NWR: I just read/am reading.... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Yossarian -> NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/6/2015 3:52:05 PM)

.....James Ellory Blood's a Rover....a few years after I read American Tabloid and The Cold 6,000

What great american literature.

I have Perfidia lined up for holiday. So much intensity on one page,,,,,,,,,

mtpisgah -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/6/2015 6:42:14 PM)

I recently finished The Martian, it was a great read and I can't wait for the movie. I also read The Nightengale. It was ok overall, very good at times, and I would recommend it in general.

Now I reading real literature, Dennis Lehane. Ooooh.

musedir -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/6/2015 6:55:30 PM)

Just ordered for Dr. M, The Woman in the Photograph.

Hollowine -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/6/2015 10:28:47 PM)

Last book completed was Neptune (story of D-Day invasion)...excellent!

Currently reading The Billion Dollar Spy about a cold war Russian engineer who was the most valuable spy ever run in Moscow

annerk -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/7/2015 5:56:50 AM)

Go Set a Watchman which left me very sad.
Diary of a Single Wedding Planner which was the book version of a chick flick.

Eddie -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/7/2015 6:16:19 AM)

I'm currently reading The Secret Teachings of Plants (subtitled The Intelligence of the Heart in the Direct Perception of Nature), by Stephen Harrod Buhner. It's a profoundly enlightening book, and I highly recommend it; but Buhner's writing style is ponderous and verbose, and it makes for a very slow read. A chapter a week is about all I can manage.

Lately I read The Stephenville UFO by Ken Cherry (a real page-turner, and a very fast read), and the following works by T. Lobsang Rampa:

The Third Eye
Doctor From Lhasa
The Rampa Story
You Forever
which are available freely on line at the links provided. These are both enlightening and fast reads.

PinotPhile -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/7/2015 1:51:18 PM)

Wine Related: Matt Kramer's True Taste: The Seven Essential Wine Words.

Quick little read, enjoyable sort of, but not much there there IMHO. Could be missing something....

NWR: Lisa Genova's Still Alice.

I like to read certain books before seeing the "mainstream" movies. We rarely see dramas as we find comedies and sci fi w/good visual effects to be more entertaining.

DH finished The Martian in one day. Said it is a classic engineer's book. He, too, is looking forward to the movie. Said he might break his standard rule and actually see it in a theater. We usually just rent movies for $1 at the local library.

Cheers!

Slye -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/7/2015 3:28:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Last book completed was Neptune (story of D-Day invasion)...excellent!

Currently reading The Billion Dollar Spy about a cold war Russian engineer who was the most valuable spy ever run in Moscow

Oh I have that but have not started it yet. Is it worth reading?

I have a number of things going at the moment. I am into volume four of My Life my Karl Ove Knausgaard. Both serious and light at times.

On the light side, Porterhouse Blues (a 1970s satire about U of Cambridge life).

On the heavier side, I have been dabbling in Diarmaid MacCulloch's Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years

Also had read a little bit of Emma Sky's The Unraveling: High Hopes and Missed Opportunities in Iraq; and Gerald Felix Warburg's Dispatches from the Eastern Front: A Political Education -- both to get ideas for something I am in the process of writing.

wineismylife -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/8/2015 8:32:17 AM)

Another one here for The Martian.

wadcorp -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/8/2015 10:58:35 AM)

Re-reading Frank Herbert's Dune for the third time.

I haven't read it since the 1980s, but thought it was time to pick it up again.

cookiefiend -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/8/2015 11:18:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Re-reading Frank Herbert's Dune for the third time.

Funny! I've been thinking of re-reading that one as well! Great minds Phil, great minds!

I'm reading:

The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy - a post-apocalyptic reimagining of the Lewis and Clark saga, a super flu and nuclear fallout have made a husk of the world we know. A few humans carry on, living in outposts such as the Sanctuary-the remains of St. Louis. Against the wishes of the Sanctuary, a small group sets out in secrecy. Led by Lewis Meriwether and Mina Clark, they hope to expand their infant nation, and to reunite the States. But the Sanctuary will not allow them to escape without a fight (from Goodreads.com)
This reminds me a little of The Stand by Stephen King, its really interesting.

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray - this one cracks me up. Skippy really does die right at the beginning of the book. It's about teenage boys in an Irish boarding school, some bullies, some odd ones, some hilarious. The writing is very good - I'm really enjoying this one. The blurb on Goodreads was awful - so I didn't include it.

I use Goodreads… uh… a lot.

PinotPhile -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/8/2015 2:10:38 PM)

David McCullough has a 2015 release of a bio: The Wright Brothers. Have never read his works before, but this one looked pretty interesting. On the wait list at our library. My standard practice. We have a great library; they even take purchase requests. Many of my requests have been honored, too.

periko -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/8/2015 3:13:55 PM)

Just read Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 (book 1&2)
Reading: This (happens to be wine related)
[image]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c258/periko/4164ZIOzUL._SX375_BO1204203200__zpsggdf8ya3.jpg[/image]

Old Doug -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/8/2015 3:55:30 PM)

Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel's first book in her series about Thomas Cromwell and the times of King Henry the 8th of England. My wife loved it, was nearly despondent when she finished it, only to have me tell her that right on the front cover it says "Book One of the Thomas Cromwell Trilogy," ooh back to being overjoyed on her part, though cognizant of a smart-ass husband.

For myself, the book barely held my interest in the beginning. Now, on page 346 of 604, I guess I'm hooked enough to go for the three books; wouldn't want to stop without finding out all what happens. It really is very well done; perhaps I just wasn't in the mood when I began it.

Blue Shorts -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/8/2015 4:00:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

Everyone I know that read that book said something similar. Atticus Finsh is such a hero in To Kill a Mockingbird that it must be devastating to see him as hateful. I decided to skip that book. Maybe I'll read it eventually, but To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorites.

bretrooks -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/9/2015 4:07:50 PM)

At the moment, I'm just starting into my book club's next selection: Rise to Rebellion by Jeff Shaara. Maybe not a book I would have chosen off the shelf, but I've enjoyed the first couple of chapters. I've also started Notes on a Cellar-Book by George Saintsbury, but the dated and highly allusive writing makes that slow going.

Other recent reads: My Bright Abyss by Christian Wiman, Momo by Michael Ende.

Periko, how did you like 1Q84? I've read and enjoyed a few Murakami books, but it's been a while since the last one.

Stirling -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/9/2015 8:15:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

quote:

Everyone I know that read that book said something similar. Atticus Finsh is such a hero in To Kill a Mockingbird that it must be devastating to see him as hateful. I decided to skip that book. Maybe I'll read it eventually, but To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorites.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

I cannot do it. To Kill a Mockingbird was simply too important a part of my life and formation. To the extent that I have any integrity as a man today, I owe to the fact that I read Harper Lee as a teenager.

tantotinto -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/10/2015 9:07:10 AM)

Delete.

tantotinto -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/10/2015 9:11:31 AM)

Missed the quote first time. Really looking forward to number three.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel's first book in her series about Thomas Cromwell and the times of King Henry the 8th of England. My wife loved it, was nearly despondent when she finished it, only to have me tell her that right on the front cover it says "Book One of the Thomas Cromwell Trilogy," ooh back to being overjoyed on her part, though cognizant of a smart-ass husband.

For myself, the book barely held my interest in the beginning. Now, on page 346 of 604, I guess I'm hooked enough to go for the three books; wouldn't want to stop without finding out all what happens. It really is very well done; perhaps I just wasn't in the mood when I began it.

annerk -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/10/2015 9:25:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

quote:

It wasn't just Atticus. Nothing was wrapped up at the end. We had no closure. TKAM ended with Scout meeting Mr. Aurthur Radley, Bob Ewell dying, and Tom Robinson dying because he was an honorable black man. Each of the primary protagonists and antagonists had an end to the story. The reader was left sad but uplifted at the same time.

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT BELOW

It was also that Jem was dead. Boo Radley was MIA. So much could have been said/done between Walter Cummingham and Miss Jean Louise but it was left to slide away like melting ice cream. And Zeebo. Sweet Zeebo, the smart, warm, caring Zeebo set up like he was. Also Calpurnia. Did she love Jean Louise like a daughter, or was she just doing her job? So many questions, so many open holes, so much left unsaid and not even alluded to.

annerk -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/10/2015 9:27:34 AM)

Done with fun books, back to wine texts.

Stirling -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/10/2015 7:26:21 PM)

Ahhhhhhh.....wine texts!

skifree -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/10/2015 9:05:59 PM)

"Red Joan" by Jennie Rooney, just at the beginning. I like spy books, but this has not grabbed me yet.

f22nickell -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/11/2015 6:58:37 AM)

Re-reading C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity for the (?) time ... Always compelled to return to this classic every couple of years.

hankj -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/11/2015 6:16:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: f22nickell

Re-reading C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity for the (?) time ... Always compelled to return to this classic every couple of years.

nice Scott

hankj -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/11/2015 6:27:05 PM)

Recently: Hamlet, complete short stories of Julio Cortazar, complete short stories for Jorge Luis Borges, some Kant, a polemic, though rational and probably right, argument for pitbull bans called Misunderstood Nanny Dogs?, Henry Miller's The Air-conditioned Nightmare, neuroscientist Sam Harris' Waking Up, A guide to Spirituality Without Religion.

Currently: Kitchen Confidential, Kipling's The Jungle Book to my 6 year old at night - definitely richer than the Disney Version

Chip Merlot -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/12/2015 7:01:09 AM)

quote:

Kipling's The Jungle Book to my 6 year old at night - definitely richer than the Disney Version

This is probably true for every book Disney turned into a movie. You might also try "101 Dalmatians" by Dodie Smith. I read the book as a kid (in the '60s) and held onto it and then read it to my kids when they were little. It was a really nice novel with beautiful line illustrations before it was turned into a cartoon. And semi-serious -- e.g., the henchmen are not buffoon-ish as in the Disney productions.

Chip Merlot -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/12/2015 7:07:33 AM)

I'm currently reading "The Goldfinch," by Donna Tartt, which won the Pulitzer for fiction last year. I'm about 15% into it (via Kindle) and it's absolutely riveting. Reminds me a bit of "Catcher in the Rye" as the male protagonist's story begins.

hankj -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/12/2015 7:28:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chip Merlot

quote:

Kipling's The Jungle Book to my 6 year old at night - definitely richer than the Disney Version

This is probably true for every book Disney turned into a movie. You might also try "101 Dalmatians" by Dodie Smith. I read the book as a kid (in the '60s) and held onto it and then read it to my kids when they were little. It was a really nice novel with beautiful line illustrations before it was turned into a cartoon. And semi-serious -- e.g., the henchmen are not buffoon-ish as in the Disney productions.

Thanks I'll "check it out" next

Stirling -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/12/2015 7:56:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chip Merlot

I'm currently reading "The Goldfinch," by Donna Tartt, which won the Pulitzer for fiction last year. I'm about 15% into it (via Kindle) and it's absolutely riveting. Reminds me a bit of "Catcher in the Rye" as the male protagonist's story begins.

I must find that. I read her first, A Secret History, which I believe won the Booker Prize. Terrific book, terrific author.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI