UPC/EAN overhaul (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Release Notes

Eric -> UPC/EAN overhaul (10/10/2014 6:23:57 AM)

It feels good to scratch this one off my list, as I have been meaning to fix this for, gulp, about 7 years.

CellarTracker now allows multiple UPC/EAN codes per wine.

The UI is a little more forgiving now as well. If you scan a UPC into the regular search control, it takes you to the right screen and fires off a search.
If you scan a UPC on the screen where we intend you to use CellarTracker custom barcodes, we at least prompt as such and give you a link to the right search. (This will be harder if/when we support UPC-8.)
12-digit EAN codes that were converted from 12-digit UPC's are handled better (we try to keep the 12-digit flavor in the database, but a search with the 13-digit variant will still work).
If a UPC is attached to any vintage of a wine, a search on that UPC will show ALL vintages of the wine.
On the add wine screen, if you search on a UPC and get no results, on your next search we offer to let you attach the UPC to the first wine you pick. (This is only in the desktop site for the moment, but we will add this to the mobile site very shortly.)
Anyone can flag an erroneous UPC for deletion, and that immediately disqualifies it from searches. (Only a site editor can fully remove it though.)
Anyone can add a UPC.
While I was making changes to the add-wine screen, I made a number of the prompts (e.g. search with a vintage or search with no results) a lot more visible and friendly.

With all of the new changes, we have UPC's matching 490,000 wines. Things are a lot better now.

I have updated the FAQ here to be a bit less dour: https://www.cellartracker.com/content.asp?iContent=26

Eric -> RE: UPC/EAN overhaul (10/12/2014 1:48:55 AM)

It was a GREAT week for UPC. Version 1.1.0 of our iOS app is out. The scanner is MUCH better. (I have not had a single incorrect scan in 2 weeks of using the beta.)

And we have not implemented a simple UPC capture feature in all of our apps.
1) Search for a UPC with no results or incorrect results.
2) Search again and pick a wine.
3) A simple prompt to attach your UPC to the chosen wine.

People have added 400 new barcodes to the database in less than a day!

dpolivy -> RE: UPC/EAN overhaul (11/5/2014 4:10:54 PM)

I've made a few enhancements to the UPC handling in the app:

1) When scanning a UPC from any of the main search boxes, the results page now has an option to let you toggle between a global search of all wines, and just wines in your cellar.

2) If you scan a UPC from the "Add to My Cellar", "Drink or Remove" or "Add a Tasting Note" pages, the vintage buttons will now take you through to that next action directly (instead of going to the wine detail page as before).

Hopefully these make it easier to utilize UPCs in your task flows!

Dan

Tolstoi -> RE: UPC/EAN overhaul (11/24/2014 8:30:12 PM)

Hi Eric, I have upgraded on my IPhone 5 to the latest version. Yes there are improvements on scanner I can now scan bar code generated by Cellar Tracker and retrieve all the information about my specific bottle and it is much faster.
Meanwhile I when I scan the actuel bottle UPC code I constantly get error messages with CT. While If I perform the same exercise on Cor.kz I got the proper UPC code and all the wine info is shown.

By example:

I scanned a bottle of Capezzana 2007. on CT I got code 3024765888809
on Cor.kz I get code 8003765888809 and get the full information about the wine
The actual bottle read 8003765888809

I scanned a bottle of Barbaresco 2009 from Produttori del Barbaresco. On CT I got no code at all
on Cor.kz I get code 8025022000014 and get the full information about the wine.

Eric -> RE: UPC/EAN overhaul (11/24/2014 9:37:21 PM)

Well people have added about 15,000 barcodes since our iOS upgrade, and this is the first issue I have seen. Please take photographs of the offending UPC's and Mail them to support@cellartracker.com.

Tolstoi -> RE: UPC/EAN overhaul (11/25/2014 8:33:08 PM)

Hi Eric thanks for your support. I reboot my I phone today and retested with about 30 bottles of wines and CT always return the proper UPC code. It is now even more solid meaning I could now scan bottle in angle and bad lighting condition that I cannot achieved with Cor.cz. On the 30 bottles CT properly scanned all of them while Cor.Cz oculd not scan at all one of 30 labels.
That been said, there is good number of wines that were found in the Cor.cz database but not in by CT. By examble Chateau Grand-Puy Ducasse 2009 UPC 3284398002038. I always thought that Cor.cz was using CT for its database. Is it the case?

Eric -> RE: UPC/EAN overhaul (11/25/2014 9:23:45 PM)

That sounds much more like what we have seen since our app upgrade, terrific!

Cor.kz uses CT for everything, EXCEPT for a private cache of UPC/EAN codes that they have crowd sourced for the past few years. We will hopefully have a conversation about them supplying this back to me so that I can improve the platform for all. Otherwise, our app makes it easy for you to attach a UPC to a wine now, and our collection of codes has exploded over the past 6 weeks.

Tolstoi -> RE: UPC/EAN overhaul (11/26/2014 7:36:55 PM)

Thanks for the clarification.

I will kindly participate in the this effort with my modest wine collection.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI