drinking cellar mistakes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Smaragd -> drinking cellar mistakes (1/8/2018 6:51:04 PM)

there was a post about "cellar fatigue" a year ago...

Anyone else drinking up the last of wines that you might have bought a few years ago and, now, you think better of?

I am making some room in the cellar for an impending purchase and looking at a few things that don't hit me right anymore. A wine that ended up being a poor vintage that is now past prime; a brunello I bought in excessive amount and hasn't shown well with 10 years on it; a half-case of nebbiolo that turned out not worth the space. Still, they are too good to drink frivolously.

I also wonder if I'm hitting "wine fatigue" in general. I need some new directions to pursue.

CranBurgundy -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/8/2018 7:02:00 PM)

With palate shifts, disposable income changes, and some *gasp* common sense entering my decision making, I'm also due a hard look at what's still in my cellar. Luckily, I have been able to sell any questionable decisions and replace those mistakes with more solid choices.

There are some experiments it's time to check in on, like 6 bottles each of 2012 H3 and Columbia Crest. I've had good luck with aging inexpensive domestic Cab before, and I wanted to see if I was correct in guessing these two might improve over time.

Smaragd -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/8/2018 7:07:25 PM)

Yeah, I'm mostly experiencing palate shifts, alongside a very expensive and humiliating thing known as "learning". Though I'm tempted to blame it all on the wine itself, or whoever sold it to me. :)

CranBurgundy -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/8/2018 7:09:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: smaragd

Yeah, I'm mostly experiencing palate shifts, alongside a very expensive and humiliating thing known as "learning". Though I'm tempted to blame it all on the wine itself, or whoever sold it to me. :)

Hahaha! I've been VERY lucky with the learning curve. Having friends in the right places saved me thousands of dollars of trial & error.

Smaragd -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/8/2018 7:11:28 PM)

The nice thing about Trial and Error is ... you can drink both!

doc2 -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/8/2018 7:25:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

With palate shifts, disposable income changes, and some *gasp* common sense entering my decision making, I'm also due a hard look at what's still in my cellar. Luckily, I have been able to sell any questionable decisions and replace those mistakes with more solid choices.

There are some experiments it's time to check in on, like 6 bottles each of 2012 H3 and Columbia Crest. I've had good luck with aging inexpensive domestic Cab before, and I wanted to see if I was correct in guessing these two might improve over time.

I tried H3 once. Let us know how it goes.

BornToRhone -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/8/2018 8:37:27 PM)

quote:

A wine that ended up being a poor vintage that is now past prime; a brunello I bought in excessive amount and hasn't shown well with 10 years on it; a half-case of nebbiolo that turned out not worth the space. Still, they are too good to drink frivolously.

Remind me again how these are too good to drink frivolously? Sounds to me they are perfect wines for a TOGA PARTY! Let friends drink them up for you - they will then be gone, and you will have gained goodwill and cellar space!

fingers -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/8/2018 9:01:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BornToRhone

quote:

A wine that ended up being a poor vintage that is now past prime; a brunello I bought in excessive amount and hasn't shown well with 10 years on it; a half-case of nebbiolo that turned out not worth the space. Still, they are too good to drink frivolously.

Remind me again how these are too good to drink frivolously? Sounds to me they are perfect wines for a TOGA PARTY! Let friends drink them up for you - they will then be gone, and you will have gained goodwill and cellar space!

A very salient point. Isn’t it all frivolous? Might as well appreciate the interest on your (completely discretionary, hedonistic, and even ill-advised) investments [;)]

Not that we need it to survive... only to thrive
All Hail, Dionysis

jmcmchi -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/8/2018 9:52:46 PM)

quote:

some *gasp* common sense entering my decision making

Is that something to do with being hit over the head by a bored wife?

KPB -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 5:17:27 AM)

Now and then it makes sense to just not give much thought to wine. You aren’t under any obligation to drink the stuff, including the cellar mistakes! In my case, I don’t keep genuinely bad wines if I run into any. But I do have too much of some fairly good wines, and that bugs me a little. They aren’t at a level where selling them in a wine auction makes a lot of sense, but many are definitely good enough to sell to a restaurant.

Are there resale paths specifically aimed at restaurants and similar outlets that might buy fifteen or twenty cases of good wine for consumption in the next few years? I would pursue that, for sure... but I think outright UCD go down the drain. My mistake, my consequences...

barolo300 -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 5:44:00 AM)

I cook with these... often improves the dish and my cellar!

CranBurgundy -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 6:49:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

some *gasp* common sense entering my decision making

Is that something to do with being hit over the head by a bored wife?

The evil eye works just as well. Plus realizing that spending stupidly lessens the amount of funds for the really good bottles.

quote:

ORIGINAL: barolo300

Yeah, baby!

[image]https://i.imgur.com/QqzPqZU.png[/image]

Beef stew is soooo much better after marinating the cubes in some unwanted Bourgogne or Cab.

pclin -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 7:29:54 AM)

I gave away at least 20 cases of OZ wines to friends and relatives over the years.

pclin -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 7:31:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: barolo300

I do that too.

pclin -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 7:32:42 AM)

Sold most of CDPs but may have few to give away in the future.

CranBurgundy -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 8:14:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pclin

Package them up with take-out sushi as Christmas gifts. [;)]

WineGuyCO -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 8:28:16 AM)

I minimize my mistakes by buying no more than 4-6 bottles maximum for a wine that I'm not sure about. If it's good and I wish that I bought more I have a lot of other good wines so I don't cry about it. If I know the wine then I will buy as much as 8-10 bottles (Kobalt, Outpost, Carlisle) and once in a while a case. My cellar only holds 300 bottles so I like to have smaller amounts of a lot of different things. I also keep it a "high quality" cellar so there aren't any $20-$25 bottles in there usually.

This way I don't usually have any negative surprise. I'm sure this is more difficult for those with larger cellars who are buying case and multiple case amounts at a time. My process works for me and I manage my cellar quite efficiently.

Rick

pclin -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 9:32:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pclin

Package them up with take-out sushi as Christmas gifts. [;)]

Wouldn’t I need magnums of CDPs for such wonderful event? [:D]

thesternowl -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 10:20:20 AM)

This is why 1) I strive for diversity in my cellar and 2) have spent time and energy discovering the world of beer and spirits. I find that I don't get bored as often and I can better appreciate bottles for what they are. The comments about learning and frivolity resonate with me. Trials and errors are all part of the fun and enjoyment.

wadcorp -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 3:34:02 PM)

quote:

I also wonder if I'm hitting "wine fatigue" in general. I need some new directions to pursue.

This is why we opt for cocktails a couple times a week. Remember: gin is good!

With all the different boutique gins these days, it's great to try some different styles. Just had The Botanist, an Islay gin (yes, I said that right). Scotland is not just made up of single-malts.

With the moratorium going on, the cellar is shrinking. Most of the inexpensive bottles are gone. We've had more than one night where "What would go good with pizza?" ended up being a $65 Napa cab. And damn if it didn't taste good.

The key is to not get too precious with your wines. They're made for drinking. You might be saving them for a special occasion, but remember: opening them makes it a special occasion.

fingers -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 4:12:25 PM)

Really good to hear from you again, waddy

wadcorp -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 4:18:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Really good to hear from you again, waddy

New year. Same drivel. [:D]

mtpisgah -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 6:27:59 PM)

I find myself having this problem sometimes, we usually cook with the under performers or take them to parties where people do not care. And then there are times that Dr. C does not want wine so I open a bottle I should not have bought, drink half, and freeze the other half to cook with. I am out of space so am buying fewer cheap bottles just to free up space in the cellar. 1st world problems.

S1 -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 6:54:11 PM)

I save mine for offlines.

BornToRhone -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/9/2018 7:08:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

You pour it into empty Burg bottles, I KNEW IT! [;)]

thesternowl -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/10/2018 8:09:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

ZING!

AngryPrez -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/10/2018 9:52:37 AM)

lots of opportunities to use no-longer-desired bottles at charity fundraisers as donations - win-win for everybody.

dsGris -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/10/2018 11:00:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AngryPrez

lots of opportunities to use no-longer-desired bottles at charity fundraisers as donations - win-win for everybody.

Works for me. I usually gift more expensive wine than I drink.

khmark7 -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/10/2018 4:38:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AngryPrez

Yep, done that.

Not sure i would call anything "mistakes" although i do have quite a bit of wine from vintages that i no longer fancy. It happens.

dsGris -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/10/2018 5:18:15 PM)

I've moved away from warm climate wines, but they are well received my others. I will occasionally open one to test the waters, but generally move to a cool climate wine and let others finish the bottle. I would not call them mistakes, because at the time, I liked that style.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI