Single Malt Scotch Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Hollowine -> Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/8/2008 7:43:44 PM)

Seemed there were a few that might be interested, and hey, it's being tracked in CT, therefore I think it is fair game to discuss here.

So I am fairly new to the world of Scotch, maybe the last two years or so. So I'd be curious to ask a couple questions of the group who enjoy this quaff...

1) How do you drink it? I've tended to like mine neat with a single small ice cube, but that may just be habit from my friend who introduced me.

2) Did you find your tastes evolved and what you liked initially isn't necessarily what you prefer now? I tend to like the really peaty Islay's, but I'm still relatively new.

3) The Port Cask aged and similar, gimmick or good? Haven't tried yet, but love Port so very curious.

tacman -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/8/2008 7:55:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Seemed there were a few that might be interested, and hey, it's being tracked in CT, therefore I think it is fair game to discuss here.

So I am fairly new to the world of Scotch, maybe the last two years or so. So I'd be curious to ask a couple questions of the group who enjoy this quaff...

1) How do you drink it? I've tended to like mine neat with a single small ice cube, but that may just be habit from my friend who introduced me.

2) Did you find your tastes evolved and what you liked initially isn't necessarily what you prefer now? I tend to like the really peaty Islay's, but I'm still relatively new.

3) The Port Cask aged and similar, gimmick or good? Haven't tried yet, but love Port so very curious.

I grew to love the Macallen 18, although as I blow off the cobwebs and search the liquor cabinet, I find only Glenlivet 18 and Balvenie 15 (neither of which I have touched in >6 years).  I agree with neat, sometimes only a couple of chips of ice.  My tastes did evolve ... only to older, which meant more $$.  Balvenie did some nice variants in port and sherry casks, maybe one other as well ... we did a tasting many years ago with some Hoyo de Monterrey double coronas.   Ahhh, the good old days.  Cheap, compared to what I spend now.
I may need to spin this thread over into a cognac/armagnac thread ... any interest?

TC

gbm -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/8/2008 8:02:04 PM)

Almost bed time for me, but I can't resist....

1. I don't know if you can call it neat once the ice cube hits the glass, but that's semantics.  I drink it neat with 2 or 3 ice cubes.  I know some people add water instead of ice.  If it was meant to have water, they would water it down before it got to you (see below on 'Cask Strength').  At least the ice cube makes it cold. 

2. I am a die hard Macallan fan.  I can drink some other Speysides, and I would be disowned if I couldn't enjoy a Jamesons, but the Islay is too peaty for me.  I haven't done too much exploration, but Im' working on it (I have a hard time shelling out $$$ for a bottle of whiskey when I could be buying wine instead.)

3. There are a lot of gimmicks coming out these days.  It's all about shelf space in the liquor store.  The more brands with your name, the more space you take up, the more you sell - or so I'm told.  For instance...Cask Strength.  Not to repeat myself, but if it was meant to be that strong in your glass, then they would have been selling it like that all along!  Port casks may add some flavor, but then it's not really the real thing anymore. 

At least, that's how I feel.  I'm not very opinionated....    [image]http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/image/s2.gif[/image]

gbm -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/8/2008 8:05:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

I may need to spin this thread over into a cognac/armagnac thread ... any interest?

TC

I began drinking Armagnac a few years back and became a big fan.  Supposedly it's good for the heart, too.  Some sort of aspirin effect I think.  Anyway, it's hard to come by here in the northeast, but I am working my way through a few bottles now.  Nothing vintage yet - wouldn't know where to start - just getting my feet wet.

tacman -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/8/2008 8:06:09 PM)

If/when you make it down to Austin, I promise a fresh bottle of old Macallan (like jumbo shrimp, is that an oxymoron ... )

tourette -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/8/2008 10:33:00 PM)

Macallans have been my favorite as well. They're really commanding quite a premium in the last year or two though. The 12 year is my stand-by special occasion scotch. I tried the 18 year a couple times and it was wonderful. I have a bottle of 21 year Glenlivet archive collection that was a wedding present. Its on an even level to the Macallan 18 year as well. Delicious stuff.

geppetto -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 12:28:45 AM)

I have recently been exploring the world of scotch and have a number of bottles on the go.  My favorite so far is a bottle of 21 year old Glengoyne.  It is absolutely wonderful.

I invited some friends over a couple of weeks ago and we held our own little scotch tasting. 

14 year old Oban
18 year old Macallan
21 year old Glengoyne
12 year old Glenlivet
10 year old Aberlour
Johnnie Walker Black Label (a blend)
Johnnie Wlaker Gold Label (a blend)
Johnnie Walker Blue Label (a blend)

The Glengoyne was head and shoulders the favorite of the group, with the JW Blue coming a close second.  The Glenlivet was a very strong third (and far less costly than most of the others).  I was amazed at how distinct each tasted in the side-by-side comparison.

I don't add water or ice to the scotch, as water can damage older, more fragile scotch.  In addition, I prefer the scotch to warm up in my glass as I hold it.  The nose changes drmatically as the scotch warms...  Scotch generally requires water to release the full flavor potential, but the safest approach is to take a sip of fresh, cold water to cleanse your palate.  The residual water in your mouth is just about perfect to help release the flavors.

nwinther -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 1:45:29 AM)

I think the "Cask Strength" bottles that are emergeing is made so you, the consumer, can tweak the wine yourself. At least, I've read on the boxes, that the CS are not supposed to be drunk neat, unless you favor a very strong experience, but rather to give you the oppertunity to in-/decrease the flavor-density of your favored scotch.

While it may be a gimmick, I don't find it withouyt merit.

Sadly, I don't like scotch (or most other hard licquers) myself. Though I'd love to love it.

pjaines -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 2:22:53 AM)

I always add a tiny splash of spring water.  I think it releases some of the flavours.  It is probably not true, but it is a habit now,.

Highland Park and Macallan are mainstays in my house.

Wrighty -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 3:56:24 AM)

I'm a single ice cube person myself, don't know why, just do it. Used to to a splash of water but it changed to ice.

Tend to buy the Jura and then Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. Not to keen on those with TCP in them!

Had a Scotish friend in London whose father sent her obscure whiskies from the Whisky Society, each of which had to be consumed in specific ways; with water, neat, ice etc. Would love to sign up and get them to HK but doubt they ship out of Scotland.

cjsavino -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 6:56:04 AM)

I had always enjoyed a scotch or a small batch bourbon, then a few years ago I was introduced to single malts.  The two I have really enjoyed are Lagavulin and Laphroaig, both are very smokey.  When having these it can be like having a cigar and your scotch at the same time.  As for serving, a small glass and a couple of ice cubes to help release the flavors.  For the Lahphroaig besides the smoke, you can almost taste the salt air, kind of marsh grass, just wonderful.

wadcorp -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 7:48:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbm

If it was meant to have water, they would water it down before it got to you…

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

I always add a tiny splash of spring water. I think it releases some of the flavours.

Two different approaches to single-malts.

When we went to Scotland in 2000 we visited a few distilleries. Okay… a whole bunch of distilleries. Across the board, the Scots thought most Americans were insane to drink scotch "neat". To a man, they all said one should add just a little bit of water to "open up the scotch".

When trying a single-malt for the first time, that's the method I go by.

At home, I'm a total philistine: I usually throw in a couple of cubes of ice & swirl it around. I confess, I do like my scotch to be cold, not room temperature.

While wine is by far my favourite alcoholic beverage currently, I do have a scotch (or two) at least once a week.

Currently on hand in the cellar:

Oban 14 yr.

Edradour 10 yr.

Glenfarclas 15 yr. (in the old square bottle they don't make any more)

Glenlivet 12 yr.

Macallan 12 yr.

Arran Malt Non-Chill Filtered NV

Arran 10 yr.

Benromach 18 yr.

Lagavulin 16 yr.

Balvenie Double-Wood 12 yr.

Know there are one or two others I'm not remembering right now.

gbm -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 7:57:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geppetto

Johnnie Walker Black Label (a blend)
Johnnie Wlaker Gold Label (a blend)
Johnnie Walker Blue Label (a blend)

I've tried several of the Johnnie Walkers.  There is even a green label, though I forget exactly what the significance is.  The Blue Label was fantastic.

quote:

I always add a tiny splash of spring water.  I think it releases some of the flavours. 

I have been told the same things about water opening up the flavors.  I was hoping to stir discussion with my comments on water vs. ice and it worked.  Thanks, too, for not pointing out the obvious - adding ice is nearly the same as adding (cold) water!! 

Water does have an effect.  I have tried my Scotch cold (from the freezer - in a relative's house where there were no ice cubes on hand) with no ice or water added and it just isn't the same.

NiklasW -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 1:32:33 PM)

quote:

I have tried my Scotch cold (from the freezer - in a relative's house where there were no ice cubes on hand) with no ice or water added and it just isn't the same.

Scotch from the freezer! [:o] Sacrilege! That's how we drink vodka, it's so cold it numbs the tongue, so you don't have to taste the ethanol! [&:]

gbm -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 1:36:40 PM)

I know, I know....it really was awful.   [image]http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/image/s12.gif[/image]

RoundersRob -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 2:11:56 PM)

i haven't had a lot of experience with Scotch but my brother in law is a big scotch drinker.   A few years ago I got him a bottle of Auchentoshan  ( http://www.auchentoshan.co.uk/auth/ ) for around $250 for a 750ml bottle as a Christmas gift.  It was really quite amazing stuff.

Eric K -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 2:20:54 PM)

My standard drinkers are the Macallan 12 and the Balvenie Double Wood 12.  Both are great for the money.  I preffered the Balvenie 12 to the 15 actually. 
Anyone try the Bowmore 18 Islay which won gold medals in San Fran last year (at least the ad says so).  Cannot find it locally.

Hollowine -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/9/2008 5:37:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: waterdr

I had always enjoyed a scotch or a small batch bourbon, then a few years ago I was introduced to single malts.  The two I have really enjoyed are Lagavulin and Laphroaig, both are very smokey.  When having these it can be like having a cigar and your scotch at the same time.  As for serving, a small glass and a couple of ice cubes to help release the flavors.  For the Lahphroaig besides the smoke, you can almost taste the salt air, kind of marsh grass, just wonderful.

That is pretty much the same thoughts I have, the Lahphroaig is probably my favorite right now, but have also had Lagavulin, Oban, Macallan 12. I knew I had heard something about the water, so it doesn't make me feel so strange doing the single ice cube now. Great thread everyone, thanks...

grafstrb -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/10/2008 2:28:57 AM)

quote:

re: #3 - I don't know ... haven't tried any of these funky finish single malts yet

re: #2: my tastes have yet to evolve ... I set out on liking scotch when I was 20 ... first bottle was Dewar's 12 blended - it was tolerable, but I knew it must get better ... bottles 2 & 3 were 12yr versions of Glenfiddich and Glenlivet - both were better than the Dewars 12 year, but I still wasn't impressed ... I decided it was put-up or shut-up time for single malts for me, so to give it all a fair shot I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yr for $55 -- I have been in love since that time.  Lagavulin is still my favorite single-malt.  Others I enjoy as well: Laphroig, Talisker, Ardbeg, Aberlour, Bowmore, Cragganmore, Longmorn, Highland Park.  

re: #1: I tend to drink my single-malts neat ... I sip them at room temperature over an extended period of time ... sometimes i'll add a drop or two of water, but usually I just drink 'em neat ... without ever previously taking note of it, I agree with geppetto's comment about the residual water left on your palate after taking a sip as being sufficient water to open-up a single-malt's flavors. 

Ricardo -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/10/2008 9:04:12 AM)

The Scotch Whisky association has a map of most of the distilleries at the following address, together with their website addresses, which could be useful – nicely grouped geographically (Islay, Speyside etc.)

http://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/swa/71.html

pjaines -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/10/2008 9:13:26 AM)

I have now been labelled as "a man with a drink problem" after my boss found me with a wine page open and now a whisky page in the space of 10 mins.

Excellent web page Ricardo. 

deb293 -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/10/2008 6:25:28 PM)

An interesting and accessible Scotch you may never have heard of is Sheep Dip.  One of the partners in my last firm liked it.  It's kind of sweet (a la the Speyside malts) and is actually quite tasty.

deb293 -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (12/10/2008 6:31:39 PM)

Die-hard Scotch drinkers swear by adding a splash of water.  What no one has ever explained to me is why this is never considered with Cognac or Armagnac.  It can't be simply because one is barley-based and the others grape-based.

This is a fun link http://www.singlemalt.tv/ if you're a single malt fan.  All Scotch all the time.

jhannah27 -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (10/3/2009 3:28:37 PM)

I thought I would re-up this thread as I have been craving a little scotch recently. Based on a couple recommendations here, and because it was in the price range I wanted to spend, I went out and got a Highland Park 12 year. Never had it before, so I am looking forward to it.

Probably have a splash or two tonight and I'll post later what I think.

hankj -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (10/3/2009 5:11:58 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: waterdr

That is pretty much the same thoughts I have, the Lahphroaig is probably my favorite right now, but have also had Lagavulin, Oban, Macallan 12. I knew I had heard something about the water, so it doesn't make me feel so strange doing the single ice cube now. Great thread everyone, thanks...

+1 to these two endorsements of Laphroaig - lots of delicious strong flavors.  Last time I went backpacking the weather turned unexpectedly cold and snowy on the last tired night.  One of the guys snuck in a bottle of Laphroaig and saved it for the occassion.  God bless this wise and handsome man.

cgrimes -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (10/3/2009 9:40:35 PM)

Last winter a friend of mine hosted a Scotch tasting party where we tasted small amounts of 15 Single Malts in one evening.  I was struck by the huge variation in taste and style, and gained an appreciation for Single Malt.  Since that time I have bought a different bottle each month.  I try to get different styles to please anyone who might come over.  I started with the Balvenie 15 single barrel and still find it one of my favorites.  My other for dark, stormy, raw nights is Lagavulin 16.  It has been fun getting to know Scotch, and I can be satisfied with a tiny amount.  I like it best room (or cellar) temperature with a tiny splash of spring water.

jhannah27 -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (10/4/2009 11:07:11 AM)

I had the Highland Park last night and quite enjoyed it.  Still just in the beginning of my journey through scotch, this was one of the first where I noticed a distinct difference between it and ones that I have had in the past (JW Blue & Macallan 12...but they were almost 5 yrs apart).  I found the Highland Park to be well balanced and smooth, with mild peat and creamy caramel into a soft smoky finish.  What a lovely texture this stuff had.  It was the sweetness that took me by surprise and made this scotch so unique in my experience.  Most of what I have had in the past is much more driven by the charred oak and peat flavors. 

While I thoroughly enjoyed this, I think I actually prefer something that has a little less sweet and with a little more bite and charred earthy flavors, and if I can find something that maintains the creamy, smooth texture of this scotch  I think it might be a winner in my book.

tacman -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (10/4/2009 11:22:00 AM)

Rainy and cooler ... had a nip of Tesseron lot 53 XO cognac last night before calling it quits.
Mmmm!

bretrooks -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (10/4/2009 5:23:46 PM)

I've tried a handful of different bottles myself, although I go through my Scotch pretty slowly and have yet to really splurge on anything.  My preference is to have it room temperature with a couple drops of water in it, in the evening, and with friends when possible...

As far as what I've tasted, my quick favorites have been Lagavulin (although I recently tasted a bottle that was unpleasantly iodine-y) and Highland Park.  I'm in the middle of a bottle of Cragganmore 12, which has been very enjoyable in a lighter, aromatic style.  Great for summer.

Paul S -> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread (10/4/2009 7:25:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

quote:

If it was meant to have water, they would water it down before it got to you…

quote:

I always add a tiny splash of spring water. I think it releases some of the flavours.

Two different approaches to single-malts.

When we went to Scotland in 2000 we visited a few distilleries. Okay… a whole bunch of distilleries. Across the board, the Scots thought most Americans were insane to drink scotch "neat". To a man, they all said one should add just a little bit of water to "open up the scotch".

When trying a single-malt for the first time, that's the method I go by.

At home, I'm a total philistine: I usually throw in a couple of cubes of ice & swirl it around. I confess, I do like my scotch to be cold, not room temperature.

While wine is by far my favourite alcoholic beverage currently, I do have a scotch (or two) at least once a week.

Currently on hand in the cellar:

Oban 14 yr.

Edradour 10 yr.

Glenfarclas 15 yr. (in the old square bottle they don't make any more)

Glenlivet 12 yr.

Macallan 12 yr.

Arran Malt Non-Chill Filtered NV

Arran 10 yr.

Benromach 18 yr.

Lagavulin 16 yr.

Balvenie Double-Wood 12 yr.

Know there are one or two others I'm not remembering right now.

Good list! I am quite a die-hard single malt fan, and I enjoy much of what you listed there. Tastes have changed through the years though. I started with Macallan, Glenlivet and Glenmorangie... found them rather anonymous after awhile at the younger bottlings. The older ones (i.e. 30 years and above) are just too expensive. Moved on to the smaller distilleries, went to Highland, and then Islay for the peat, and the current flavour of the month is Speyside.

Just started trying Japanese single-malts very recently. They are REALLY good. Surprised no one mentioned them! The Yamazaki 18-year is a very, very fine whisky.

My favourites, from younger bottling to older:

Coal Islay 10 yr (a very nice 10yr!)
Balvenie Double-Wood 12 yr
Benromach 18 yr (very different - almost passion-fruit like on the nose)
Highland Park 18 yr (best 18 yr on the market I think - smooth, balanced, refined)
Yamazaki 18 yr
Strathisla 25 yr (my absolute favourite at the moment)
one of two of the Laphroiag bottlings have given quite a bit of pleasure as well.

For the record, it is so darn warm in Singapore that drinking Scotch without ice is kinda yucky for me. I like it on the rocks, preferably with one giant ice cube rather than two or three smaller ones. A bit mamjo-jumbo actually, but I like to think that the water melted from the ice-cube does open up the flavours, but I also think that swirling too many small ice-cubes around hurts the more fragile whiskies.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI