. Its a little more open, like it has been decanted but less so than if the cork had been removed and the bottle had been vacuumed sealed and put in the fridge. Obviously, its less noticeable for bigger wines. Great device and has really changed my drinking habits.

SWHighlander -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/2/2018 1:22:24 PM)

I've had my Coravin for about 2 years and use it frequently. It's one of the best presents I ever got from my wife. That said, it's a risk. I've accessed a bottle, waited several months, and then pulled the cork on it and re-tasted it -- along side an identical, previously un-accessed bottle. There is a difference that I can taste in about 1/3 to 1/5 of the bottles. Sometimes a subtle aeration (oxidation) that is not a bad thing in what it does to the wine, but sometimes its too much and on rare occasions the wine is ruined. The majority of wines I've accessed and then later tasted taste like they've never had a needle in it, though. It seems a bigger risk with a older cork. I personally would not use it with a 1962 Latour!

A couple of caveats:
1) When you Coravin wine through a needle into a glass, the wine does not get aerated as much as when you pop and pour from the bottle. Sometimes that makes Coravin wine taste a bit tighter and even slightly effervescent (?from the Argon). That seems to dissipate quickly, say the first 5 -15 minutes. Most of the time I don't notice this effect, though.

2) You have to really be sure what kind of cork you are putting the needle into. The company suggests you don't even need to remove the foil wrap over the cork -- just the put the needle through it. But if you try to put a needle through a fake cork or worse, a half cork like what is used for LBV port, you'll ruin the needle. And that is a $70 mistake!

ob2s -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/2/2018 3:45:29 PM)

The dense engineered corks, made with real cork bits have little or no memory, ie leak. You can tell when you take the capsule off, it is specked and often convex..... So these must be the cheapest for the cartridge substitutes now @ $4.22 shipped.
Preservino

ern1 -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/2/2018 8:08:01 PM)

So a unused coravin one model is on Craigslist for 25 bucks. At this price probably not much of a risk but has there been serious upgrades to newer models? Do first generation Coravins still perform adequately? I ve been perusing the thread but just wondering what thoughts you all had.

CranBurgundy -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/2/2018 8:11:25 PM)

Well, I think I can safely say nobody here would go bust over a $25 risk that didn't pan out.

ern1 -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/2/2018 8:15:08 PM)

Yeah I know. Just curious if there were any serious design flaws on first model. I need another wine gadget like I need.....well you know how that goes.
quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Well, I think I can safely say nobody here would go bust over a $25 risk that didn't pan out.

CranBurgundy -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/2/2018 8:16:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ern1

I need another wine gadget like I need.....

....another hole in the cork.

There's a better joke for this situation. I just couldn't find it immediately.

Hollowine -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/2/2018 10:01:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ern1

So a unused coravin one model is on Craigslist for 25 bucks. At this price probably not much of a risk but has there been serious upgrades to newer models? Do first generation Coravins still perform adequately? I ve been perusing the thread but just wondering what thoughts you all had.

I've got a Gen 1 Coravin, I'm not up to speed on any other upgrades except now I think they have a larger bore needle as an option or possibly included. I've stuck with the small needle for the aforementioned issues of cork memory and weeping from the hole. For this reason I usually keep a supply of toothpicks handy, and just simply plug the hole and break it off.

Sourdough -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/3/2018 7:46:06 PM)

Good idea Hollowine. Weeping has been my biggest complaint on Coravin and that is a great idea that should solve any problems I have had.

ern1 -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/3/2018 7:48:44 PM)

Well I went all "big spender" and threw down the 25 bones for the Coravin. Now we ll see if I am smart enough to operate it.

sinebubble -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/3/2018 8:47:33 PM)

The toothpick idea is interesting. I recently left a needle in for a bit longer than normal and it left a noticeable hole. Not sure how far down it went, so I melted some candle wax over it.

CranBurgundy -> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? (1/3/2018 8:54:39 PM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oyZJDBUzWc

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI