What to pair with this soup? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

cookiefiend -> What to pair with this soup? (2/15/2014 10:00:35 AM)

Tonight we're having a late Valentine's dinner with some friends - we've got a chef coming to prepare everything so all we have to do is enjoy... and pair the wines.

The soup is roasted cauliflower and celery root with red onion compote.

Chardonnay or Pinot Noir?
That is the question.

We're currently thinking the 2004 Leeuwin Chardonnay Art Series.
What say you?

We're having venison loin for the entree and oh my the wines are going to be spectacular. '89 Heitz Martha's Vineyard, '94 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill, '99 Heitz Martha's Vineyard and an '04 Insignia. [:)]

BornToRhone -> RE: What to pair with this soup? (2/15/2014 10:08:40 AM)

I would stick with a Chardonnay - i am not familiar with the one you mentioned but I might think a full bodied chard would work better than an austere one.

Wine_Strategies -> RE: What to pair with this soup? (2/15/2014 10:15:37 AM)

The 04 Leeuwin Art is a great choice.

musedir -> RE: What to pair with this soup? (2/15/2014 10:35:50 AM)

Agree. The Chard.

aaronl3182 -> RE: What to pair with this soup? (2/15/2014 2:28:25 PM)

I make a cauliflower soup with leek and Chardonnay is the way we go. Enjoy, it sounds delicious!

ckinv368 -> RE: What to pair with this soup? (2/17/2014 9:21:05 PM)

How was the pairing?

cookiefiend -> RE: What to pair with this soup? (2/18/2014 7:29:17 AM)

Fantastic

We did go with the Leeuwin - heavy enough in body to stand up to the soup, perfect acidity to cut the richness (this soup was seriously rich and so delicious), and lovely ripe white fruit flavors (a hint of lemon, apple and maybe a smidge of pineapple) that really complemented the soup.
We started it with the salad (radicchio and endive with pistachio crusted goat cheese medallions and a Champagne vinaigrette) and it also was great with it!

Khamen -> RE: What to pair with this soup? (2/18/2014 10:57:19 AM)

Nice one Dawn, I love the 04 Art Series. Brilliant chard. I served it at my 40th actually [:)]

K

ckinv368 -> RE: What to pair with this soup? (2/19/2014 10:36:47 PM)

that really sounds fabulous! Good for you!!

We paired a wonderful lobster bisque on Sunday with a nice little Rose Champagne (nothing too fancy--Moet & Chandon Imperial), and it really was nice. A good wine just seems to make a good soup that much better!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI