Grayson (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

S1 -> Grayson (1/2/2018 4:08:04 PM)

I hate winter.
No school tomorrow.

Looks like wine for breakfast.
Yesterday it was brunch in flip flops, golf, pool, bike in FL.

Eddie -> RE: Grayson (1/2/2018 5:06:59 PM)

It was -3 here this morning. Your complaint falls on deaf ears.

mtpisgah -> RE: Grayson (1/2/2018 5:37:22 PM)

It was 13 here today which was not a big deal for me. My poor sweet little wife though forgot her keys in my car and her spare key is at the shop where I left it last week after getting new tires installed. So she had to ride her bike the 1.5 miles to work. She said it was not too bad, but she made me pick her up.

CranBurgundy -> RE: Grayson (1/2/2018 5:41:23 PM)

It was a comparatively balmy 23˚ (Fahrenheit, not Celcius) this afternoon here in Noo Joizey today.

cigar52 -> RE: Grayson (1/2/2018 8:29:41 PM)

50 here currently in Sarasota. 11:30 but expecting low 40's by daybreak. Stay safe.

S1 -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 3:46:59 AM)

Latest forecast is 2-4" on the coast and 3-6" inland, with a layer of ice under the snow.
We have friends from Boston flying here tomorrow; they've booked a golf weekend...

Charleston has no snow removal equipment, and we have tall bridges. DOT is trying to brine/salt the bridges but, with lows in the upper teens for the next few days, it is a losing battle. The last time ice event in Charleston was the impetus for us looking for a place in FL.[:D]

Eddie -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 4:01:59 AM)

It's too cold to snow here! 4 degrees F at the moment; we seldom get snow at temperatures below 20.

Just lay in some hanger steaks, Scott, and open up some Napa cabs. Let it snow.[:)]

S1 -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 4:10:06 AM)

Grocery store
Build a fire
Wine

the end[:)]

Eddie -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 4:17:20 AM)

Accuweather says "Icy mix, heavy at times, for at least 120 min". I expect that quite a few pine limbs will fall. Morning commute will be interesting in Chas today.

musedir -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 4:35:06 AM)

Just plain cold here... too cold to snow but plenty cold to mess with your head. Like Dr. C, its back to school today for Dr. M and a full schedule it is.

For me, its get dressed, get a haircut, get my mani/pedi, stop by Vet’s office for some more serum drops for my doxie’s eye, stop by the grocery for a few things and then back home and turn on the electric fireplace ([:o]).

khmark7 -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 6:04:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

Latest forecast is 2-4" on the coast and 3-6" inland, with a layer of ice under the snow.
We have friends from Boston flying here tomorrow; they've booked a golf weekend...

Charleston has no snow removal equipment, and we have tall bridges. DOT is trying to brine/salt the bridges but, with lows in the upper teens for the next few days, it is a losing battle. The last time ice event in Charleston was the impetus for us looking for a place in FL.[:D]

Thoughts & Prayers [:D]

khmark7 -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 6:06:44 AM)

Seriously, looks like a nasty storm in the south, especially for the snow handicapped regions. Additionally i read there is a big wind storm striking Ireland & England as well. Fun winter weather.

hankj -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 7:05:00 AM)

Skiing's been great so far this year here out west. Need to get together with Skifree after the next round of storms :)

KPB -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 7:16:13 AM)

Fleeing the cold. My mom rented a place in Sanibel, so we are out of this place Saturday: first Savannah just to be tourists (have never driven in that area), then eventually down to Sanibel for one week.

Any recommendations for the Georgia part of the trip would be welcome!

Looks like by the time we get there on Saturday night, the ice will have melted...

S1 -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 11:25:54 AM)

as of 2:15 p.m.
expecting around 4 more inches and temps dropping to 22 tonight.
[image]https://image.ibb.co/keOdNG/3.png[/image]

KPB -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 2:02:55 PM)

Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

(And if no fireplace, substitute: "but this wine is so delightful...")

mtpisgah -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 5:22:09 PM)

My parents have a few inches in Sumter and my dad is all giddy about it.

KPB -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 6:18:50 PM)

No suggestions for Savannah?

Temperature is 17 here, but probably -2 by morning. For us this isn’t really way out of the norms in January.

mtpisgah -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 6:22:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Temperature is 17 here, but probably -2 by morning. For us this isn’t really way out of the norms in January.

I can only vouch for the Crystal Beer Parlor. A little better than typical bar food, but great beer selection.

ChrisinCowiche -> RE: Grayson (1/3/2018 6:31:06 PM)

quote:

For you, normal. Savannah will shut down. I was there to visit my brother in late 1980's. 3 inches of snow closed that City for a week.

I haven't been back since then, so don't really know any specific current places to visit, but I'd presume River St, the main tourist drag along the river is still there and active.

musedir -> RE: Grayson (1/4/2018 4:30:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

as of 2:15 p.m.
expecting around 4 more inches and temps dropping to 22 tonight.
[image]https://image.ibb.co/keOdNG/3.png[/image]

Lordy! Bless your heart!

S1 -> RE: Grayson (1/4/2018 4:51:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

For you, normal. Savannah will shut down. I was there to visit my brother in late 1980's. 3 inches of snow closed that City for a week.

I haven't been back since then, so don't really know any specific current places to visit, but I'd presume River St, the main tourist drag along the river is still there and active.

Unfortunately, Chris might be correct. I'm not sure of the final snow total in Savannah, but Charleston got 4-6 inches and just about everything is closed today and tomorrow.
Our daughter went to SCAD but graduated 6 years ago. I'll text her and ask for recs. Paul is correct about Crystal Beer--been there forever and pretty decent (but crowded/touristy).
Another fixture is Kevin Barry's Irish Pub, on the river walk.

KPB -> RE: Grayson (1/4/2018 5:26:53 AM)

Hopefully they will be open by Sunday when it actually matters to me. We get in kind of late Saturday night. But I remember trying to visit New Orleans 25 years ago during Christmas, in what turned out to be the “deep freeze” year. Not a great vacation... every pipe in the whole city burst and flooded the streets, then it all froze... we bailed, eventually, came back a year later! But looks like this freeze won’t do as much damage or last as long.

Up here, Grayson is definitely a non-event except for the cold, and we’ve had -15 within recent memory, so -1 is not really setting any local records. Canceling a lot of flights, though, and my niece may get delayed or rerouted on her flight home from JFK to Tel Aviv.

Honestly, when I compare this with the similarly-hyped Hurricane Sandy, there seems like a whole lot of talk for an event having very little direct impact. Ok, 15” of snow in Boston, but they sometimes get 4’ or 5’ dumped on them, maybe once every year or two. Sandy more or less shut down the region for ten days! So why such a big deal?

I wouldn’t want to be on a boat out in the Atlantic today, granted. And the weather pros are clearly totally fascinated by the low pressure record, but ignoring where that is happening..., which is what? 100 miles off the coast?

S1 -> RE: Grayson (1/4/2018 6:16:38 AM)

I think you will be fine on Sunday--I'll talk to the Princess.

Most Chas bridges/access ramps are closed so we are trapped inside all day. I'm searching for a movie to watch with HRH.
[image]https://image.ibb.co/ieXewb/5.png[/image]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI