RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

champagneinhand -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/12/2015 11:49:40 PM)

I read weird stuff. Mostly reference manuals. But I too, like seeing a film or something on the Tele and I have to go back and find the source books. I'm going to look for that trilogy on Cromwell. I need a break from auto repair manuals and cookbooks. I do havev these up already. Me, Earl and the Dying girl. Great movie. Also up is The Perks of being a Wallflower. Loved the film and the soundtrack.

As far as wine, I never seem to have Inside Burgundy on the bookshelves long and I love rereading 1001 wines to taste before dying. Really a guide to much of my purchasing habits over the past 9 years.

cookiefiend -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/13/2015 6:50:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stirling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chip Merlot

I'm currently reading "The Goldfinch," by Donna Tartt, which won the Pulitzer for fiction last year. I'm about 15% into it (via Kindle) and it's absolutely riveting. Reminds me a bit of "Catcher in the Rye" as the male protagonist's story begins.

I must find that. I read her first, A Secret History, which I believe won the Booker Prize. Terrific book, terrific author.

The Goldfinch is even better - I loved it.

PinotPhile -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/13/2015 10:39:33 PM)

Not a surprise to me that this crowd seems literary. I can't imagine not reading books.

Maybe the beginnings of a CTer book club, in brief/of sorts?

Got curious as to stats on those who actually read books. Here is one interesting link:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/01/16/a-snapshot-of-reading-in-america-in-2013/

Old Doug -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/15/2015 6:51:00 AM)

Used to read a lot. Then in 1996 I got a computer.

Stirling -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/15/2015 8:20:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Used to read a lot. Then in 1996 I got a computer.

Ha! Ain't that the truth!

Stirling -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/15/2015 8:21:05 AM)

BTW, on the subject of reading, what wine pairs best with a good book? I would say Port.

fingers -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/15/2015 8:25:29 AM)

quote:

BTW, on the subject of reading, what wine pairs best with a good book? I would say Port.

Ah yes, but what book?

Vonnegut sounds like a good pairing

annerk -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/15/2015 10:01:08 AM)

I've spent a lot of time with the World Atlas of Wine lately. Fascinating reading, but I really wish the font was even a point larger.

wineismylife -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/15/2015 10:03:19 AM)

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

Eddie -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/15/2015 10:54:55 AM)

quote:

Naahh.....Amontillado or Oloroso.

Slye -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/15/2015 2:52:11 PM)

I would go more with sherry, but port is not bad!

Just started reading Haruki Murakami's first two novellas, that were just published. I like him a lot -- some of his stuff is brilliant; some okay and a bit derivative. But a nice mix of entertaining/easy to read, and thoughtful.

PinotPhile -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/15/2015 4:01:19 PM)

I read somewhere that Amarone is a very contemplative wine, so that might be a candidate if paired with a book intended to provoke thought vs. to entertain. Have not yet had Amarone but it is on my cellar strategy list.

Slye -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/15/2015 5:35:01 PM)

Amarone can be very contemplative -- and even port like. Using the criteria of contemplative, then any excellent wine would do. I could see a great old Bordeaux, or one of the better Cayuse, or loads of other things.

cookiefiend -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/17/2015 7:18:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

Not a surprise to me that this crowd seems literary. I can't imagine not reading books.

Maybe the beginnings of a CTer book club, in brief/of sorts?

I would love to keep this thread going - I'm always curious about what others are reading!

I'm almost done with 'Swan Song' by Robert McCammon - an post-appocolyptic story, a bit too gruesome for my tastes (but hey - demons are supposed to be gruesome right?) and I think I like Stephen King's 'The Stand' better.

Old Doug -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/17/2015 8:29:40 PM)

Open a bottle of Chateau Figeac, open a book.

Ricardo -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/18/2015 9:39:47 AM)

quote:

I read somewhere that Amarone is a very contemplative wine, so that might be a candidate if paired with a book intended to provoke thought vs. to entertain. Have not yet had Amarone but it is on my cellar strategy list.

You'd probably have to turn off Marcel Proust and turn on Harry Potter somewhere along the second bottle though...

PinotPhile -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/18/2015 11:00:19 AM)

Just finished Brain Maker by Daniel Perlmutter. Lots of physiology, but helpful ideas especially for those at risk for Alzheimer's and those, like me, who just prefer to use lifestyle as the first line of defense. And, wine is included in the recommendations.

Now reading Jon Bonne's new book on CA wine. Thoughts to follow when I'm done, but better than I thought it would be thus far.

Cheers!

Slye -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/18/2015 11:59:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

You'd probably have to turn off Marcel Proust and turn on Harry Potter somewhere along the second bottle though...

Laughing -- so true.

PinotPhile -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/18/2015 2:50:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

Laughing -- so true.

Haven't had Amarone, haven't read Harry Potter (nor seen the movies, for that matter). Just might work! Cheers![:D]

wineismylife -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/20/2015 3:28:25 PM)

"The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins

Slye -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/20/2015 6:45:22 PM)

Just started "The Dispossessed" by Ursula Le Guin. A cheap reprint at my local independent bookstore. I have always wanted to dip into Le Guin -- I loved SF as a kid, but then sort of outgrew it. I think the fact that I have never read her before, and the political overlay of the book --- both in its content and in the context in which it was written -- has made it that more accessible and enjoyable. It is a really good read so far (after about 60 pages or so).

f22nickell -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/20/2015 9:13:22 PM)

quote:

Just started "The Dispossessed" by Ursula Le Guin. A cheap reprint at my local independent bookstore. I have always wanted to dip into Le Guin -- I loved SF as a kid, but then sort of outgrew it. I think the fact that I have never read her before, and the political overlay of the book --- both in its content and in the context in which it was written -- has made it that more accessible and enjoyable. It is a really good read so far (after about 60 pages or so).

Interesting. Let me know how the allusions to the time it was written (1970s I believe?) relate to the current political/societal climate.

Slye -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/21/2015 9:28:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: f22nickell

quote:

Interesting. Let me know how the allusions to the time it was written (1970s I believe?) relate to the current political/societal climate.

Oh not current -- I meant the political currents at the time. Cold War, flirting with alternative political systems, the rise of feminism, etc. I am hard pressed to name fiction that accurately captures today -- both because I/we are probably to close to it to see the whole, and with the rise of the internet and cable TV there are so many currents, or as some say so much noise, it is hard to see the forest for the trees.

Now Scott, you are trying to push me into a political discussion. Very bad! :-)

wadcorp -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/21/2015 1:06:27 PM)

quote:

Just started "The Dispossessed" by Ursula Le Guin.

Love Le Guin. Her book, The Lathe Of Heaven is a classic.

champagneinhand -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/21/2015 8:23:23 PM)

I've had "The Last Patriot," on deck. I bought it while it was still in hardback.

The last great read was "Perfume, a story of murder." I really want to try and read it in German if I ever could get fluent enough.

Lots of stuff is good on the kindle or nook apps but if it's a book I think will be really good, I want it in hardback. Sadly I've almost forgot how expensive it is to move boxes of hardbacks.

I've really enjoyed "The Camel Club," by David Baldacci. But those were years ago. When driving up and down I-95, I will by unabridged audio books. Same if I am driving cross country to Vegas. The last one was called High Voltage, or something like that. Entertaining enough but nothing awe inspiring. It gave me a better appreciation for Doug's occupation.

PinotPhile -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/29/2015 10:46:08 AM)

Just finished the book by Jon Bonne':

The new California wine : a guide to the producers and wines behind a revolution in taste

I was not necessarily a fan of Bonne', but it looked interesting enough to check out at the library. Better than I expected, with a good blend of history and current winemaking. Helped me to understand why some of the wines from people like Ted Lemon, Paul Draper, and others are so expensive. He offers a broad selection of wines to consider, although most of the juice is at the $40+ price point. Still, I found 30+ wines priced more attractively to track for my potential buy list. May not be a read enjoyed by those who only enjoy what I call big, New World-style wines. But for those like me who drink across the spectrum, a decent read. Cheers!

EW_1 -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/30/2015 1:56:50 PM)

I enjoyed Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil, by Tom Mueller. I had no idea how much fake extra virgin olive oil is out there, nor the extent to which many people and companies are either knowingly, half-knowingly, or unwittingly involved. Gave me a better appreciation for the simple pleasures of good extra virgin olive oil, too. If you want a shorter version that is also written by the book's author, see the 2007 New Yorker article on the same topic: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/08/13/slippery-business

Currently reading some sci-fi: Seveneves by local Seattle author Neal Stephenson. What would happen if the moon broke apart into pieces? What on (or off) earth would we do?

NurseDave -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/31/2015 7:28:34 AM)

I finished A Vineyard in Napa about the Schafer family and their journey to making a successful winery. This was much better than I was expecting with a lot of facts and stories not just about their vineyards, but the Napa wine area and industry as a whole. It has grown so fast that they were part of many changes so it was interesting to see how the Napa we know now was formed over the last few decades.

cookiefiend -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (8/31/2015 10:33:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EW_1

Currently reading some sci-fi: Seveneves by local Seattle author Neal Stephenson. What would happen if the moon broke apart into pieces? What on (or off) earth would we do?

I've been debating on this one, I read Quicksilver and got a bit bogged down in it… I'm concerned this might be the same for me and I love Sci-fi.

Now I'm reading Billy Bathgate by D.L. Doctorow (book club) and A Vineyard in My Glass by Gerald Asher.

Old Doug -> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... (9/1/2015 2:45:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: EW_1

I've been debating on this one, I read Quicksilver and got a bit bogged down in it… I'm concerned this might be the same for me and I love Sci-fi.

Now I'm reading Billy Bathgate by D.L. Doctorow (book club) and A Vineyard in My Glass by Gerald Asher.

Dawn, I've got that trilogy; Quicksilver being the first book in it - just have never got around to reading the darn things...

As far as the moon, let's be glad it is where it is.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI