Australian Regional Blends (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections

andrew -> Australian Regional Blends (9/15/2013 4:18:16 PM)

Australia has a long tradition of blending grapes and wines from various regions in order to optimize the final product. (Penfold's Grange being the classic example.) As Australia's version of Appellations (GI or Geographical Indication) has gained traction and individual GIs have established strong brand identities, there is a small trend to put the combinations on the label. Wines will say something like "Hunter Valley / McLaren Vale."

We try to have as much fidelity to labels as possible and we hate to lose information, but the Cellartracker use of these combination GIs in the Appellation field has cause more problems than are made up for the few wines that legitimately use it. Automatic mapping functions, including our own, are just as likely to find 'Hunter Valley / McLaren Vale' as find just 'Hunter Valley.' Users have the same problem especially since very popular GIs like are located in sub-regions that nobody has heard of like 'Fleurieu' and a user searching for McLaren Vale will logically pick something that seems a little more sensible and without unknown terms. We have a situation where the vast majority of wines in combination Appellations really belong in one or the other. And when I say vast majority, I mean like 99.5%.

So, these combination Appellations are going away. I have already eliminated a bunch and am slowly working through the rest wine-by-wine. In cases where there is truly a multi-region wine, it will be assigned the logical super-region like South Eastern Australia or just Australia. We will try to note in the Wiki what the origin is. I really wish we could keep this level of detail, but these combinations have just become too much of a honey trap.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

A.

GraemeG -> RE: Australian Regional Blends (9/19/2013 5:23:10 PM)

Sounds sensible to me.
It seemed to be that most of the state-wide sub-region blends had already gradually migrated to the next highest chain in the pyramid anyway.
So most Coonawarra/Barossa blends (for example) just appeared as South Australia.

The basic rule is, once you've got two states involved, it'll just be Australia / South Eastern.
Unless it's got West Aust fruit in it, in which case it becomes 'Australia'.

If I come across any more myself I'll propose edits too.
cheers,
Graeme

GraemeG -> RE: Australian Regional Blends (9/19/2013 5:27:11 PM)

Although, looking at a recent modification (Brokenwood's Quail shiraz), I'm not sure that showing the appellation as part of the wine name - "South Eastern" in this case - helps the cause of clarity...
GG

Jim from Lerida -> RE: Australian Regional Blends (8/9/2015 7:03:27 PM)

Please note your entries under Australian Capital Territory suffer from a widespread misconception. There are in reality only 2 wineries in the Australian Capital Territory. These use the "Canberra District" GI. All of the other wineries listed in the Australian Capital Territory entry, which confusingly also use the "Canberra District" GI, are actually in New South Wales, and should be listed under the Australia regional entry. The problem is analogous to listing a Bethesda winery, if there is one, as Washington DC.

You might also note that while the relevant GI is tiny in production, the misconception is significant as the Canberra District GI produces some of the best wines in Australia and has the highest intensity of top-rated wineries in Australia.

andrew -> RE: Australian Regional Blends (8/10/2015 2:21:56 PM)

Fascinating. The existence of "Australian Capital Territory" as an Appellation in CT dates from when we used to let Appellations be created. When I cleaned up the data to reflect the actual AU GI list, I really just confirmed the existence of the GI and went from there. You are absolutely correct - the GI exists in the abstract, but not on the ground. I have moved all the wines we had with it to Canberra.

Cool. Thanks for educating me.

A.

MillarHouse -> RE: Australian Regional Blends (11/7/2015 11:24:14 PM)

Appellation=Gundagi should actually be spelt "Gundagai"... with the second "a" in there.
Is it possible to fix that?

Australia --> NSW ---> Southern NSW

andrew -> RE: Australian Regional Blends (11/9/2015 5:50:37 PM)

Fixed.

Thanks,

A.

Herbie Win -> RE: Australian Regional Blends (4/1/2020 3:22:39 PM)

Hi Andrew,
About Brokenwood Shiraz. It seems that the 'hunter valley' and the 'area blend' have been all wrapped up together. Is it possible for you to undo this?
Cheers

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI